Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hiding an X10 Camera  (Read 31277 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Hiding an X10 Camera
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

Although I am a big fan of showing the bad guys that I do have a video monitored and alarmed setup. I also don't care to show ALL my cameras ether. After all.... how hard is it for a for intruder to pull a cap down over their face if they know where all the cameras are at. I like to include one [clunky] IR camera up in an eve is a good place... easy to spot (they even glow a pinkish red at night when on). I truly believe... this helps to deter crime.

Then I like to have one camera... that's easy enough to spot if you look around.. but also appears as if it was intended to be hidden.

The regulars here at the forum have all seen my "birdhouse camera" in my original X10 Video. But today I decided to see where else I could hide a camera. I used a wireless color camera I had already used as part of an antenna modification... but I think just about any X10 camera wired or wireless would work for this.

Of course as with most of my projects... it required the use of a Dremel [rotary tool)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:38:31 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Hiding an X10 Camera
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »

How high do you have it mounted?

Seems like the field of view would be limited if stacked close to the ground.

I have some solar lights that look like that. It's probably wishful thinking but it would be cool it you could power the camera from the rechargeable battery.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:59:53 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:35:59 PM »

Dave x10 L, is that an omni directional antenna on that camera?  Do you have a "How to" posted for that?  Nice job by the way!  I got a bunch of those around!   #:)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »

Dave x10 L, is that an omni directional antenna on that camera? 

Yes it is.
Do you have a "How to" posted for that? 

Not really a "how to" just the link antenna modification... that I already had added. I had read elsewhere about replacing the antenna... which was fairly successful (It doesn't send channel "D" well).

I modified both the camera and a Ninja base. The idea was a CM15A controlled, Voice Command for my security robot.

But any camera can be hidden... and I think just about any could be used in lawn-lamp setup. I was just looking for fun new ways to hide a camera.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:19 AM »

Dave_X10 you are a genius at work! Very, very, cool idea. How do you bury your power cables, and what kind of wire do you use?

Along the same lines of subterfuge, I put mine in empty Coors and Bud cans in front yard and in the concrete blocks proping the wheels of my 1989 Lincoln Mark VII.  The weeds  hide the wires.  We never had any break-ins before camera installation...but you can't be too secure I always say.  rofl

(made ya smile)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:01:29 PM »

How high do you have it mounted?  Seems like the field of view would be limited if stacked close to the ground.

The camera lens is only about a foot off the ground. But it doesn't seem to present any problems... it can see the front door fine.
I have some solar lights that look like that. It's probably wishful thinking but it would be cool it you could power the camera from the rechargeable battery.

Of course RED is solar powered.. so I know it can be done.

And someone does make solar powered (motion activated) wireless cameras. It would be my guess... that the typical solar lawn light just doesn't generate/store enough power for much camera time.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »

...It would be my guess... that the typical solar lawn light just doesn't generate/store enough power for much camera time.
My solar charged LED lights each run on a single NiCd battery so I know mine wouldn't have enough for a camera.  :(
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 12:57:37 PM »

(made ya smile)

Made me laugh!
WOHOO!

But the questions about the wire were real. Since you bury your power supply runs, are you using anything special? (heavier guage, or thermostat wire for better moisture / insect resestance, etc)

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »

But the questions about the wire were real. Since you bury your power supply runs, are you using anything special? (heavier guage, or thermostat wire for better moisture / insect resestance, etc)

Actually I've only tested the setup... by running an orange extention cord and plugging into that. But the "plan" is to use the same heavy duty zip-cord that I would normally use for the 12 volt lamps. But solder the stereo plugs on the ends for the cameras power supply.

Many.. if not most of my cameras have been extended in one way or another. I've used an S-video-like cord, coax, pre-made phone extention, and even Cat5 all of which I have buried. The only problem I've had is the lighter colored cords have been chewed. It was as if the critters couldn't tell the beige cord from plant roots.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:22:07 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »

The only problem I've had is the lighter colored cords have been chewed. It was as if the critters couldn't tell the beige cord from plant roots.

Great information!

I was going to use thermostat wire since it is double insulated. I am now switching to RG6.
Thanks!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »

Actually I've only tested the setup... by running an orange extention cord and plugging into that. But the "plan" is to use the same heavy duty zip-cord that I would normally use for the 12 volt lamps. But solder the stereo plugs on the ends for the cameras power supply.

Many.. if not most of my cameras have been extended in one way or another. I've used an S-video-like cord, coax, pre-made phone extention, and even Cat5 all of which I have buried. The only problem I've had is the lighter colored cords have been chewed. It was as if the critters couldn't tell the beige cord from plant roots.

Dave_ X10_L,

Are you extending your power supplies at the point where the camera plugs into the power supply or what?
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 11:08:56 PM »

... Are you extending your power supplies at the point where the camera plugs into the power supply or what? 

I have my power supplies safely in my basement. I extend the wire (often underground) to the cameras.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:21:14 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:07:04 AM »

>! Thanks
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 08:37:43 PM »

Along the same lines of subterfuge, I put mine in empty Coors and Bud cans in front yard and in the concrete blocks proping the wheels of my 1989 Lincoln Mark VII.  The weeds  hide the wires. 

We must think alike!!!

I am giving you a helpful for that great idea! I once again got out my Dremel 9rotary tool).... only this time used a wired Nightwatch camera. I thought I'd use my "dave w beer can camera" to keep an eye on the 1976 Ford Granada (also on blocks). Not that the Granada is so valuable itself... but because it so closely resembles a Mercedes-Benz it may attract questionable types (hedgefund managers?)

[hope I made you laugh]

images have been removed
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:25:45 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.