Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Erratic operation of all modules on one circuit breaker  (Read 11211 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Erratic operation of all modules on one circuit breaker
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 11:21:09 AM »

How about only the surge strip alone?
If the surge strip has a filter in it. It could be absorbing X10 power line signals. As to many of them the X10 120KHz signal is noise.
I have a filter on my APC BX1000 UPS and my power strip for the LCD TV and all of the assorted goodies connected to it.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »

Would you be able to provide models for your XTB and perhaps the CM15 or CM11? 

The XTB class C output stage is coupled to the powerline through a series-resonant circuit (.22uF & 8.2uH).  The XTB-IIR has two coupling networks from the power stage, which also forms a passive coupling network between the phases.

Sorry, but I don't have any info on the X10 devices.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »

It seems that anything plugged in to the power strip causes the problem to appear.  It seems the power strip is the problem.  I guess I need a filter or a new power strip or maybe an XTB.

Power strips with surge protection can indeed be signal suckers, and cause problems for X10 communications.  However, it may also be that you have marginal signal levels, and ANY additional load drops the signal level too low for reliable operation.

A first step would be to isolate that power strip from the powerline with an inexpensive X10 XPPF filter.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »

Many thanks to all of you for your advice.   I had recently bought a new TV and temporarly installed it in another room that was on the same circuit that my old TV is still attached to.  In the process I moved my cable box and my DVD to the new TV in order to check it all out.   When I unplugged the power strip that I had it all connected to my problem disapeared.  Aha, it must be the new TV or the cable box.  Wrong, So I finally unplgged the DVD player and my problem disappeared.   Thinking it must be the DVD causing the problem I plugged the TV and cable box back in but the problem returned.    It seems that anything plugged in to the power strip casues the problem to appear.  It seems the powr strip is the problem.  I guess I need a filter or a new power strip or maybe an XTB.
"Thereyago" (Common Midwest and Southern US term, used a universal explaination for all)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 06:10:45 PM »

...I had recently bought a new TV and temporarly installed it in another room that was on the same circuit
......... It seems the powr strip is the problem.  I guess I need a filter or a new power strip or maybe an XTB.

A powerstrip... with maybe a flickering little red light?

I'd carry the powerstrip into the garage, cut off it's cord, and throw it in the trash (cutting off the cord assures me the wife won't find a perfectly good device... and rescue it). Then I'd look around... to see if I had another one just like it in use somewhere. Some of the power cords are nightmares.

It's temping and I am sure natural... after a setup has worked flawlessly for so long... to take X10 for granted. Parts of my home aren't used everyday. Some of my cameras can go weeks without being viewed. A problem can arise... yet not be noticed right away. I try to keep an eye opened to changes. I recently replaced some outside light fixtures... and used some LED bulbs in a couple lights. Afterwards I ran some tests, Voice Commanding on some lights and devices while the new lights were on.

Glad things are back to normal for you!!!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »

I'd carry the powerstrip into the garage, cut off it's cord, and throw it in the trash

:'(    aarrrg!

Dave you just fell off the pedestal I had placed you on.

Knowing your skills, I would have at least expected you to "Dremel" that strip apart and cut out all those caps.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.