Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Help With Noise Filter  (Read 54985 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Help With Noise Filter
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »

Oh yes. I have plastic wall plates and had one slip on to the pins of the adapter I was screwing to the outlet. I can just imagine if it was Metal.  BANG  ???

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:52 PM »

Hi Great thanks! that's the way I'll go. Seems a little bulky and does it plug under the unit or on the front can't really tell from the picture.

Tom j.

It is a bit bulky, but it comes with a screw that you'd use for the center of the gangbox front plate. It holds it nicely. The plug is at the bottom. The units I got were off-white, whereas X10's are dark brown and would not have gone well with my white wall. I have a total of 5 of these units around the house.

Say x10dude, I actually would prefer the off white the one I saw pictured were kind of gray, say could you give me a link for the ones you purchased. Thanks

Tom j.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:39 AM »

Hey Tom, I'll send you private email with the details

tom j

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »

Hey Tom, I'll send you private email with the details

Thanks I'll be looking for it!  :D

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 01:55:31 AM »

It's hard to read in the picture... I magnified it 200% and it looks like Advanced (Something) Technologies out of Indianapolis Indiana.

Say Kramer got that 15 amp noise filter you saw on EBay works great solved my fridge problem no noise coming out of it now kind of large but I'll never really have see it. If space is at a premium might not work for everyone but it fits OK in my application Thanks!

Tom j.

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 05:11:17 AM »

:)% Glad it solved your problem!!!!!!

>! Glad I could help..........
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »

Sounds like the ACT AF120 15 Amp Filter. It is quite large but the user replaceable fuse is a nice touch.

Boiler

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »

Tom and Cramer,

The filter is an Advanced Control Technologies (ACT) AF120.  ACT is the home of "Uncle Phil Kingery" who wrote a series of tutorials on X10.

The AF120 is a pretty stout filter.  It combines both a high and low pass filter, quoted at 30:1 attenuation in the X10 frequency range.

Data sheets are located here: ACT Data Sheets

It's hard to read in the picture... I magnified it 200% and it looks like Advanced (Something) Technologies out of Indianapolis Indiana.

Thanks might email the guy when I find out I'll let you know. Probably will work just fine, largest plugin one I've seen!

Tom j.

Edit: Darn, Brian typed quicker again...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:22:58 AM by Boiler »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:08 AM »

In reality, it is a notch filter like the Leviton 6287 and the big X10 XPF.  A notch filter shunts a band of frequencies to ground, and lets frequencies above and below that pass through with relatively little attenuation.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Boiler

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »

In reality, it is a notch filter like the Leviton 6287 and the big X10 XPF.  A notch filter shunts a band of frequencies to ground, and lets frequencies above and below that pass through with relatively little attenuation.

Jeff

Really??

My schematic for the 6287 shows a resonant L-C notch filter.  Attenuation at 80Khz is minimal (~3db). 

When ACT quoted 30:1 attenuation from 80 to 200K I had assumed that to be minimum attenuation over that range.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 11:53:46 AM »

Jeff

Really??

My schematic for the 6287 shows a resonant L-C notch filter.  Attenuation at 80Khz is minimal (~3db). 

When ACT quoted 30:1 attenuation from 80 to 200K I had assumed that to be minimum attenuation over that range.
I never was a filter guru,  but it was fun to refer to a "Bose - Cherudy filter" cuz it made me sound smart.   rofl

"sound" is the operative word.  rofl rofl

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 04:35:18 PM »

Maybe I didn't explain that very well.  Maximum attenuation will be at the notch, which should be about 120KHz.  Attenuation outside the notch decreases.  While dependent on the Q, attenuation below 80KHz and above 200KHz should not be significant.  That dovetails nicely with the input stage of most X10 modules, which have a tuned bandpass filter centered at 120KHz.  You just need to block in-band noise that would get through that input bandpass filter.

Actually, a low-pass filter like the XPPF is much better at isolating noisy electrical devices from the powerline.  However, the physical size of the inductors needed to build high-current low-pass filter with sufficient rejection at 120KHz would make the unit large and expensive.  I am not aware of any being produced.  Maybe I should consider offering one for special applications...

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

tom j

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »

Also what to thank x10dude for the link he provided. The problem I was having was that when a all light on all lights off signal was given from my burglar alarm interface it would get out of sequence somehow almost like it would skip a beat, traced it down to the fridge unplugged it and the problem disappeared. The funny thing is that during the day this never happens ONLY AT NIGHT hmm..... strange, but anywho this filter did the trick Just can't figure out why this only effected the signal at night. I tried to think of something else that might be on only at night and not during the day but so far I've drawn a blank. Any thoughts guys.  ???

Tom j.

Boiler

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »

Maybe I didn't explain that very well.  Maximum attenuation will be at the notch, which should be about 120KHz.  Attenuation outside the notch decreases.  While dependent on the Q, attenuation below 80KHz and above 200KHz should not be significant.  That dovetails nicely with the input stage of most X10 modules, which have a tuned bandpass filter centered at 120KHz.  You just need to block in-band noise that would get through that input bandpass filter.

Actually, a low-pass filter like the XPPF is much better at isolating noisy electrical devices from the powerline.  However, the physical size of the inductors needed to build high-current low-pass filter with sufficient rejection at 120KHz would make the unit large and expensive.  I am not aware of any being produced.  Maybe I should consider offering one for special applications...

Jeff

The XPPF sounds very similar to the Leviton 6288 - big hulking inductors (115uH).  It relies on the series impedance of the Inductor to perform it's filtering rather than the LC resonant point of the 6287. 

I agree these filters are more appropriate for broadband noise sources.  They are also less prone to variation due to component tolerances.  I have a number of the 6288 style (smarthome) filters that vary in effectiveness due to component tolerance variation.

I've never seen a 6288 style filter in anything approaching 15 amp (typical is 5A).  The inductors in this type of device would be very large indeed to keep the coil resistance and power dissipation down.

When I read the ACT filter description, I had envisioned a 6288 style lowpass filter with a high frequency bypass cap (to give the High Pass function).  In reality, I don't know why anyone would want to add a cap to provide the High pass feature.  This is my long way of saying that you are most likely correct.  This is likely a bandstop filter, not a lowpass + highpass as described.

Thanks for keeping me honest,
Boiler
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:34:36 AM by Boiler »

Boiler

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »

I never was a filter guru,  but it was fun to refer to a "Bose - Cherudy filter" cuz it made me sound smart.   rofl

"sound" is the operative word.  rofl rofl

OK Dave,

I remember now that you're an "audio type".  Since I've never been shy of asking the stupid questions, can you explain what a "Bose - Cherudy filter" is? 

In the event that the explanation involves the use of Bessel functions, you can ignore the question.  I'd have to ask my math professor wife to explain them to me (again).  The explanation would start as "How can you not get this...".  There's a limit to the amount of humiliation I can take in one lifetime.

Boiler
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.