Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creating a macro that sends an "ON" signal multiple times  (Read 24335 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Creating a macro that sends an "ON" signal multiple times
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 07:24:30 PM »

....If the module reports that it is off then you can resend an ON command. Wait 5 seconds and rerun the loop until the module responds with an ON response.

.... Eliminating the signal problems like noise and signal suckers; may make the status thing unnecessary.

Brian H is correct. I don't have anything that fails to respond. If I did I would find the cause and fix it.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 07:02:31 AM »

I just had another thought.  -:) The same noise or signal sucker that prevents the X10 On and Off signal getting to the module. Would also make a Status Request or the Reply unreliable also.

KenWong

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 02:01:50 AM »

Hi Boiler,

Well I had some email correspondance with Jeff V. and there seems to be some wiring, cutting a whole in the wall for a recepticle, buying his $160 piece of equipment.  More involved than perhaps I would like.

I think I will go with your option 1
1) XTB-IIR plugged into the 220V dryer receptacle/CM15a installed at XTB-IIR front panel.  With the CM15a installed in the XTB-IIR digital input socket (110V) the XTB will boost signals on both phase A and B directly.  No additional coupler is required.  This is probably the best install, however it requires that your computer be located near the load panel.

*OR* what do you think of me simply buying another $50 CM15 and putting it on the "other phase" as my first CM15a that is by my computer.  Naturally I would have to sync the second CM15a everytime I made a program change but I would have to do that syncing with your option #1.  This would save me buying the XTB-IIR and the appliance plug etc.   Will this work well?

Thanks guys for your advice!

Ken

Boiler

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 07:58:09 AM »

Hi Boiler,

Well I had some email correspondance with Jeff V. and there seems to be some wiring, cutting a whole in the wall for a recepticle, buying his $160 piece of equipment.  More involved than perhaps I would like.

I think I will go with your option 1
1) XTB-IIR plugged into the 220V dryer receptacle/CM15a installed at XTB-IIR front panel.  With the CM15a installed in the XTB-IIR digital input socket (110V) the XTB will boost signals on both phase A and B directly.  No additional coupler is required.  This is probably the best install, however it requires that your computer be located near the load panel.

Hello Ken,

I'm a little confused by your comment that installing the XTB-IIR would require wiring a new 220V outlet.  Did you explain to Jeff that you had a 220V dryer receptacle available?

*OR* what do you think of me simply buying another $50 CM15 and putting it on the "other phase" as my first CM15a that is by my computer.  Naturally I would have to sync the second CM15a everytime I made a program change but I would have to do that syncing with your option #1.  This would save me buying the XTB-IIR and the appliance plug etc.   Will this work well?

Thanks guys for your advice!

Using CM15a's to communicate between the phases can be made to work but it's not at all easy.  You would need to create macros to receive commands from every possible unit.  The macro would then retransmit via RF to the CM15a on the opposite phase.  I've done something similar to this with my CM15a's - but I would not recommend it.  It winds up becoming a very involved programming installation and it is a maintenance headache. 

If you wish to approach this from a minimal standpoint, you could simply install a passive coupler at your dryer outlet.  This will improve the coupling across the phases but may not be sufficient to allow signals to make it to your other building.  The link below is for a 3 pin plug in dryer coupler.  Smarthome also sells 4 pin plug in units if that is the configuration of your outlet.

Smarthome Plug in phase coupler: 3 Pin 220V Dryer Coupler

Smarthome also sells plug in dryer repeaters - I can't recommend these as the have been reports of problems between the CM15a and these repeaters.

If you elect to go the passive coupler route, you should notice an improvement in your communications within the house.  This should allow you to assess where your problem devices are within the house.  You can then try to isolate problem devices with filters or add a XTB plug in amplifier (option 3) to increase the signal level.

KenWong

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »

Hi Boiler and others you helped me on this issue:

Post date:   I simply bought another CM15a, loaded all of my macros on it and then plugged it into a receptacle on the "far side" of the house, or alternate circuit, where the signal use to get lost and this works like a charm.  So now the only inconvenience I have is when I update a macro on my computer and primary CM15a module, I also need to get my second module and update it for the new macro.  Inconvenient, but cheaper and no rewiring etc needed.  I was able to get another module for $30 on the X-10 web site under the refurbish area.

thanks all!

Ken

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »

There are several members that started out using two CM15s but later sprung for a true phase coupler / repeater because of the "sync" problems. But, hey if it works, it works...

Thanks for letting us know of your success.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.