Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS3 Wall Switch (WS13A) Suddenly Not Working Any More  (Read 5985 times)

Montlaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPS3 Wall Switch (WS13A) Suddenly Not Working Any More
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:51:48 AM »

I got this wall switch back in late April. It had been working fine either via ActiveHome Pro or handheld remote (I got CM15A) until a few days ago it stopped working. Even the manual rocker won't turn it on or off. Really puzzled by this. This is very simple single switch configuration (see the following for the installation). Any one with similar experience?

Installing the Wall Switch Module (single switch applications, diagram A)
• Disconnect the power at the circuit breaker.
• Remove the wall plate and unscrew the existing switch from its box.
• Locate the Neutral wire in your switch box (this is a white wire, NOT a bare copper wire). Connect this white Neutral wire to the
NEUTRAL terminal on the WS13A.
• Remove the Live wire from the old switch and connect it to the LIVE terminal on the WS13A. Use a meter or circuit tester to
determine which wire is live.
• Remove the wire which goes to your light from the old switch and connect it to the LOAD terminal on the WS13A. Push the wires
into the appropriate holes on the back of the WS13A and then tighten down the screws on the side of the module.
• Screw the switch into the wall box and replace the wall plate

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPS3 Wall Switch (WS13A) Suddenly Not Working Any More
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:36:47 AM »

Have you double checked the connections. Off chance one of them got loose or the wire in one of the terminals was not seated in far enough.
If it will not even turn on and off with the paddle. It may have failed or the power to the switch is bad.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

Montlaker/Brian

The XPS/WS13A does not have the small power ON-OFF slide switch below the rocker like a WS12A or XPD series does it?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »

I don't think they have a disconnect switch Dave. I don't see one mentioned in either models users instructions.
Good point though as it is a common thing to check. The two wire switches have them as the power for the switch is through the load and changing the bulb could result in a surprise.  :o

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »

Sometimes a spade is a spade.  Over the last 20 or so years, I've had about half a dozen WS467's go bad.  I chalk it up to rural electric power, but who knows?  I guess that's why I always keep a spare around.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.