Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: General Security Question?  (Read 2199 times)

gaz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
General Security Question?
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »

Hello fellas,

Could anyone point me to a topic about the security of the x10 technology(powerlines)? For example if my neighbor has x10 is it possible he/she controls my devices as we are on the same power grid?

Thanks.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
Re: General Security Question?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »

Hi Gaz!

Welcome to the forums and the wild and crazy world of X10!  The short answer to your question is:  You bet they can!  The real answer is more complicated.  You can start your learning process in the section of the forum called General Home Automation=>Automating Your House.  You probably want to start in the post titled Understanding X10. 

Using X10 is a journey, not a destination!  Hope you enjoy the trip!

Regards,

ITguy

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »

Technically yes, but it would be quite rare for it to happen.
The X10 power line signal would have to go all the way to the power pole and back to the neighbors setup.
Most users can't even get an X10 signal from one phase to the other in the same home with out a coupler or repeater.

They would also have to be on the same power tansformer on the street as you where.

RF Remotes could but again distances are a big factor.

You have 16 House Codes to pick so they would have to have lots of patience and luck to do it.

gaz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:42:50 AM »

Thank you guys i will check it out.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »

Add to the above... We're still a rare group compared to the general population. e.g. I've never had a neighbor that used X10. In fact other than the folks I know from the forum I only know 1 person that uses X10.

...if my neighbor has x10 is it possible he/she controls my devices as we are on the same power grid?...
As others have mentioned. It's unlikely in a home situation. Perhaps a better chance in an apartment situation. Which reminds me of the Christmas lights I put outside my apartment many years ago. I was able to plug them into an outlet on the landlords meter and not mine but still control it with X10 from my apartment.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.