Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fan and light control unit in One module  (Read 15110 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Fan and light control unit in One module
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »

Something that might be useful:  A "combo" module for an overhead fan with lights.  Two different functions: one to control the fan and one to control the lights.  One Housecode, two unit codes would have to be used.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Fan and light control unit in One module
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »

While it is optimistic to ever expect it to happen, as long as we're dreaming let's have an option to have one of the codes dimmable.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:18:54 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:07:50 PM »

Something that might be useful:  A "combo" module for an overhead fan with lights.  Two different functions: one to control the fan and one to control the lights.  One Housecode, two unit codes would have to be used.
YES!

I have been asking for one of these also. I think X10 would sell a bunch...appearently they think not. I ended up squeezing an appliance module and a Lamp module up in the shroud. (Hugger style, so the shroud is large). A kludge, but functional.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 09:23:31 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:42:44 PM »

YES!

I have been asking for one of these also. I think X10 would sell a bunch...appearently they think not. I ended up squeezing an appliance module and a fan module up in the shroud. (Hugger style, so the shroud is large). A kludge, but functional.

Unfortunately, my dining room OH fan shroud is just big enough house one module, but not both modules, that why my original post was made. I may have to replace the single wall box with a duplex/triplex box and drag more wires to the fan.

ciaccia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »

Let me ask you this.....Do you have metal boxes with plaster/drywall rings or are they plastic boxes?  If they are metal with rings that means you have a 1900 box / 4" square box and I have a solution for you that is a 10min fix.  Your current box just holds one device correct.  Also tell me when you open up the box how many conduits or romex cables are in it and locations top, bottom, left side, right side.  and I can guide you through an easy solution without damaging your walls.

Ricky

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:25:25 PM »

I live in a house that was built in 1928 and the wiring is a mix of conduit and twisted pair wiring.  You have no idea what you are dealing with until you take the cover off the light switch.  The box that currently controls the fan (and its lights) is a single gang box.   

That's why I posted "I may have to replace the single wall box with a duplex/triplex box and drag more wires to the fan."

Putting the fan and lights on X10 is very low on my "things to do" list

ciaccia

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »

Ok...but if it is just a single gang box or a 1900 box with a single gang ring converting it to a two gang box is fairly simple and easy...but if it is plaster and lathe or wire mesh you may have some patching due to the nature of the plaster cracking during the switch.  FYI

Ricky

Let me know if you need any more info!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.