Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RWS17 / WS12A dimming question  (Read 10685 times)

mag

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RWS17 / WS12A dimming question
« on: June 04, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »

I've got a freewire remote and controller that doesn't have dim/bright switches.  Can the RWS17 / WS12A be controlled as a dimmer using the on and off buttons or does it require a dimming capable remote / controller?  The X10 Pro instructions as posted on SmartHome (http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2201phn.pdf) indicate at the bottom of the first page that "Additionally, any X10 Controller can remotely operate the full functions of the Switch."  That seems to be pretty clear but, since some controllers have dim/bright switches, I'd like to be sure before I buy one.

Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: RWS17 / WS12A dimming question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »

I will look at my Freewire Manuals but I don't remember any of the remotes having a dim feature.
Which models do you have. I would guess the FWMH Messenger Hub and either the FWKR Keyfob remote or the FWIR Indoor remote.
I know they can control X10 modules so you could turn on and off the switches you mentioned. I don't think you would be able to dim and brighten with the Freewire Hub and Remote.

mag

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:12:22 PM »

You guessed it - FWMH hub and FWIR remote (without any dim/bright buttons).  The weird thing is that most x-10 dimmer switches say that they require the dim/bright on the remote/controller but this one (RWS17) makes no mention of that and instead says that it works with any controller...  The wall switch only has two buttons - a quick push is on/off and holding down does dim/bright so I though that perhaps the remote could work the same way? I'm inclined to think that you're correct, though - and it won't work...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:26:53 AM »

No X10 module that can dim or brighten require a controller that has dim and bright buttons.
The ones that can only do on and off. Just turn them totally on and off.

The Freewire modules [lamp; appliance; weather resistand lamp; screw in socket] can also be controlled by any X10 controller.

Freewire was made for Black and Decker by X10 as an OEM product. The FCC ID Number has a prefix of B4S. That is X10s and in the FCC database X10 is listed as the grantee for the B&D products.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »

The weird thing is that most x-10 dimmer switches say that they require the dim/bright on the remote/controller

I think the context of that is: "IF you want to control the brightness of the lamp, you need a remote with DIM/BRI buttons". Not all X10 remotes have that capabilty (i.e the the small keyfob and credit card remotes).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.