Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: video cams  (Read 17425 times)

retired65

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
video cams
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:09:58 PM »

does anyone know what type of setup i could use for home security, i want hard wired to my pc, so when we are out of town ,we can check the surroundings, yet i don't to have to plug them into an ac outlet. any ideas..thank you. i've looked at the x10 setups but asking them questions igot more confused

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: video cams
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »

..... i want hard wired to my pc, so when we are out of town ,we can check the surroundings, yet i don't to have to plug them into an ac outlet.

If you want a computer [viewable] camera.. that doesn't plug into a wall outlet.. that's called a WebCam. WebCams get their power from the USB cord. Do keep in mind that any USB device can only use a total of about 16 feet of [USB] cord. That can be pretty limiting as far as checking up on a home.

But WebCams are cheap and if you search a little I am sure you can find a free download [software] to allow you to remotely view the WebCam.

X10 doesn't sell WebCams... so they likely didn't know what to say. Just curious... why not use a wall outlet? That could make your setup so much better.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:13:26 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

retired65

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »

well i want to put the cams up under the soffit of the roof looking down and out, and there is no place handy to put an outlet for each camera

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »

well i want to put the cams up under the soffit of the roof looking down and out, and there is no place handy to put an outlet for each camera

I think a WebCam might have trouble meeting your requirements. You should look at the (X10) wired cameras. They have 60 or 100 feet of cord/wire which should be enough.. but can be extended beyond that too.

Once you get the video back to the PC... you can purchase a video input card (and software) from elsewhere or use X10's video input adapter and software. Although X10 does have a log-in view you PC software/server setup... most use third party freeware like logmein (because it works better).

Keep doing your homework... lots to read and learn here!

retired65

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »

dave, would i then need to plug the cams into an ac outlet near the pc, or not..thank you

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »

The camera is low volt and would need a power supply somewhere remote from the camera itself. Most time the cable to the camera is twin a coaxel for video and a pair for the power.
M M ElectricMan

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »

dave, would i then need to plug the cams into an ac outlet near the pc

Yes. Or if you have a few, they can be gathered in another location and then another and a signal wire ran to the computer. X10 cameras turn on/and/or off to update the view you would see.

retired65

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:13:11 AM »

thanks for your reply,  dave can you  suggest an x10 package that i could use, for say a 2 or 3 camera operation, that i can see thru the internet, while we're away on vacation..thank you...jack

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »

thanks for your reply,  dave can you  suggest an x10 package that i could use, for say a 2 or 3 camera operation, that i can see thru the internet, while we're away on vacation..thank you...jack

No.. not really. I am a volunteer here at the forum and a customer myself. I often recommend products that I use, find reliable and enjoy (like the wired cameras) but I'll leave the selling part to X10 staff. I am not up on the package deals.

I haven't seen a good wired camera package deal that includes everything. But I have seen a couple color (wired) cameras for cheap as well as the (B&W) nightvision cams for cheap. But you'd still need a video adapter (and software). You can also setup to get emails with pictures when there is activity around your home (that requires motion sensors and more hardware as well as software). Often the pictures can be sent to your (email enabled) cell phone.

If you go to x10.com and sign up for the newsletter you will get tons of email offers (I think everyday) it will give you a good idea of just how LOW these prices can get. You can opt out of the newsletter later. Also take some time and read (learn) here at the forum and I think it will all go smooth for you.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:49:32 AM by Dave_x10_L »

retired65

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »

thanks for your input dave ,and appreciate the info, i'll do what you said about the news letter..jack

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.