Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New User Advice...  (Read 2690 times)

JonJon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New User Advice...
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:02:29 AM »

I have just purchaced my system (Haven't received it yet) and am feeling a bit daunted by reading all of the posts so far...a techno geak I am not.
I have had items stolen from my property as well as have had two cars vandalized recientely. I purchaced the following package:

1 Wireless PC Transceiver (CM19A)
1 PAN AND TILT KIT (CR14A)
2 PAN AND TILT KIT W/ CAMERA (CR14A)
3 EagleEye Motion Sensor (MS14A)
1 Vanguard Control Center Software (SW26A)
1 Small Wireless Transceiver (TM751)
1 DVR/VCR Commander (UX23A)
1 USB Video Capture Adapter (VA12A)
1 Pan & Tilt Base (VK74A)
2 Pan & Tilt Base plus Camera (VK75A)
1 Video Receiver (VR36A)
1 NightWatch Wireless Low-Light B/W Video Camera (XX20A)

Mostly for the purpose of catching the 'lil Bas*ards...can you tell me if I have purchased the right system and is there anything else I should purchase in advance to make my life easier. I am a complete novice so any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance!

JonJon

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: New User Advice...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »

...... for the purpose of catching the 'lil Bas*ards...can you tell me if I have purchased the right system and is there anything else I should purchase in advance to make my life easier. I am a complete novice so any advice would be most helpful.

Test all the equipment in the comfort of the inside. It isn't hard to learn X10... and it's a lot easier to learn it in the living room.. than climbing up and down a ladder. After you see the equipment in action... mount it outside piece by piece. Doing this will save you lots of frustration.

Don't worry about catching the 'lil Bas*ards! They're really good kids... you may even have bought lemonaide from her (the 'lil Bas*ard girl) cardtable lemonaide stand a couple summers ago. It could be... that one ('lil Bas*ard) boy is the son of the guy down the street that gave you the plumbing advice that was so helpful. In other words... these are your neighbors... be nice.

The cameras are a good deterrent. Show them to the neighbors... help the neighbors set up thier own camera setups. Don't conceal the cameras... the kids will likely avoid your area after they are up. So the crap goes away... and the kids grow up and go to college. Its all good.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Klasdude

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »

I bought a similar system and it worked fine inside but wouldn't work outside.  After HOURS of messing with it and talking with tech support, I found out that the motion detectors wouldn't work through brick or aluminum.  If you have a brick house or and aluminum sided house, good luck.  I ended up returning the entire kit for a refund. 
I've had a second experience with X-10 and will NEVER use them again. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »

I bought a similar system and it worked fine inside but wouldn't work outside.  After HOURS of messing with it and talking with tech support, I found out that the motion detectors wouldn't work through brick or aluminum.  If you have a brick house or and aluminum sided house, good luck.  I ended up returning the entire kit for a refund. 
I've had a second experience with X-10 and will NEVER use them again. 

So... why do you come to the forum?

Motion sensors CAN send the RF signals through both brick and siding. Just think about it... if RF didn't go through your walls... could you listen to radio?

Much of X10 is NOT out-of-the-box setups. I didn't say to try the system inside... then move it outside. I said to learn X10 inside and then mount it outside piece by piece. It's too bad you didn't use the forum for help with your setup. I think you could have had good results. 

Hey.... you not one of those 'lil guys bothering JonJon are you?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:04:29 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.