Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dialing Out In Panic Mode  (Read 15999 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Dialing Out In Panic Mode
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »

Hi guys just got finish setting up two systems for friends, and with both systems I noticed that when I was checking the systems and pressed the panic button both systems dialed out. The instructions on page 18 indicate that they should only dial out if the system is armed and triggered form a sensor, so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Haven't decided if I should recommend sending both consoles back under warranty. Other then that both systems have performed flawlessly.

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:06:53 AM by tom j »

kdfederer

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Dialing Out In Panic Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:55 PM »

From what I understand, the unit will dial out in "panic" when the unit is armed.
If the unit is not armed, it is not supposed to dial out.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »

The instructions indicate that they should only dial out if the system is triggered normally form a sensor, so I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Haven't decided if I should recommend sending both consoles back under warrenty.

Tom j.
Page 18 of the instructions seem pretty clear. Does it work that way? If not, "send-er back"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:56:26 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:30:32 PM »

From what I understand, the unit will dial out in "panic" when the unit is armed.
If the unit is not armed, it is not supposed to dial out.

No it wasen't armed neither one, so I guess they are going back! Why can't x10 get it right. I mean that was two not one, both appear to be defective. hmm  ???

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 06:19:33 PM »

Well, I think X10 makes engineering changes that affect operation and worries about changing the instructions a year or two later. Maybe call X10 and get them to nail down how the unit should behave?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 08:01:36 PM »

Yes you may want to double check and see if X10 changed the operation.
The new Soft Start Lamp Modules and Wall Switches where not instantly documented when released.
When the new MT12A MiniTimer was new. The downloadable instructions where for the older MT10A MiniTimer.  ???

tom j

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »

Well, I think X10 makes engineering changes that affect operation and worries about changing the instructions a year or two later. Maybe call X10 and get them to nail down how the unit should behave?

Good idea  -:) better call and find out maybe they did change it and it's not appearing in the instructions, there is a lag time with x10 so you might be right sure hope that's it after I told my friends how much better these units are then when I first got mine. Thanks!!

Tom j.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:05:45 AM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »

Say anyone out there reading this that recently bought one of these, maybe someone could check to see if theirs dials out when you press the panic button. Thanks, I will try to contact tech support through.

Tom j

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »

Say anyone out there reading this that recently bought one of these, ........ check to see if theirs dials out when you press the panic button.

I am thinking I bought this one about a year ago last Jan-Feb. I just tested the panic... and it worked fine.. but no phone call.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:54:33 PM »

Say anyone out there reading this that recently bought one of these, ........ check to see if theirs dials out when you press the panic button.

I am thinking I bought this one about a year ago last Jan-Feb. I just tested the panic... and it worked fine.. but no phone call.

Thanks!! for the help Dave well I'll call to double check thinking these are defective guess I'll let them decide if they want to return them. Will check back and let you know what x10 says.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 12:58:14 AM »

Guys finally got a response from x10, a guy named Eric Boyd replied. I explained that the unit was dialing out and referred him to page 18 in the manual. NOW check this out he suggested I just UNPLUG IT if I didn't want it to dial out. I told him why would do something stupid like that because if I had a break in and I wasen't home how would I know. He then said just unplug it from the phone jack before pressing the panic button and that would resolve the problem. Can you believe this apparently x10 is willing to say anything to avoid honoring their warranty. Really thinking about suggesting to my friends that they just return everything and buying something better. I might even just block x10 advertising for a year or so this really has me steamed. Copied all the emails so you can see for yourself.

Tom j.

Emails Below If You Can Believe It.

Hello I have a question concerning my Protector Plus console, when you press the panic button it dials out, but the instructions state that it's only suppose to dial out in the panic mode if armed, mine dials out regardless. Every time you press the panic button it starts to dial the 4 preprogrammed phone numbers. Thanks

Tom j.

Eric Boyd

80c11 I've had this thing less then a year why is it dialing out?? appears to be defective, I'm guessing.

Tom j.

--- On Mon, 7/6/09, Eric Boyd <prioritysupport@x10.com> wrote:

Subject: [THR32681645]: Protector Plus Console
To: curt312000@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, July 6, 2009, 6:45 PM

Greetings!

There should be a small white circular sticker with a code like 01A23 on your console-check the battery compartment. What is the date code on your PS561? If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!

Eric Boyd | ericb@x10.com | X10 Email Support | http://kbase.x10.com/

Yes that date code 08C11 s correct and PLEASE I'm not going to disconnect the phone line!!!!! I want it to dial out if there's a burglary!!! just don't want it to dial out if the panic is pushed and it's not armed see page 18. And no ones else has one  does this so I know this one is defective. Thanks

Tom j.

--- On Mon, 7/6/09, Eric Boyd <prioritysupport@x10.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [THR32681645]: Protector Plus Console
Date: Monday, July 6, 2009, 8:37 PM

Greetings!

That date code would indicate that your unit was produced in 1980; are you sure that does not read 08C11 instead?

I am investigating the possibility that recently produced consoles have been modified to always dial out when PANIC is pressed. I have not heard back on this, but I expect it is more likely true than not. To disable this functionality, disconnect the phone line.

If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!

Yes that date code is correct and PLEASE I'm not going to disconnect the phone line!!!!! I want it to dial out if there's a burglary!!! just don't want it to dial out if the panic is pushed and it's not armed see page 18. And no ones else has one  does this so I know this one is defective. Thanks

Tom j.

On Mon, 7/6/09, Eric Boyd <prioritysupport@x10.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [THR32681645]: Protector Plus Console
Date: Monday, July 6, 2009, 9:44 PM

Greetings!

>I want it to dial out if there"s a burglary!!!

You can always reconnect the line before arming the console. You do not want it to dial out anyhow if the console is not armed, correct?
>this so I know this one is defective. Thanks
If you have other consoles that do not do this, please provide their date codes. If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!

Finally he said if I wanted one that doesn't dialout that I would have to provide the date code!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:30:29 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »

Guys just heard from Mr. Boyd and I guess he has had a change of heart. Hmm I wonder why.  :D  ;D  rofl Just so that there's no confusion when I discovered that my two friends consoles were dialing out I decided to check the one I have as a backup to my DSC system. Well I pulled it out dusted it off and discovered mine would also dial out when the panic button was pressed. It's clearly stated in he instructions page 18 that unless it's armed that this in not suppose to occur. Then when I called x10 they gave my tech support and the problems began. Actually x10 is going to come out ahead on this one I won't be blocking their emails and will be purchasing the 299.00 dollar Vanguard Camera I was considering, now that I found out how to repair the cheap plastic gears, and my friend has become so dependent on his that he's not going to send his back until he buys that PS561 console package for 50 bucks with the motion detector and extra key fob so that he won't have to be without a console, and also has a backup. So you see it just doesn't pay to try to screw the customer, and always remember not to send emails that you wouldn't want posted for the world to see.  B:(  ;)   ;D

Tom J.

Greetings,

Your console is defective. We can offer you an exchange if you purchased the unit directly from X10.com within the last twelve months, or if your order included an extended warranty plan that has not expired. In order to process an exchange, we will need your sales order or invoice number. I tried searching under curt312000@yahoo.com, but did not find any PS561 console orders from the last year. If it cannot be located, please send all information submitted on the order (email address used, whether the order was placed by internet or phone, items in the order, date order was placed, etc.) to help narrow the search. If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!

Eric Boyd
ericb@x10.com
X10 Email Support
http://kbase.x10.com/

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:48 PM »

>! Glad to hear you got it all worked out tom j !!!!!

I to had a run in with Mr. Boyd about a year ago when I purchased my camera set up, and couldn't get it to work on Vista. IMO he was rude, very unprofessional and wasn't helpful at all! I contacted X10 and was then routed to a Level 3 tech who fixed my problem in less then 5 sec.. Afterwards I received an email from Mr. Boyd saying he was sorry and glad to hear my problem was fixed. If it hadn't been for the level 3 tech I was going to box up all my X10 stuff and send it back!

:' Now that I think about it.. That Level 3 guy cost me lots of money.......    rofl I can't quit buying the stuff now !!!!!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

tom j

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »

>! Glad to hear you got it all worked out tom j !!!!!

I to had a run in with Mr. Boyd about a year ago when I purchased my camera set up, and couldn't get it to work on Vista. IMO he was rude, very unprofessional and wasn't helpful at all! I contacted X10 and was then routed to a Level 3 tech who fixed my problem in less then 5 sec.. Afterwards I received an email from Mr. Boyd saying he was sorry and glad to hear my problem was fixed. If it hadn't been for the level 3 tech I was going to box up all my X10 stuff and send it back!

:' Now that I think about it.. That Level 3 guy cost me lots of money.......    rofl I can't quit buying the stuff now !!!!!

Hi Kramer!!! yep ditto to that I feel the same way, this guy is rude and thinks he's smart by trying to give the customer the run around basically trying to wear them down and hoping they will go away, well I had NO intention of going anywhere, and although I really didn't want to block x10 I was prepared to do so I won't be abused by a company that I've spent that much money with. Hopefully management will read some of this stuff and have a talk with Mr. Boyd about his tactics with their valued customers, Glad everything is working out for you!

Tom j.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »

I would guess that Mr. Boyd is probably overwhelmed, and was just having an off day.  Probably hard working for X10 and hearing all the same complaints all the time while your boss is wanting you to save money by not offering refunds.
Two sides to every story, and I'd bet Mr. Boyd isn't quite at the top of the food chain, so to speak.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.