Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My new sentinel doesn't lock up, but......  (Read 13634 times)

mikebhoff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
My new sentinel doesn't lock up, but......
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:08:12 AM »

It seems like the remote has poor range and intermittant.   Right out of the box, on the desk. If the wireless switch is on, I have to have the remote control within 3 feet to operate any ptz or iris.  With the wireless switch off, the remote works farther away up to 20 feet but very spotty at best. It may move a few degress then stop. No other buttons work. After a few minutes it may work a little then stop and go. Mostly stop, no iris, nothin. If I move around the house, it may or may not work a little. Tried new batteries, tried my cr14a remote, no help. Please help. I'd like to use the wirelss feature.      p.s. worked much better this evening, but not with wireless switch on.  Let me clarify..... the wirelss video works great, just not the remote ptz control.  thanks

mikebhoff

Re: My new sentinel doesn't lock up, but......
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »

Well,,  I keep reading about antenna extensions and RF repeaters but I got a problem with patching the symptoms on a 600 dollar camera. Why even include a RF remote if it won't make it through a wall? I'd rather have run a control cable.

mikebhoff

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »

Tonight I noticed that all 3 of my bases (2 vanguards 1 sentinel) move around when I try to run the sentinel on C3. All 3 are intermittant and it doesn't matter what channel my remote is switched to. Does that ring anybodys' bell?

??? I have the strongest feeling that I'm talking to myself here.

mikebhoff

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »

Sorry, mikebhoff, I meant vk75 pan and tilt bases (with off brand cameras).

mikebhoff

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:15:44 PM »

No prob. mikebhoff, I pretty much figured what you meant.   I'm still experamenting around since I probably can't return the camera.
Oh? Why not?  Well because I got so excited that I drilled up the base to mount it and whacked the power cord to extend it.
Dummy!   I know B:(

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »

The main problem with talking to yourself is that half the time you know what you're going to say next :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »

Your initial problem description could be describing interference. What other kinds of wireless stuff do you have? Otherwise  between your thread and this recent one quoting three tries before getting a camera that worked  (http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=18662.0 ) X10 may be having some build problems in China. And these cameras are X10's most expensive product. You might call customer service and see if they acknowledge any problems.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:14:41 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »

Maybe we should take the time to point out... that this forum isn't an X10 product. Whereas X10 does own and maintain the forum servers... this is a community forum staffed and operated by volunteer X10 users. We are customers... just like yourself. I would say we know the frustration of getting an automation or surveillance system to work. And we try to help out others.

Posting a flurry of negative posts here... won't get X10's attention (they rarely read any posts here). And where a rant is completely human... it doesn't give us much information about the problem.. or much of a chance to be helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mikebhoff

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »

Sorry if I was ranting. I was just trying to stir up some help.

x10 support said they got some bad rf recievers in their sentinels.  But----she said I couldn't return mine because I had cut and extended the power cord, unless I purchase a 76 dollar extended warranty. Then they'll exchange.  Pissed me off.   I called sales and ordered a whole new sentinel. When it comes I'll simply swap cameras and ship it back for a refund.  All I have to worry about is keeping the credit card statement hidden from the wife intill I get refunded.  Then I'll just have to justify only one 500 dollar toy.
(oh wow!!!  your right, I guess I do rant don't I)

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »

.. I was just trying to stir up some help.

All anyone ever has to do is ask.

.. I'll simply swap cameras and ship it back for a refund.  All I have to worry about is keeping the credit card statement hidden from the wife intill I get refunded. 

Throughout the forum you will see references to WAF (Wife Approval [or acceptence] Factor). We do understand. I however am always completely honest about my purchases.. except around Christmas time. I've told my wife several times over the years... don't expect me to be open and honest about my spending during the holidays.

Of course the trick is to not actually install the X10 items I purchase.... until after the holidays.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »

...I however am always completely honest about my purchases.. except around Christmas time. I've told my wife several times over the years... don't expect me to be open and honest about my spending during the holidays.

Of course the trick is to not actually install the X10 items I purchase.... until after the holidays.
...and perhaps to have a few things for her that you can not be "open and honest" about what you spent for them.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 12:34:44 AM »

...and perhaps to have a few things for her that you can not be "open and honest" about what you spent for them.  ;)

Yeah that's the point in not being honest.... how can I surprise her if I am open and honest. And.. while I am going to the effort of lying... I might as well buy some stuff for me too.

mikebhoff

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »

Got my 2nd camera today, same problem. 3rd try coming up.

mikebhoff

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 01:57:21 AM »

emailed x10 suppor team and got this reply:

Greetings!

There should be a small white circular sticker with a code like 01A23 on each Sentinel. What are the date codes on each of your Sentinels? If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!

Eric Boyd | ericb@x10.com | X10 Email Support | http://kbase.x10.com/

The date code 09G30 was on both of my sentinels.  Haven't heard back from X10 yet.  Still sitting on 2 cappy cameras.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 05:57:02 PM »

Interesting. I eluded to this in the Sept 30 posting. If it turns out a new date code solves your problem, please tell us! Suddenly there has been a rash of requests for help where the symptoms simply do not fall in the common buckets. It is weird. I think it might be "acute" assembly problems in China, and hoping they do not become chronic.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.