Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you be intrested in controlling your home automation system via SMS and MSN? Feel free to say why or why not and read the thread ;) !!!

Yes
- 18 (75%)
No
- 6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Text Message/SMS Control  (Read 70909 times)

ThePharaoh

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Text Message/SMS Control
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:39:41 AM »

What device are you going to use other then the firecracker?

I now plan on using the TW523 two-way X10 controller.
Also, not everyone always has interent or instant messaging available to them all the time. People usually always have their phone though, and many people have texting plans. Also, im curious to no if anyone has another way that they would like to control their device, Email i heard was one, but people dont realize that just the delivery of an email has like a 3 second delay, let alone the reading and commanding..... But anyone, i would like to hear your ideas, including ones on how i can improve the device im builing, and as i said, it can control 256 devices according to x10's technical support agent.

***edit***
does anyone no how i can decide on how much this device is worth? If i can get it to dim and brighten, and control 256 devices? Just as a reference, the phone controller costs 80 dollars and controls 10 devices, and i do not think it brightens or dims

Thankyou
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:05:28 PM by ThePharaoh »

ThePharaoh

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »

Ok my final exams just ended...*phew*...and my summer break begins tomorrow....*yay*....so now i will dedicate my time to the completion of this product. As i said, i am planing on making a profit from this, since i need a summer job, so i will make this device as professional as i can. Also, i found a really sweet idea for my casing, i am making it "tron style"...i will post a picture.

Anyway, i am going to try to make the following features:
-control of 256 devices
-bright/dim/on/off/device status....( so an example..i plan on making u send a text ....in the format.... kitchen lights on) etc....
-send u a response text message with your device's status
-a gui for the device that allows u to change names of your devices (you connect it to ur pc...run the software...and change the names ....simple)
-of course...text message control
-control via a dedicated twitter
-a super sexy case

case picture....example...idea...thingy:

(by the way...the case is actually glowing...) sweeet eh? i might change the color of the lighting when i make it

im gonna keep u guys updated if you are intrested...

***edit***
forget the fancy case idea..it will just raise the price and electricity draw...its useless.....if you really like it...heres instructions on how to make your own  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-TRON-Style-Lamp-The-MADYLIGHT/

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:11:18 PM by ThePharaoh »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »

Mine most likely won't be taking any of the landscape of my desk as it will most likely will be behind the computer and therefore won't need to be lighted either.
Function is far more important than making it look pretty so a "super sexy case" isn't needed for me.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

ThePharaoh

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »

that is why im making em custom ;) also i can make the device either wireless or wired....to make it wireless im going to install a router inside the device...and the user bridges it to their router wirelessly (very simple btw....) or you can just connect it to your router via ethernet cable

also...steven...what functions do u want....and how much would u pay for the functions u want

lol...btw...im asking u cuz u seem most interested...lol

***edit***
its all wireless now, based on the x10 protocol, it communicates with your existing system
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:59:29 PM by ThePharaoh »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »

Well it you're designing for me then KISS.
A simple Ethernet connection is fine for me no need for the router expense. As far as features, in order of importance...
  • bright/dim/on/off/
  • Control of 256 devices
  • Default simple interface using just HC/UC [command] regardless off any - Detailed text commands defined. i.e. "Out of the box" operation before text messages are programed.
  • Texted confirmation of command received & executed
Sorry I still can't really make a estimate as to a fair selling cost but I think I paid around $29 for my telephone control and if your product can do all the the above, it could be more useful than my phone control.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »

Yes!

Any way I can sas off to my computer is great.

As long as it understands me all the time.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

ThePharaoh

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 07:35:31 PM »

Okay, so i will have to setup the twitter accounts for the user on my own. And i estimate that it will take 100-150 to complete this project since im going to try and use parts that last (it should take about a week for everything to arrive....)....and maybe a week to completely program everything....im very optimistic about how this will work out

btw steve...IT WAS ONLY 30 DOLLARS FOR YOUR TELEPHONE CONTROLLER!!!
thats actually impressive..the one i found was 70-140 dollars...and only controlled like ten items...(http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/161/sesent/00)
also..im intrested in how it works....do you call a number and say like...lights on or something...also...can u brighten or dim?

Any way I can sas off to my computer is great
what do u mean? im lost

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »

...IT WAS ONLY 30 DOLLARS FOR YOUR TELEPHONE CONTROLLER!!!
thats actually impressive..the one i found was 70-140 dollars...and only controlled like ten items...
...can u brighten or dim?...
This is the one I have.
It might of been a bit more but I'm pretty sure sure I got it on sale. I know I didn't pay $70 for it. I really don't remember what I actually paid and yes it can only control 9-10 items depending on how it is configured. Sadly it also only will do ON and OFF so I think there is a market for your idea. To get the most out of mine, I have it control a few macros.

ThePharaoh

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 06:45:11 AM »

I think i could build the devices cheaper and have them more user friendly if they are connected to the computer and run via a sofware instead of making them COMPLETELY standalone...and it would make it easier for me ;)

So, just to make sure...would you be capable of running another software on the pc you have dedicated to your x10 system? and would this idea be better for you guys...i guess since you already have a pc that already is on 24/7 it shouldnt be too much of a problem....but i want to make sure....

It would connect to an internet enabled pc via usb (probably the one running your x10 software)...and you would run the  included software...do the initial user programming (basically naming your devices....) and that would be it....

I ordered the parts yesterday...so ill experiment with one that is completely standalone and the one i mentioned above...

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »

...i guess since you already have a pc that already is on 24/7 it shouldnt be too much of a problem....but i want to make sure....

It would connect to an internet enabled pc via usb (probably the one running your x10 software)...and you would run the  included software...do the initial user programming (basically naming your devices....) and that would be it....

I ordered the parts yesterday...

Don't forget.... these Home Automation Computers don't JUST run software. They usually run a CM15A (an X10 PC interface) that allows control of the 256 X10 House/Unit codes. The CM15A has a SDK that can be downloaded from X10 for free.

So whereas.... the HA PC's already running 24/7 has an interface that can freely connect to user created software.... the CM15A refuses to operate in conjunction with OTHER similar interfaces.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ThePharaoh

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47:48 AM »

I am making the device with its own software and controller....it will not be related to the existing system whatsoever....im making the software myself...all that you will need to do is run the software im making on the same pc, and keep the controller i built connected via usb...simple...eh?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »

Simple, but an addition $100+ would be out of the question for most of us.  Why not write to the CM15A and save us all a few bucks?  The CM15A interface comes with an SDK, and user designed software will run with AHP.  In the end, KISS goes well with "Keep It Cheap".
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »

..... the software im making on the same pc, and keep the controller i built connected via usb...simple...eh?

As long as the software your using isn't talking to an additional X10 device (like... a TW523 two-way X10 controller) the CM15A shouldn't care. Heck... the CM15A might NOT mind if you use a TW523... I don't know. I can't say I've ever read anything about anyone using one.

I like Knightrider's idea!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ThePharaoh

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »

My software will communicate with an arduino...which will communicate with another x10 controller....also...if i can get this method to work...the whole system with the software will be about 70-150 bucks...maybe less....and i will definitely make it cheaper for the first couple buyers since its in a beta phase and ill offer full tech support...also...i think the price isnt too bad...since the phone controller only allows on/off for ten devices and is 70 bucks....but dont worry bout the price....we'll figure it out once im done...im also going to try to do timers and status checks....but overall...by making it partially pc based i think i can make it cheaper....

wish me luck!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 10:01:16 PM »

good luck
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.