Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Palm Pad with Code Wheel  (Read 20189 times)

TCruz

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Palm Pad with Code Wheel
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:00:11 PM »

I would a palm pad with a knob I could turn to select the house code. Those little code clickers don't stay in and the house code switch is so hard to turn they are to unusable. How about a nice wheel to change it like the new table type remotes has. And since I mentioned the plung in table side type of remotes. I would like for them to have all 16 unit codes. Not just 8.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Palm Pad with Code Wheel
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:12:31 AM »

Here are some snap in ones for X10 modules.
http://www.smarthome.com/4824R/X10-Code-Clickers-10-pack-Red/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/4824B/X10-Code-Clickers-10-pack-Black/p.aspx

X10 did have nice knobs on the modules; they made OEM; for Black and Decker. So it could be done.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:20:16 AM by Brian H »

TCruz

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:12:50 AM »

Got them already. The code dial is so stiff to turn that it makes these things unusable. They are small and only stick above the clear plastic shield about an 1/8". Not enough to get a grip on. I would like to see the code selector like what this controller has http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Mini_Controller .

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:33:10 AM »

I would a palm pad with a knob I could turn to select the house code.

I read most (if not all) the posts here at the forum... and noticed that you also use AHP (with the CM15A). Maybe... you could cram some extra use on a PalmPad using steven r's Redirect Commands.

Using a Redirect Command Macro allows a PalmPad set on one house code to control devices on other house (and even different number) codes.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TCruz

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:25:52 AM »

Thanks for the reply Dave. I am actully doing something like that with the clock controller that is plugged in beside the bed. You know those things on have 4 units unless you flip a switch then you only gain 4 more. I don't know why they don't just make them with all 16 unit codes available. I would just like a easy to turn house code wheel on the 16 unit controllable palm pad. More for lazy reasons!! When I am sitting on the couch, I have a palm pad in close proximity. I currently have all 16 units in use on code A, 6 on code B (shop building), cameras on C, and for the season (Christmas lights) about 8 units on code D. It would just be nice to turn a dial and use the same remote without the need for a screw driver or a pair of pliers to turn the code clickers; since those things are useless.

PS. I am being a little hard on the clickers; I do have 1 palm pad that isn't as hard to turn as the rest. But I am the member of the family that can grip it to turn it. Maybe bigger code clickers would be option.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »

Yes it would be nice to have a Palm pad with a easy to use House Code Dial. Of course you would need a transceiver that can do all the house codes or the CM15A that can do all of them.

I have one of the Smarthome 4071 ControLinc Maxi Tabletop Controllers. It can do all sixteen House Codes and Sixteen Unit Codes.
Also has few buttons that send out House Code only commands that program their modules.

http://www.smarthome.com/4071/Smarthome-ControLinc-Maxi-X10-Tabletop-Controller-4071/p.aspx

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »

I would a palm pad with a knob I could turn to select the house code. Those little code clickers don't stay in and the house code switch is so hard to turn they are to unusable.
Yup I have same problem with the code Clickers.

My solution is to hot glue metal washers in the code wheel slot and that works pretty good for a couple of years then I have to re-glue. I found black washers at Home Depot.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

TCruz

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »

Thanks Brian, that will work. Ordered one a few minutes ago! Still would like to see a code wheel on the palm pad.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »

You could just go my favorite route and get an Icon remote.  All house and unit codes in one.   -:)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

You could just go my favorite route and get an Icon remote.  All house and unit codes in one.   -:)

>!

Bill - is that the 4071, or something else?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »

Dave W;  I believe it maybe the X10 Icon RF remote.
That X10 has dropped the price by $20.00
http://www.x10.com/promotions/ir32a_remote_lowest_price_ever.html

The 4071 is a Smarthome Table Top Controller that can do all 256 combinations of House and Unit Codes. Along with a few buttons that can have more than one device it controls.

Can get confusing as Smarthome's lower priced Insteon enabled devices are also their Icon Line.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:39:23 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 02:24:43 PM »

Can get confusing as Smarthome's lower priced Insteon enabled devices are also their Icon Line.  ::)
RATS! That is exactly what happened. When I saw "Icon" I was thinking Smarthome had come out with a RF version of the 4071, which I love. Sooo I was getting pretty giddy thinking about adding it to my three page santa clause list (I have been a good boy this year).

You are right, Bill is talking about the IR27 or IR32 or what ever number X10 has assigned for the day. I am now severely bummed.  :'(

TCruz

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »

Bill; can you choose a house code and unit at random? Or do you have to program in the devices ou want to control?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 01:54:38 AM »

Bill; can you choose a house code and unit at random? Or do you have to program in the devices ou want to control?

The Icon remote works similar to AHP.  You define modules and assign them to rooms.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 07:37:11 AM »

The Icon remote works similar to AHP.  You define modules and assign them to rooms.

That is a good way to describe it! You can select/assign Icons (pictures) as well as labels to describe your X10 controlled devices (it even works well with Ninjas). And can be also function as a coded alarm (DS7000) remote as well. See attached picture.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.