Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Help With Noise Filter  (Read 54991 times)

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
Re: Help With Noise Filter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »

Wow you could buy 2 of the 15amps for that price......

Let us know how it works out
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

tom j

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »

60 bucks yeah right found it on eBay for if you can believe it for 5 BUCKS!! Probably would of got the one Kramer gave me a link to but they want 8 bucks to ship. Say guys how difficult would this be to install in your gain box. Also it says to place it as close as possible so where would be the best spot to place it, at the plug itself?  B:( 

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »

Found this installation manual for the PFX on eBay see below seems like I'll have to run the hot all the way from the basement to the Freg, am I reading this correctly.

Tom j.

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xpf.pdf

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 10:49:19 PM »

am I reading this correctly.

I think you merey need to mount the filter between the breaker panel and the Freg(?).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 01:40:01 AM »

but they want 8 bucks to ship.

The widget costs N dollars.  Some eBay sellers charge actual cost of the item, and actual shipping.  Others subsidize the price of the item with the shipping charge.  Most people don't check the total delivered cost, and just grab the one with the lowest quoted price.  Years ago some sellers were almost giving away MP3 players, but then charged $25 or more for shipping.  eBay rule changes stopped most of that, and shipping charges are more reasonable today.

How much do you think it costs to ship something anyway?  Priority Mail starts at 5 bucks.  Add the cost of packing materials (PM boxes are free but bubble wrap and packing peanuts are not).  And then add the time for packaging, printing packing slips, shipping labels, etc.  Eight bucks is probably pretty close to the actual cost of shipping one unit.

I know places like Amazon offer free shipping.  They negotiated a much better rate from the carrier than the average Joe can get.  The same goes for shipping supplies.  And I'm sure their shipping department is tuned for maximum efficiency to minimize the costs.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 06:20:33 AM »

XPF filters can be found for less than $60.

tom j

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »

I'll check that shipping  -:) but could someone check that link and tell me exactly how to install this thing. Thanks!!

Tom j.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 01:45:22 PM »

The XPF wires in series with the hot line feeding the load, and also connects to neutral.  While it works best when located near the load, it can be installed anywhere in the run between the circuit breaker and the load.  Everthing past the filter will be isolated from the rest of the power distribution network at the X10 carrier frequency.  Note that the filter is large.  It will fit in most deep triple-gang electrical boxes.  It may not fit in the plastic boxes with screw ribs extending into the box at the top and bottom.

Jeff

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 03:07:36 AM »

Tom,

I too discovered that one of my fridges simply brought my system down when it would start to cool. I used the plug-in 15amp AF120 filter, which I found on eBay for 24.99 + 5 s/h. It worked out great. The best part about it is that it's actually fused. That means that if something goes wrong, all I have to do is replace a small fuse unlike X10's that are not fused.

I ended up doing the same thing for my washer (newer high efficiency model) because it brought down almost half of my house too.

tom j

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »

Tom,

I too discovered that one of my fridges simply brought my system down when it would start to cool. I used the plug-in 15amp AF120 filter, which I found on eBay for 24.99 + 5 s/h. It worked out great. The best part about it is that it's actually fused. That means that if something goes wrong, all I have to do is replace a small fuse unlike X10's that are not fused.

I ended up doing the same thing for my washer (newer high efficiency model) because it brought down almost half of my house too.

Hi Great thanks! that's the way I'll go. Seems a little bulky and does it plug under the unit or on the front can't really tell from the picture.

Tom j.

fromnaija

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »

Tom,

Smarthome is having a sale of the AF120 for $17.99, but of course you will have to pay shipping.
http://www.smarthome.com/4845ACF/15-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter-AF120/p.aspx

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »

Yes the external fuse is a nice thing to have and hope you never need to change.  ;D
Smarthome's five and ten amp filters also have fuses, but are internal and are soldered in.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 01:03:31 AM »

Hi Great thanks! that's the way I'll go. Seems a little bulky and does it plug under the unit or on the front can't really tell from the picture.

Tom j.

It is a bit bulky, but it comes with a screw that you'd use for the center of the gangbox front plate. It holds it nicely. The plug is at the bottom. The units I got were off-white, whereas X10's are dark brown and would not have gone well with my white wall. I have a total of 5 of these units around the house.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »

It is a bit bulky, but it comes with a screw that you'd use for the center of the gangbox front plate.

Just be careful if you have metal wallplates.  The XTB uses the same case, and one recently came back that "failed".  The unit still worked fine, but the top of the plug prongs had been melted, and the case was scorched by the prongs.  I suspect an unfastened metal wallplate slipped down and shorted the prongs together when the unit was plugged in.  I may switch to the case without the mounting flange to prevent that from happening again.

Jeff

tom j

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »

The XPF wires in series with the hot line feeding the load, and also connects to neutral.  While it works best when located near the load, it can be installed anywhere in the run between the circuit breaker and the load.  Everthing past the filter will be isolated from the rest of the power distribution network at the X10 carrier frequency.  Note that the filter is large.  It will fit in most deep triple-gang electrical boxes.  It may not fit in the plastic boxes with screw ribs extending into the box at the top and bottom.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!! I'll show this to my electrician. This helps a lot.

Tom j.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.