Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to this - question about home security installation  (Read 6478 times)

gweston

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to this - question about home security installation
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:36:14 PM »

I'd like a security setup for 2 purposes.

First:
-Vandals frequently destroying numerous mailboxes in our area: What i'd like to do - 2 cameras at opposing ends of my property. When the mailbox is disturbed (jolted by a bat, or physically moved), for the cameras to take shots of these idiots in action.  I live on a rather dark street. I'm not sure if a usual motion detector would easily work here, as I don't want it being triggered with every car that passes by. Just when the mailbox is disturbed.

Are these shots video or still shots? What are the possibilities/limitations?

Second:
Once I nab these suckers, i'll use the cameras for general security to monitor the driveway/front yard, and a second to monitor a backyard shed/structure. I think 2 motion detectors would be adequate in this case.

I'll of course replace the mailbox with something nearly indestructible once I catch them. I want to leave the mailbox as is.. its a good target for them.

I prefer not to run wires all over the place.. so a wireless solution sounds best for me. Has anyone set up a system with rechargable batteries and a small 12v solar panel? Any other ideas or suggestions? I may consider picking up a third camera for security inside the home, to enable when we leave the house. All should be low light capable.

Are X10 cameras weather resistant? Snow/Rain..

Appreciated,
Gary.

PcTuneUpGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: New to this - question about home security installation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 04:04:32 AM »

#:)

Hi, yes the solar question is something I was looking for also. It should seem that all one would need is a rechargeable battery pack and a small solar panel to make this setup work. It would be nice if x10 came out with something like this as an addon but I think it can be done rather cheaply and easily using some off the shelf items. Anyone? Thanks!

You could possibly use a sensor attached to the post of the mailbox and have it pointed at an area that doesn't move whatsoever, like a rock wall or place a few bricks directly in it's view. Maybe limit it's range by using electrical tape on the lense and place it close to the ground pointed at something unmovable and very close by.

However, rain, insects, small animals, snow and possibly the mail man shutting the door would create at least a little motion that could be picked up.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:09:49 AM by PcTuneUpGuy »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:07:49 AM »

X10 sells a battery pack [ZB10A] for the wireless cameras so using a 12 volt supply maybe possible. This pack ran on 4 AA cells and ran for about four hours. Yes 4 AA cells is six volts. The ZB10A has a very small power supply board in it that up converts the six volts to twelve volts.

One thing that you would have to think on. The cameras are turned on and off by the powerline. Using the addressable power supplies in the camera kits. So turning them on and off; so their signals don't step on each; other would need to be addressed.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »

I'd like a security setup for 2 purposes.
First:
-Vandals frequently destroying numerous mailboxes in our area: What i'd like to do - 2 cameras at opposing ends of my property. When the mailbox is disturbed (jolted by a bat, or physically moved), for the cameras to take shots of these idiots in action.  I live on a rather dark street. I'm not sure if a usual motion detector would easily work here, as I don't want it being triggered with every car that passes by. Just when the mailbox is disturbed.

Are these shots video or still shots? What are the possibilities/limitations?

Any limitations with this stuff... is only because of imagination or wallet size. But I think your best best would be to use a DVR and record all traffic coming and going... then review and detect after ANYONES mailbox is damaged. Actually I'd put up cameras and (warning) signs.... deterring crime is always a better idea than sitting back letting it happen... and then trying to catch the violators.

Second:
Once I nab these suckers, i'll use the cameras for general security to monitor the driveway/front yard, and a second to monitor a backyard shed/structure. I think 2 motion detectors would be adequate in this case.
I'll of course replace the mailbox with something nearly indestructible once I catch them. I want to leave the mailbox as is.. its a good target for them.

Once again... I'd forget trying to send the neighbor kid (that you bought lemonaid from.. at his lemonaid stand.... five years ago) to jail. That would just be SAD. Good neighbors... make it really really hard for the bored and misguided kids to get into trouble. Set up cameras... and a neighborhood watch.. even get the city to install speed bumps.. if that can be done. Preventing crime doesn't cost as much catching troubled teens... and (because preventing crime lowers the crime rate) your home owners insurance won't go up ether.

I prefer not to run wires all over the place.. so a wireless solution sounds best for me. Has anyone set up a system with rechargable batteries and a small 12v solar panel? Any other ideas or suggestions? I may consider picking up a third camera for security inside the home, to enable when we leave the house. All should be low light capable.

Yes I used a couple small solar panels to make my X10 security robot solar powered. I even modified a ninja (antenna) to give me the distance for control I needed. You can see it in action at YouTube. The setup wasn't difficult at all... I connected the Ninja directly to the battery (a 12V lawn tractor battery). The solar panels (from harbor freight) have a little charger circuit built in. I used a little remote device similar to that used with car alarms to turn the robot (and hence the camera) on and off. The same device could be hacked and controlled using X10.

That particular robot (R.E.D.) in the video... has since been disassembled for parts for a new model (under construction). I have always planned on making my robot voice controlled.... but that's an entirely different thread.

Although SmartHome has discontinued their solar security camera a little searching should turn up some others. Or you could check out this video about how to make your own (not my video).

Are X10 cameras weather resistant? Snow/Rain..

YES!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:29:36 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.