Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Issue 'On' in place of 'Bright 100%'... doesn't  (Read 11260 times)

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Issue 'On' in place of 'Bright 100%'... doesn't
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »

I'm still struggling to get timers to work in AHP 3.228. I've read the various threads on troubleshooting, but have not had success yet.

I have several of the Leviton soft-start wall dimmer switches which formerly did respond to AHP timers. At some fuzzy point in time, I noticed my lights weren't coming on at night. This seems to be because AHP is sending "Bright 100%" instead of "On". The macro preference on AHP called "Issue 'On' in place of 'Bright 100%'" doesn't seem to have any effect. I want to send a real "On" to these switches, but just can't get the timers to do it.

My timers work if I tell AHP the wall switches are fluorescent switches (i.e., no dim/bright). Am I reduced to this as a solution?

Rocket J Squirrel

Re: Issue 'On' in place of 'Bright 100%'... doesn't
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »

Never mind. I figured it out. The preference affects macros only, not timers. So the workaround is to put the ON command inside a macro and have the timer call the macro.

(What is it about posting a question which ensures you'll find the answer yourself minutes later?  ::))

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »

(What is it about posting a question which ensures you'll find the answer yourself minutes later?  ::))

I'm quite familiar with this. It is a well known subset of Murphy's Law
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 12:35:40 PM »

the workaround is to put the ON command inside a macro and have the timer call the macro.
To reply to myself yet again :P, using a macro turns out to be a good thing anyway with the Levitons. I've found a good sequence is

On
Delay 1 sec
Bright 100%
Delay 1 sec
Dim 30%
(or whatever final level you like)

Boiler

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »

Hello Bob,

Your Leviton dimmers are similar to the new "soft start" X10 switches.  As you've noted, they will not activate in response to bright or dim commands.

Your work around will get the job done, but it's the hard way.  Try re-identifying the switches as two way lamp modules (LM14a).  This will utilize the extended code "direct dim" protocol.  You should not need a separate "on" command with this protocol.

Boiler

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »

Hello Bob,

Your Leviton dimmers are similar to the new "soft start" X10 switches.  As you've noted, they will not activate in response to bright or dim commands.

Your work around will get the job done, but it's the hard way.  Try re-identifying the switches as two way lamp modules (LM14a).  This will utilize the extended code "direct dim" protocol.  You should not need a separate "on" command with this protocol.

Boiler
Hey Boiler.

I tried the LM14a trick first, after seeing it on this board. It doesn't work with my Levitons, which are 5-10 years old.

evadorev

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »

try to rename your wall switches wls 467, if your switches is 5-10 years old, they probably not respond to extended codes.

To make sure it transmits basic codes just check on the activity monitor F2

I`ve already have that kind of problem with Radio Shack Modules

hop it will help
Mary had a little lamp, little lamp, controlled by X10 !!!! (kid song!!)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »

One thing a lot of folks don't know is ALL  modules regardless of what name is on the case are all the same and made in the same factory.  I have modules that I've used since I began using X10 with the CP290 and DOS software.  They came from X10, Radio Shack, Magnavox (which have the code wheels inside a door!!) and even Sears.  Both lamp and appliance modules are seen by AHP as lamp and appliance modules.  They are respond to PLC codes the same way.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:15:42 AM »

One thing a lot of folks don't know is ALL  modules regardless of what name is on the case are all the same and made in the same factory.

That is certainly true of most of the devices, but I'm not sure it applies to the higher end Leviton switches (the ones with true rocker action).

Those respond to Leviton extended codes.  That protocol goes back at least a decade because those higher end switches are included in the Leviton 1999 "Decora Home Controls" catalog.  The push-on / push-off switches which are X10 clones are in that catalog too.

I don't have AHP installed now, but I don't recall seeing selections for the higher-end Leviton switches.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Boiler

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:40:13 AM »

Hey Boiler.

I tried the LM14a trick first, after seeing it on this board. It doesn't work with my Levitons, which are 5-10 years old.

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the long delay in responding...

Curious that the LM14a interface doesn't work for you.  I've used it with both my HCM06 series (true rocker) and the older 6381 series switches.

Do you happen to have a repeater in your installation?  If so, it's possible that the repeater can't repeat the extended codes.  If your Leviton units are on the opposite phase from the CM15a, they might not be able to receive the transmission.

What model Leviton units are you using?

Boiler

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »

Curious that the LM14a interface doesn't work for you.  I've used it with both my HCM06 series (true rocker) and the older 6381 series switches.

Do you happen to have a repeater in your installation?  If so, it's possible that the repeater can't repeat the extended codes.  If your Leviton units are on the opposite phase from the CM15a, they might not be able to receive the transmission.

What model Leviton units are you using?
My Leviton switches are all true rockers. I believe the 10-year-old ones are the 6381 series, with the physical address wheels and red LEDs. I also have one of the newer models which replaced those, with a green LED and software address setting.

Yes, I have a SmartHome dryer-plug repeater. (A passive coupler didn't do the trick.) So you have probably nailed my issue. But I'm satisfied with having the timer call a macro. It's easy and it works.

Finally, my really old X10 brand cheapo wall switches are starting to die. They are responding to addresses other than their own and/or not responding to their own addresses. This annoys the hell out of the wife (and me). My problem is that the two worst offenders, following Murphy's law, are behind a monolithic piece of furniture which would have to be disassembled.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »

[Finally, my really old X10 brand cheapo wall switches are starting to die. They are responding to addresses other than their own and/or not responding to their own addresses. This annoys the hell out of the wife (and me). My problem is that the two worst offenders, following Murphy's law, are behind a monolithic piece of furniture which would have to be disassembled.
FWIW It is too bad you can't easily get to the code wheels. My own experience with old X10 modules and switches changing code or mysteriously getting intermittent,  has led me to believe either gradual loss of spring tension on the wheel contacts or oxidation buildup on the switch contacts. "Spinning the wheels" usually produced a "life extension" for me.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

whsbuss

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »

One thing a lot of folks don't know is ALL  modules regardless of what name is on the case are all the same and made in the same factory.  I have modules that I've used since I began using X10 with the CP290 and DOS software.  They came from X10, Radio Shack, Magnavox (which have the code wheels inside a door!!) and even Sears.  Both lamp and appliance modules are seen by AHP as lamp and appliance modules.  They are respond to PLC codes the same way.

So are you saying the wls467 and lm14 sold on the AHP site do not have soft start? I'm looking to replace 5 year old devices with soft start ones.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »

First the LM14A is discontinued and if you do find any they are old stock and are two way.
The last one I bought was Date Code: 02L36 that is 2002 week 36 and they where from an X10 clearance sale.

All wall switches made in 2007 or later are soft start according to the X10 wiki.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim

whsbuss

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »

First the LM14A is discontinued and if you do find any they are old stock and are two way.
The last one I bought was Date Code: 02L36 that is 2002 week 36 and they where from an X10 clearance sale.

All wall switches made in 2007 or later are soft start according to the X10 wiki.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim

Okay. So on the AHP site the LM14a just comes up as the 456. So why do they have the PLM21 at $44 vs $12 for the LM456? More features?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.