Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Email activity monitor  (Read 21630 times)

paradox

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Email activity monitor
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »

I wish there were a way to set up a macro to email the activity monitor for the last day.  Maybe set up a macro to do this every morning.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Email activity monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »

I wish there were a way to set up a macro to email the activity monitor for the last day.  Maybe set up a macro to do this every morning.
I've been asking for some sort of export for the activity log for a while.
It would be simpler to have a command-line utility to export the file, and you can have a scheduled task and a script to mail it out.

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »

You can set up a cron-tab job to do anything you want on schedule, just need to set up Apache and cron. Takes 5 minutes.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »

You can set up a cron-tab job to do anything you want on schedule, just need to set up Apache and cron. Takes 5 minutes.
But first you need to get the Activity Log out, and there is currently no way to automate that.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

There are several thirdparty software creations that will log X10 activity to a text file!
Some will even upload that info to a web site or email it!
Using one of these programs that utilize the SDK are far more accurate with the info!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »

There are several thirdparty software creations that will log X10 activity to a text file!
Some will even upload that info to a web site or email it!
Using one of these programs that utilize the SDK are far more accurate with the info!
 >!
Oh, I know that!
But there is nothing that can do it natively within AHP. (There SHOULD be, but isn't).
I don't see why they can't add a command-line option (or a separate utility) to dump the log to a file in human-readable format. I had a number of conversations with the developers about this, but it never went anywhere.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »

Some of the most simplest tasks AHP fails to deliver! ::) :'
Writing info to a text file is just one.
Sending that should be a email option. ::)

I wouldn't hold my breath for this to appear in any build any time soon!

Anyone that wants a daily activity log won't be happy with the one in AHP anyways.
But if they are then it maybe possible to create a script that opens the activity monitor and copies the info and
then have AHP email it out.
Autohotkey should be able to do all this! Of coarse you would receive a xps file!
And it could all be triggered from a single AHP macro.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »

But first you need to get the Activity Log out, and there is currently no way to automate that.
Does X10 have an API? Set up a simple script to fire all events to a log.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »

Does X10 have an API? Set up a simple script to fire all events to a log.
There is an SDK for communication with the CM15A (for sending or receiving commands), but there is no API for the AHP software itself.

Yes, it is possible to write a standalone command logger, but it would be nice if they added some functionality to the one they already have,

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »

Well, yes you can, and it is not THAT hard to do.  I do this on my home system for monitoring when the house sitter comes, kids come and go, etc.  Here is an older write up I did a while back

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22315.0

So far it works pretty well - and I am in the process of converting the scripts to consolidated ones since you can now pass command line arguments to AHP script.

Then have a macro that runs every day at runs at 2 am or whatever that will send you an email with the log file.  You could even change the formatting of the logging script that outputs the log in HTML format and you are golden!

There is a command line mailer called postmail.exe that will take command line options to build custom email messages - if and when I get it working, I will share :)

Bob

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »

Well, yes you can, and it is not THAT hard to do.  I do this on my home system for monitoring when the house sitter comes, kids come and go, etc.  Here is an older write up I did a while back

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22315.0

So far it works pretty well - and I am in the process of converting the scripts to consolidated ones since you can now pass command line arguments to AHP script.

Then have a macro that runs every day at runs at 2 am or whatever that will send you an email with the log file.  You could even change the formatting of the logging script that outputs the log in HTML format and you are golden!

There is a command line mailer called postmail.exe that will take command line options to build custom email messages - if and when I get it working, I will share :)

Bob

The way I understood your post, your script works because you are logging the information as part of your macro.
However, it doesn't provide a way to capture activity that doesn't come from those custom-built macros (like PLC or RF commands from other remotes or switches).

megtyler

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:01 AM »

how do i see the activities done a laptop? not just web browsing history but everything done on the pc on the previous day?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »

how do i see the activities done a laptop? not just web browsing history but everything done on the pc on the previous day?
For that you'll most likely need a keylogger.
Do a search of the net, it will turn up several, some with free trials.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.