Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: mini powerhorn mod  (Read 38075 times)

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: mini powerhorn mod
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 12:07:18 AM »

I saw one online already set up with outside siren but they stop makeing them  :-[ :-[ They it will work with x10.

cjj454

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »

My PH508 power horn puts out a short burst of warble tone when the alarm is set. Will this pick up the relay and announce to all the neighbor hood that you are about to leave home. Is their some way to turn off the PH508 tone burst when the alarm is set?

Thanks,

CJJ454

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »

My PH508 power horn puts out a short burst of warble tone when the alarm is set.

It sounds like you have the powerhorn set to the same house/unit address as the console. Try keeping it on the same house (letter) but change to any other unit (number) address.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cjj454

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »

Thanks For your help.
CJJ454

tomjonesrocks

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »

I guess I'm bumping this up--has anyone tried this mod lately?  Is this still considered the easiest/best way to try to achieve a louder siren on these systems?

Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »

Some have done the other more involved modification.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=gnesvv200kld37mebj6ev213o4&topic=21998.0

I have not seen messages on which one is most liked.

I would imagine the one in this thread would be more fussy to the exact relays coil and contacts ratings.

If you do either modification. Be very careful of the wring so nothing hits other connections.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:52:15 PM by Brian H »

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »

I just did this mod using op's radioshack reed relay part#275-0233 12vdc ($3.45) and SH10A.   I discovered that I needed to put a electrolytic capacitor (used 27uf because that's what I had on hand) across the DC output of the diode.  Without the capacitor, the reed  would not close and would vibrate sounding like the missing piezoelectric speaker.

The reed relay in turn energizes a $3 car alarm relay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=12+Volt+Relay+Car+Alarms&_sacat=0&_odkw=2+Volt+Relay+Car+Alarms&_osacat=0&_from=R40.    The car alarm relay activates a $9 DSC SD30W Alarm siren http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=SD30W.  Works great in the attic but might mount it outside.  I selected these parts based on their low cost on ebay.   By the way the reed relay works because it requires only 11ma of current to close the contacts... that's the secret sauce.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:00:04 AM by pseeker »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 06:50:33 AM »

I would agree. The cap should be used to smooth the pulsing DC. Probably best for all to add to theirs.

Since the output is designed to drive the very high impedance sounder usually a high voltage at minuscule current. The less current the relay needed the better.

Thank you for posting your findings.

fegarex

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

OK,
Excuse me for trying to do something over my head!! :)
I got the Radio Shack relay and a capacitor but I can't get it to work. The capacitor may be wrong as I can't seem to cross reference it.
I assume when all is right the output leads should just show continuity? I can read voltage from the other leads and the output leads will show a minor resistance but not enough to have continuity. Can someone give me a better idea what kind of capacitor I need so I can go to Radio Shack and buy one? BTW.... I tried the capacitor in both directions and neither worked.
Thanks,
Rex

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »

You didn't mention the diode in your purchase.
Did you also purchase and install the needed diode. To change the signal to DC.

fegarex

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

That just shows you how dumb I am... I meant diode but wrote capacitor...
I did install one (two different ones actually) but have NO idea if I have the right one. I just need someone to tell me what I need to buy at RS.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

I would think any general purpose diode with a high enough voltage rating should be fine. 200 volt or higher PIV.
OK did you add the capacitor across the relay coil to smooth out the DC.
I believe 27uf was mentioned. I would think the 22uf or 47uf 35 volt ones at RS would do.

I will look for my notes on what I used. As I had a different relay from All Electronics in mine and I removed the output transformer and switched the power through the output transistor directly.
I do remember that which white wire was connected to the diode. Made a big difference in how much voltage was developed.

fegarex

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »

Thanks! I will try to flip flop the white wires and I will also try the capacitor.

Sorry I almost added my data to your response. I put it back where it belonged.   B:(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:31:47 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »

Remember electrolytic capacitors have a polarity. Make sure the + of the capacitor is connected to the + voltage side of the relay.
Connect the banded end of the diode to the relay.
One of the white wires to the other end of the diode.
Other white wire to the other terminal of the relay.
Connect the + side of the capacitor to the relay terminal with the banded end of the diode on it.
Connect the - end of the capacitor to the other relay connection with the white wire on it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:30:18 PM by Brian H »

fegarex

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »

Thank you!!!
I will give that a shot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.