Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to use Door Switch DS10A to ring Chime SC546A - Keeping it simple  (Read 15367 times)

KBradley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I would simply like to install a DS10A on 3 different entry doors in the house and have it ring a Chime SC546A whenever a door is opened. 

I was hoping to be able to simply trigger the TM751 Receiver I have plugged in.  Was hoping they would all be recognized on address A1 (or any default address), for example.   Didn't realize there were no "settings dials" to set the address of the DS10A switches until I opened the boxes.

I have a CM11A and Active Home (Std) and a Firecracker Kit CM17A available, but neither one installed at this house.  Was just trying to keep this as simple as possible.  This setup is simpy to alert my grandmother from her bedroom, if my grandfather (with onset of dementia) tries to open one of the doors in the middle of the night and go outside.  Don't need a full home-automation system here - needs to be SIMPLE and bulletproof.

I currently have it working with some MS14A wireless motion sensors in the hallway, and it works fine.  Wanted to add the door switches and remove the motion sensors.  Was hoping the door switches would work the same way.

I do NOT have ActiveHome Pro (or OnAlert) software or the new CM15A.  Also do NOT own the PS561 Voice Dialer Console.
Do I absolutely NEED either of these products to recognize the DS10A switches?

What is my least expensive option to get the switches to simply ring the chime when the door is opened?  What devices do I absolutely need to get this to work?  Thank you.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: How to use Door Switch DS10A to ring Chime SC546A - Keeping it simple
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:48:44 PM »

What is my least expensive option to get the switches to simply ring the chime when the door is opened?  What devices do I absolutely need to get this to work?  Thank you.
You need the cm15a Activehome Pro with On alert!
Or the DS7000.
the DS7000 will do the chiming 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:51:14 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »

You should be able to use a Powerflash Inteface module.  Disconnect the reed switch from the DS10A and connect it to the Powerflash.  The Powerflash module will send a signal that will operate the chime.  The downside is that you will have wires routed around your doorframe to the nearest AC outlet.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »

You should be able to use a Powerflash Inteface module.  Disconnect the reed switch from the DS10A and connect it to the Powerflash.  The Powerflash module will send a signal that will operate the chime.  The downside is that you will have wires routed around your doorframe to the nearest AC outlet.
Not the cheepest route  as KBradley stated three doors need to be monitored!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »

Not the cheepest route  as KBradley stated three doors need to be monitored!

True, but bulletproof and cheapest are sometimes tradeoffs.  We all know that sending data over the powerline is not bulletproof  ;), but it may be more bulletproof than relying on an RF transmission and batteries.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »

The simple, cheap, easy way to go.... is just get the DS7000 console... and let it's chime, chime.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

KBradley

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:00:52 AM »

1.  It doesn't have to be "bulletproof" in the sense that it is 100% on and is a critical security component.  It just has to be easy to use/maintain for my Grandmother (no computer monitoring, or regular maintenance).  Simply needs to work (battery replacement is no problem, etc).  She just wants to be able to monitor the doors opening (with a chime alert), to know if my grandfather is trying to go outside in the middle of the night.

2.  Does the PS561 console chime (like the SC546A), or is it only a "Siren"?  I don't want it to be deafening loud, but needs to wake her up.  It will be in the same room, so doesn't need to be too loud.  The chime volume on the SC546A is actually good.  How does the alarm on the PS561 console sound???

3.  I understand that if I use Active Home Pro/OnAlert software and the CM15A receiver, I need to leave the computer running for the door switches to trigger the SC546A Chime?  Is this true - do I really need to leave the computer ON to perform this simple task?  If the CM15A picks up the door switch signal OK, why can't it simply trigger the Chime on a particular address?  Seems like it defeats the purpose of a security system (and is energy wasteful as well!) to need to leave the computer running at all times.  Wonder why X10 decided to design the DS10A security switches to operate on a different frequency, so that they just can't be picked up like any other X10 device by a TM751 receiver, for example.  They should operate and transmit a signal just like the Motion Sensors (MS13A, MS14A, MS16A).  Don't understand why they don't.  X10 SHOULD make a Door Switch that transmits a standard signal like the MS16A, so that it can trigger an event in a standard system, and not require the use of a PS561 security console.

4.  I realize I can use the Powerflash module and hardwire the magnetic switch to it - thanks for the tip.  I had thought of this before also.   However, there are no convenient power receptacles anywhere near the entry doors and the installation would look kind of sloppy with all the extra wiring exposed in places.  Would like to keep it neat & discrete as much as possible.  Any other comments/suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks for all the responses so far.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »

KBradley
The DS7000 is your best bet as  Dave_x10_L stated!
I gave one of these to my mother and she loves it!
The DS7000 will chime each time a door is opened (ding dong) and will chime if a door is left open for a extended period!
It will also sound a allarm if set to arm and has a panic feature too!
It also has battery backup so if power fails it still works!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

picoVerse

Is it true that the intruder can defeat the
dial out feature just by picking up the phone?

Can a cellphone do the dial out?

Can the software be set up to send out a signal over the internet at one second intervals and when that signal is not recieved then you would know an intruder was afoot?  Could this signal go to a different house or an iPhone?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

Is it true that the intruder can defeat the
dial out feature just by picking up the phone?

Yes... and no. If setup correctly the dial-out will not be interupted that simply. However... disrupting the phone line on even the priciest of alarm system.. is very simple.

Can a cellphone do the dial out?

Yes... and very cheaply and easily. New BlueTooth phone intergrading devices makes this a simple setup. There are other posts here at the forum... a search should turn up all the info you could want.

Can the software be set up to send out a signal over the internet at one second intervals and when that signal is not received then you would know an intruder was afoot?  Could this signal go to a different house or an iPhone?

I would have to assume... your referring to using AHP and the On Alert software. Where as this PC based software can be used to send, email alerts and such... I am not aware of a "signal over the internet at one second intervals" type of monitoring software capability.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.