Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ds10a wiring  (Read 8786 times)

hpservertech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ds10a wiring
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »

is there a distance limitation for wiring the ds10a contacts back to the control module?

Reason for asking, I was thinking about wiring all the contacts back to a central location where my AHP computer as well as my PH951 is going to be located at.  The modules would then not be visible and would also remind me to replace all the batteries when I replaec one since the would all be in front of me.

And now that I think of it, if I did home runs to a central location I could even have a single power distribution center that would have a transformer on it instead of batteries.  Which would be even better cause I could hook it into the big UPS that is located there as well. 

Thoughts?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: ds10a wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »

is there a distance limitation for wiring the ds10a contacts back to the control module?

Until Congress repeals that pesky Ohms Law... I would have to say yes. But the question is really how far can the wiring be extended. I have two DS10A units I've extended over 30 feet. I seem to remember... someone.. posting running wire from the sensor over sixty feet to the magnetic reed switch.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:10:11 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hpservertech

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 04:11:42 PM »

lol  too funny dave.

Would be 30 - 40 ft at the most.  Just wanted to see if they were any different then any other magnetic switch I had used in the past.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »

Just wanted to see if they were any different then any other magnetic switch I had used in the past.

Yeah the operation of the DS10A's are pretty solid. I consolidated my DS10A's is a central area myself... and I am sure I wasn't the first person to think of that. I wish I knew the range they can be extended. Let us know how your setup goes.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

hpservertech

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:32:26 PM »

I will.  I'm picking up a good sized security system tomorrow from someone who had it on the local CL.  pretty cheap and he's including some non-security items too. 

Now i just need to find the actual power requirements so I can find a single power source to use instead of 10 9v batteries.

MANOWAR©

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Your new messiah's me.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »

If it works just like a normal N/C contact switch you can go a long way. When I installed burglar alarm systems it wasn't uncommon to run a door contact wire in a business 500ft or more. It's just looking for an open in the circuit. If there is a built in resistor for supervision then the ohms of the wire becomes an issue over distance but I think this stuff is just N/C looking for an open.
Lesbians killed the mullet for everyone.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »

No EOL resistors in an X10 DS10 scheme.
Though 500 feet maybe a stretch. X10s designs usually try and do the most with the least amount of parts. The DS10s switch input may not be well protected and prone to noise over such a distance.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »

No EOL resistors in an X10 DS10 scheme.
Though 500 feet maybe a stretch. X10s designs usually try and do the most with the least amount of parts. The DS10s switch input may not be well protected and prone to noise over such a distance.

I agree.  Both the power output and probable lack of noise suppression would be potential issues with the DS10's.

Using a thicker wire, say 18 or 16 guage would help with the power issue (assuming there is one).

Noise can be cancelled out pretty well by using twisted pair too.

Just my $.02.  ;)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

hpservertech

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 11:37:05 PM »

Funny you mention that.  Wire was going to be my next question.  Again, short distances, less then 40'.  Any suggestions?

Any reason to not use ethernet cable?  Only ask cause I have at least 3 full boxes (3000' +) just sitting and waiting for some excuse to use it and cause I'm too cheap. rofl

I was thinking it would be better to use 22/2 security wire, but will have to get the wife to relax after she saw how much I just spent on this stuff so I can buy a spool.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »

Funny you mention that.  Wire was going to be my next question.  Again, short distances, less then 40'.  Any suggestions?

Any reason to not use ethernet cable?  Only ask cause I have at least 3 full boxes (3000' +) just sitting and waiting for some excuse to use it and cause I'm too cheap. rofl

I was thinking it would be better to use 22/2 security wire, but will have to get the wife to relax after she saw how much I just spent on this stuff so I can buy a spool.

At only 40 feet, I would expect that CAT5 would provide both low enough resistance and the benefit of noise cancellation.

Worth a try, at least.

Oh, and if you're running wire... the more conductors the better, well, within reason and budget.  Never hurts to have spare conductors if one breaks, or you decide to replace a simple switch with a powered detector.  ;)

Experience talking from another "alarm guy".  ;)

>!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:46:11 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 06:34:19 AM »

I would say Network cable would be fine. Use one twisted pair or maybe two pairs in parallel.
I see alarms and other applications using Network Cable all the time.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.