Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remember RoboDog?  (Read 4061 times)

DIYguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • I can build that!
Remember RoboDog?
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »

Unfortunately RoboDog has gone away and not known if it will ever return.  Now I'm looking for an equivalent replacement as a motion activated barking dog or similar but haven't found one.  I have a water garden / water feature in my backyard that includes Koi and goldfish.  My backyard also backs-up to a wooded exception area.  This combination is an open invitation to the local raccoons that like to visit in the middle of the night.  Even though I have two motion activated floodlights that trigger a chime indoors I would like to find a more effective deterrent than me running out on the deck at 2:30 AM to yell at the coons.

Does anyone know of an audio device that works similar to the RoboDog that can play a wav file when triggered by a PIR motion detector?  I doubt the neighbors would be appreciative if I hooked up a siren that went off ever time a coon visited the pond.  I think a barking dog would be more effective and less likely to trigger a disturbing the peace call than a siren or power horn in the middle of the night.
JJ
I may not know what I'm doing when I start.....but I will by the time I'm finished!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Remember RoboDog?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »

If you have a CM19A or CM15A you could use a third party software to turn on a wireless speaker and play a sound file.
This Question has be asked before and there were other suggestions! Doing a search for "robo dog" I'm sure will turn it up!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »

DIYguy

FWIW

We had nightly visits from racoons who took a liking to a hummingbird feeder on our patio. One racoon even set up a juice stand and tried to charge other racoons for the hummingbird's juice...the nerve. Anywho, I set up motion detector and wireless speaker and a text to speech file to "holler" at the racoons when they got on the patio. I found out racoons are neither dumb, nor timid. It took about two weeks for them to figure out the voice threatening arrest due to sales tax fraud was bogus, and could be ignored...sigh. We had to bring in the feeder at night.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:28:10 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

DIYguy

• I can build that!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »

I am completly shocked that such a simple product need has no equivilent solution existing in the market place.  I'm just looking for a simple, self contained audio device that can be mounted and on trigger, play digital audio file, stop and wait for next command.  This is what RoboDog did without elaborate speakers, wiring etc.  They have the micro audio players that fit in gift cards for a couple bucks that do the same thing but can't find the full size equivilent.

The problem I'm having isn't just the 'coons.  During the last week I've noticed my Koi are skittish and on closer count discovered six missing.  Couple days ago (Wednesday) when I went out to feed the fish at 7:30 AM I dicovered a blue heron at the edge of the pond about to go for another meal.  Once a heron finds a fish'n hole it will return until there is nothing left to eat. That evening a bolted a spiderweb I made from 80# braided fishline over the top of the shallow end of the pond but I still want a second layer of deffense.  The motion activated sprinkler (Scarecrow) is to unreliable.  Sometimes goes off every 60-90 seconds, other times I can walk back and forth six feet in front of it and it won't go off, same sensativity setting.

I want to have multiple floods to come on when they detect motion which the two X10 floods do quite well.  This trips the chimes in the house which gets me flying out of bed and out on the deck (not sure if the 'coons do it deliberatly for the show).  I will be finishing installing my second layer of four double bulb floods linked to a motion detecter tonight.  These are mounted under the deck area.  I want the same PIR motion detecter that trips the floods to activate the barking dog.  Have everything except the barking dog.  Preferably the version I don't have to clean up after, the grackles are bad enough!
JJ
I may not know what I'm doing when I start.....but I will by the time I'm finished!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »

Don't forget this [one of my favorite] homemade DIY modifications the smartdog (homemade MP3 dog) created by RCaddict. Using a looping MP3 player and X10 [appliance module or TM751] activated computer speakers... triggered on by a EYE sensor.

RCaddict used parts he had laying around the house to put together his robotdog.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

DIYguy

• I can build that!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:01:43 PM »

Dave W:  Looked at the Rex options but they all list Radar detection "see's through walls" and not sure how that's going to work with with 10'-20' range detection for critters.

Dave:  Looked at those set-ups also, to much stuff going on for an outdoor installation.  Need compact, semi-weatherproof.  Also with an MP3 player not sure how it triggers, plays, resets and waits for next trigger.

Just finished installing four more flood lights and installed Hawkeye motion detecter to trip lights.  They trip as desired from primary floods but don't react to the motion.  Another issue :-(
JJ

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:24:06 PM »

...  Dave:  Looked at those set-ups also, to much stuff going on for an outdoor installation.  Need compact, semi-weatherproof.  Also with an MP3 player not sure how it triggers, plays, resets and waits for next trigger.

I use the X10 floodlights (PR311) to trigger my setup... I actually use a BVC voice announcement and display the activity to my TV (if the TV is on). I have YouTube Video... so you can see (and hear) for yourself.

I use a single speaker mounted outside under the eve. Its hardwired as the other half of a computer type two speaker set.

The smartdog created by RCaddict (see link) is really simple. The rechargeable MP3 player is connected to its charger, plugged in, and set to continuously loop through its MP3's. The "songs" (MP3s of barking dogs) play continuously. The motion sensor turns the powered (computer type) speakers on (by merely using a TM751 or appliance module to supply the AC).... which allows you to hear the MP3. The non-powered speaker... is the one that would be hardwired to the outside.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:41:37 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.