Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WS467 only works if I call it a TM751..  (Read 7320 times)

Videonut

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS467 only works if I call it a TM751..
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »

Firstly, thanks to everyone here in the forums for all the great tips. I can't tell you how many I'm using but it seems like most, from wiring the wireless cameras to using an appliance module to turn off the VR36a so wired and wireless play nice together to antena mods for my CM15A etc....
I would have sent back all my goodies if I hadn't come here first.
So here's the story...
I have a WS467 in my kitchen to control an outside light. At the switch I can push the button and the light comes on. I added a WS467 to AHP and set it to a house and unit code(many different ones eventually). The light wouldn't respond to on and off triggers.
I then remebered that I used a TM751 for a halogen light because I was out of appliance modules. It was set to B and I thought it might be interfering. So I unplugged it and just happened to set the WS467 to B1 and when I clicked the WS467 icon in AHP it still didn't work. Then by chance I clicked the icon for the TM751 and the WS467 in the kitchen responded and turned the light on. SO I deleted the ws467 module in AHP and now I'm controlling the light on the WS467 switch using a TM751 module in AHP.
I also tried other appliance and lamp modules in AHP to see if they would control the WS467 switch but none worked.
BTW I use a CM15A.
Other than being stuck using a B1 (or any x1) for the WS467 is there any reason not to keep using the TM751 in AHP to control the WS467 switch?

Boiler

Re: WS467 only works if I call it a TM751..
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »

Hello VideoNut,

Is sounds as if you have one of the newer "soft start" WS467's.  Unfortunately, this switch doesn't function correctly when identified as a WS467 within AHP.  For more info, please see the following:SoftStart Dimmer Tutorial

Right now you are getting around the problem by identifying the WS467 as a TM751 which will issue only on/off RF commands.  While this can work, it's doing things the hard way.  You could try using the appliance module interface, which would send powerline ON/OFF commands, or use the LM14a interface as indicated in the Tutorial.

Let us know how things work out,
Boiler

Videonut

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »

Thanks for the info and link to the softstart thread. It never occured to me that that could be an issue. I tried all the sugestions in it and unfortunatly they don't work for me but I think it is part of the problem. I may have more issues due to very old wiring, 100amp service with fuses... I've had to move assorted x10 products to different plugs to get everything working properly already.
It could be a phase thing but in this case there is no option to move to different plug since it's a light. I tried every lamp and appliance module in AHP and the only one that will control the light is the TM751. I have another WS467 in my setup and it works fine, go figure.
Anyhow I really don't need the dim function as simple on off to provide light for security cam is fine.
Again thanks for your help, and maybe someone could add the TM751 option to the sticky incase I'm not the only one who runs into this. Of coarse x10 could fix the software which would be the best. ;-)

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »

OK, now I'm a bit confused.

Unlike standard appliance modules, the CM15a only communicates with the TM751 using RF.  This unit cannot receive (hear) commands sent on the powerline.

You mentioned that you removed your TM751 and your WS467 is now functioning at address B1 identified in AHP as a TM751 (sorry for the run on sentence). 

The problem with this scenario is AHP should be sending out RF commands and the WS467 shouldn't be able to hear them.  Do you have another TM751 or RR501 in your system?

Assuming that you do indeed have another RF transceiver in the system, you original problem with the WS467 may be due to a phase issue or signal absorption (closely related).  You are effectively using RF to "skip over" a problem area in powerline and then transceive in close proximity to the WS467.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »

Boiler may have hit it. If you have another transceiver it maybe close enough to the problem module; to control it.

The TM751 has no power line receiver so it can only be controlled by RF and that is why it is impolite and steps on other power line signals.

Videonut

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »

With no TM751 module pluged in anywhere in the house but using a TM751 module in AHP to control a WS467 switch here is what the activity monitor says as it turns on the light
Transmit RF B1 On
Receive B1 (Kitchen Light)
Receive B On (Kitchen Light)

Kinda fun confusing everyone :-)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:51:57 PM »

With no TM751 module pluged in anywhere in the house

No offence... but it really appears as maybe you've forgotten a TM751 somewhere.

A way to check: Unplug your CM15A. Then use a RF remote to send B1. The only way you could turn on the light... would be if you have a transceiver somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:56:14 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Videonut

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »

Seriously I've looked everywhere, this system is only a couple weeks old but I do have a bad memory.
I will check every plug inside and out again just to be sure.
 :o

Videonut

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »

Ok call me crazy but I checked every plug in the house and in the shed where I have an appliance module, but there is no TM751 pluged in anywhere. I also know I had an old TM751 and got a new one with my 1st camera package and another with a different cam package and they're all sitting here beside me.
What more can I say??
Thanks

Videonut

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 09:40:25 PM »

Well I tried Daves test and with the CM15A unplugged and a B1 command from the remote the light did go on so I must have a TM751 somewhere????????????????
Could the DS7000 have anything to do with transmitting a signal?
I'm so confused....

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 10:00:28 PM »

Could the DS7000 have anything to do with transmitting a signal?

Yes... the console is also a transceiver.

Videonut

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 10:20:51 PM »

That's got to be it then. The console is set to HC B, Unit 2
So now I should probably try a different House code for the WS467 and try the steps in the soft start thread again.
If that fails do you think that leaving the WS467 set with the TM751 module in AHP will conflict in a bad way with the security system DS7000 and sensors?
Thanks

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »

... do you think that leaving the WS467 set with the TM751 module in AHP will conflict in a bad way with the security system DS7000 and sensors?

No... I really don't think you should any problem with it at all (that I can think of).

What I would do (if I was you)... is click on the little yellow postie note at the bottom left corner of the module in AHP. Then leave yourself a note about what you've done and why (you can even link to this thread). After you've "left a note" little squilly lines with appear on the postie so you will see there is a note there (next time you discover this). I attached a picture here so you can see better what I am talking about.

As our setups grow... it becomes impossible to remember all the elements of macros that can be years old... and required no attention. The notes work for me.

Videonut

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »

Thanks for the help and great idea to use notes. Kinda like a well commented computer program can save hours when debuging.
To kinda change the subject, would placing a TM751 in my shed near an Eagleeye sensor help it comunicate better? The sensor is flakey at the best of times due to the distance. The CM15a will miss the motion off and on trigers from time to time.

Boiler

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »

Thanks for the help and great idea to use notes. Kinda like a well commented computer program can save hours when debuging.
To kinda change the subject, would placing a TM751 in my shed near an Eagleeye sensor help it comunicate better? The sensor is flakey at the best of times due to the distance. The CM15a will miss the motion off and on trigers from time to time.

Adding the TM751 in the shed will definitely get the signal on the powerline.  Whether the signal makes it back to the CM15a is a question mark (your already having powerline problems communicating with the WS467).  Give it a try (disable RF reception for that housecode in the CM15a).

If that doesn't work you might try adding a passive antenna to the Eagleeye (9" length of wire attached to the left? side of the unit).  Try searching the forum - I think it was Dave_W who uses these.

Boiler
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.