Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Regular Audio + HA Audio (voice feedback) over home theater?  (Read 9251 times)

delta504

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi guys, VERY new at home automation and only somewhat familiar with audio.  I'll place this here since it's really not dealing with the automation itself.

I'm getting a basic X10 set to start with along with AHP + Bill's Voice Commander for voice control and feedback (I like that so far unless something else that comes up blows BVC out the water).  So basically, I'd really like to utilize my existing surround sound speakers for BVC output simultaneously with my home theater setup, but of course without spending hundreds on mixer/amp/ect.  I have speakers in kitchen, living room, master bed, and patio....so if I could figure this out it would be a perfect output solution being that it's already designed.  Then all I'd have to worry about is mic input....but that's a different animal.  Anyway, the idea behind it would be ease of use, so I really don't want to get into switching inputs back and forth for audio feedback becuase that will defeat the purpose of......well....automation  :P.

That said, I know it can't be as simple as hooking PC output direct to my speakers.  That's an audio no-no, but aside from that I'm not sure what CAN be done.  This had to have come up before or perhaps someone out there has this exact setup and I'd love to hear about it. 

I'll continue my web searching but any help, even a link posted, would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Regular Audio + HA Audio (voice feedback) over home theater?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »

........ I'd really like to utilize my existing surround sound speakers for BVC output simultaneously with my home theater setup, but of course without spending hundreds on mixer/amp/ect.  I have speakers in kitchen, living room, master bed, and patio....so if I could figure this out it would be a perfect output solution being that it's already designed. 

You'll need some sort of preamp between your computers soundcard and the amp your using for your Home Theater. The preamp will draw amperage from (and limit the draw from) the sound card (if you just hooked up a bunch of speakers.. the draw would kill your soundcard).

I ran a system of computer (desktop) amplified speakers for my BVC Voice. As a preamp... I used a [cheap] amplified computer speaker set. I have the computer soundcard output going to the speaker with the amplifier... and that speakers output feeding the other computer amplified speakers.

I am NOT an audio guy... but my setup has worked for me for a couple years. A better preamp would be a smarter idea since your using a pricey speaker setup. You might want to look at X10's audio senders... that would allow you to send audio from the computer to the amp... and not even need a preamp (I don't think).

Then all I'd have to worry about is mic input....but that's a different animal. 

Bunches of ideas on microphone setups! Back when BVC was still a toddler... I experimented with ways to get my voice to the computer. The little handheld CB radios didn't work.... and nether did a bunch of computer microphones plugged into the computer's Microphone Jack with adapters. But just about everything else did.

Although the system of choice seems to be intercoms... I am still using El-Cheapie Baby Monitors. At $17 a set (per microphone) the price is hard to beat. Check out my BVC Fan Site... for more (hopefully helpful) links... than anyone will ever need.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:46:33 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

delta504

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »

Excellent Dave!  Thank you for leaning me in a direction to try.  Internet searches come up with 100 different ways to do it and 1000 different products to do it with lol.  I'll give it a shot with powered speakers first to see how it works and then perhaps move up to a good preamp.
  I've visited your site and will definitely be using the baby monitor mod, that one is a keeper!

Thanks again   

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »

...Thank you for leaning me in a direction to try. 

No problem delta504... and welcome to the future of Home Automation... as well as the X10 Forums. And don't forget Bill also has a great forum with helpful infomation.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

delta504

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »

^^ Yeah still waiting for admin to activiate :).  So I'll see you there when admin decides so.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.