Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

If you could add a 12" touchscreen that could be mounted on a wall for under $400 is it worth it to you?

Yes
- 3 (37.5%)
No
- 4 (50%)
Would want bigger screen
- 0 (0%)
Would want smaller screen
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Touchscreen poll  (Read 2882 times)

hpservertech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Touchscreen poll
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »

I know there is the app for the iphone/itouch.  Only problem with this is that they really drain the battery when using wifi.

I have a solution and  can just provide the info, or can sell a setup to anyone.

Thoughts?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Touchscreen poll
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:42:15 PM »

I know there is the app for the iphone/itouch.  Only problem with this is that they really drain the battery when using wifi....
While a touchscreen would be nice, for me it would be more a "show and tell" item than a "function for the buck value". Wiring a 5v line to a fixed iTouch location would be a simple job if one wanted to use it wall mounted and battery drain was an issue.
I like the idea of iTouch's portability. I can show it off almost anywhere as well as check email and many other features.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »

While a touchscreen would be nice, for me it would be more a "show and tell" item than a "function for the buck value".

I am in total agreement with my friend steven r. But... boy it would be cool! And to be honest... I am not sure rather I'd prefere a 12-15" wallmount or tabletop or a 5 volt powered [much smaller] itouch.

Switching service providers and getting the iphone sounded like a good idea to me (the wife wasn't as impressed). I am surprised other phone makers aren't catching up to the iphone.... yet. Since I don't think the iphone is all that advanced that it can't be imitated. And I think iphone is way too popular to be nothing more than a fade... we should see cell phones doing more and more.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »

...iphone sounded like a good idea to me (the wife wasn't as impressed). I am surprised other phone makers aren't catching up to the iphone....

Two points worth mentioning:

• The application does not require an iPhone. The application works fine on an iTouch with wifi.
    • The iPhone may not be exclusive to ATT when their contract with Apple expires in about a year. While the iPhone has about a 95% approval rating among users, the ATT service ranks only a bit more than 50%. Apple may open it up or switch to another provider as it's primary partner. (If they pick Verizon, it could motivate an upgrade for me.)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »

......The application does not require an iPhone. The application works fine on an iTouch with wifi.

Yeah I know. But I have very little use for the MP3 player function of an itouch... which makes it a $200 remote (but an AWSOME remote). Where as I have a need for a cell phone... and always have mine in arms reach anyway.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.