Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Macro will turn off device, but doesn't turn it on  (Read 7344 times)

tirebiter

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Macro will turn off device, but doesn't turn it on
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »

I have two wall switch modules connected to my porch light and street light.  They both turn on and off just fine when I access them through the "Room" screen in AHP.

I have written single line macros to turn these lights on and off.  The off macro always works but the on macro never does.

Is this a known problem?  How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Macro will turn off device, but doesn't turn it on
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »

....I have written single line macros to turn these lights on and off.  The off macro always works but the on macro never does. Is this a known problem?  How can I fix it?

George

"On macros" work just as well as "off macros". I would try a macro rewrite.

Often with the wallswitches... people can be confused by 100% bright... as opposed to ON. If your not trying to dim the lights.... I would rewrite the macro(s) assigning the house/unit codes as appliance modules instead of dimmable switches. And of course... look for little errors like an incorrect house or unit code... or off instead of on for a trigger.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:51:19 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »

X10 wall Switches are known for problems like this ever since they made then with soft-start(ramps on and off instead of full on/off).

I told AHP that all my wall switches are lamp modules and all worked fine. Just have to lie to the software alittle. Can try 2 way lamp modules or like Dave if you don't need dimming you can set them up as appliance modules.

What bulbs are you using also?
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

tirebiter

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:26:20 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  It really helped me figure out what's happening, although I still don't fully understand why.

My macros were very simple to just get the hang of how they work.  The "ON" macro had one line that simply had a "Turn <light> ON" command.  I didn't see any way to distinguish it from transitioning from being OFF vs. increasing brightness of a light that was already on.  And the OFF macro (the one that worked) simply had a "Turn <light> OFF" command.  In both cases, the display in the "room" window switched as expected from off to on (for the ON macro) and from on to off (for the OFF macro).

I now have two different modules defined for each light.  One is an OFF/ON only appliance, and the other is a light switch module with a brightness control.  The ON macro uses the appliance module to turn the light on, and the light switch module to adjust the brightness.  It's working as expected.

I don't agree that it should work this way, but I'm happy that this workaround is as effective as it is.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

tirebiter

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »

Normal light bulbs.  They're in outdoor fixtures, so I don't know the wattage, probably 60 or 75.  But, thanks again, my problem is solved.  I've worked with computers for 35 years now, and I'm pretty used to accepting whatever solution solves the problem.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »

, and I'm pretty used to accepting whatever solution solves the problem.

That statment means you will love and do fine with X10 stuff. It doesnt make since but it works.. lol
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.