Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Neutral Wire and XPS3  (Read 4051 times)

pcaboo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Neutral Wire and XPS3
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:48:01 PM »

I need to put a XPS3 switch in to control CFL's. The box I want to put it in doesn't have a neutral wire, but a box on the other side of the wall for a different switch has one. Can I tap into a neutral wire in the box that has one and bring it into the box that doesn't? Is the neutral wire specific for the box it's in?

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Neutral Wire and XPS3
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:58:21 AM »

Do you know if both switches are on the same circuit and phase?
Technically all neutrals tie to a common connection in the electrical box but the current through them may give a noise or electrical differential if on different breakers or phase.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »

Is the neutral wire specific for the box it's in?

No. Neutrals are specific to the branch (breaker) they are on but still tied back to the common neutral buss. Although I had home in Florida that had neutrals from several branches all tied togeather. I found out when I uncapped the wad of neutrals and got shocked even though I had tripped the break for the branch I was working on.

Brian has a good point about noise. I have seen noise on neutrals, but could usually make go-away by tightening wire nuts and tie down screws in the electrical panel.

Have you considered skipping the neutral re-wire and using Socket Rockets? They work fine with CFLs.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

misterbeefy

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:15:45 PM »

Have you considered skipping the neutral re-wire and using Socket Rockets? They work fine with CFLs.
They do??? I did not know that! What about if you have those CFL's in a light that is attached to a ceiling fan?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »

Socket Rockets are too bulky to use in a overhead fan/light.  Your ONLY option for independent operation is two X10 control modules, a double gang box to house them and a big rewiring job.  B:(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:36:09 PM »

They do??? I did not know that! What about if you have those CFL's in a light that is attached to a ceiling fan?
Fan?? "didn't know 'bout no steenkin fan".

That is a different matter. IF the fan lights receive power from the same line that powers the fan (you can only turn on the light by pulling the chain) then the Socket Rockets would not be able to turn ON unless the fan had power. And as Dan said the Socket Rockets add 2 inches to the bulb, so would probably look pretty ugly. Guess you are back to adding a neutral line.   :-\
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

misterbeefy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:22 AM »

Yep. Glad I bought those WS13s :) Not sure if I have a neutral wire there or not, haven't pulled the switch covers off yet, but hopefully this weekend.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.