Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problem with X10 mini controller  (Read 8227 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Problem with X10 mini controller
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »

Dave,

The bulbs and switches were not knew. Had them for the past two years.
Maybe a bulb was about to go. Who knows.

Yes I think either Jeff or Brian in an old thread described an old switching power supply that suddenly became noisy. That would be one of the most difficult X10 problems to analyze and troubleshoot since it "came out of the blue" in a perfectly operating system.  A perfect example of a X10 signal level meter being a (almost) necessary addition to any medium to large X10 automation system.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Problem with X10 mini controller
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »

Not X10 switches. If I had to put a filter on them I don't know where it would. There certainly isn't room in the electrical box and the electronic switches are so big they almost didn't fit. The switches are also timers. Quite large.

The Leviton 6287 is pretty small:  1.6" x 1.9" x .8" thick.  I had no trouble squeezing them in behind the Leviton X10 switches here (which also are pretty large).  Unfortunately, many electrical contractors put in the smallest electrical box allowed under the code.  If your switch box is too small, you might be able to fit the filter into the junction box for the first light in the string.  It wires in series with the switched hot lead, with a connection also to neutral.

The switching circuitry in CFLs can vary with line voltage and temperature.  A recent combination of those variables may have moved the frequency right on top of the X10 carrier frequency.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.