Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OFF command works from screen or remote, but not from macro-help please  (Read 5275 times)

rwchalk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have an XPS3 switch controlling lights at a significant distance from the house.  I have one of Jeff Volp's XBR-II boosters in the system (at the house), and I also have an RR501 Transceiver at the remote location (near the light). 

Both the switch and the transceiver are set to C1.

The switch operates fine with the RF remote, or with a direct activation from the ActiveHome Pro screen icon for the switch, but when I construct a macro to operate the light, it will turn on correctly every time, but will not turn off.  The relay in the transceiver operates correctly every time, and as I stated, they are both on the same code.

I have tried different codes (C2, C3), as well as adding delays of a few seconds, sending the 'off"command twice, even with a short delay, but nothing seems to work.  Is there some difference between the XPS3 and the RR501 that can cause this problem?  I am at a loss for any other explanation.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Richard

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: OFF command works from screen or remote, but not from macro-help please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »

If clicking the icon in AHP will always turn it on and off as expected, you can most likely eliminate signal issues as the culprit.

I would guess something is wrong with the code sent by the macro.

If you click the off macro, does the light switch off?

What is the trigger for the macro?

Does the macro include a timer?

What version of AHP are you running?

More information will get you better answers.  (Well, usually ;)  )

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

rwchalk

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »

There is only one macro, which is intended to turn the lights on, wait 5 minutes, and then turn them off.  I also plan to add a time range so it will only operate dusk-to-dawn, but that is not active yet.  Also, I have not tried a separate off macro, but that would be interesting to test.  I will try it later today.  The strange part of this is that the C2 switch works perfectly, but the C1 doesn't, and they are identical switches on the same circuit, same wire run, just about 75 feet of wire between them.

The macro is triggered by an input code (C8 On) and consists of the following:

Dock Lights C1 On
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 On
Delay 5 minutes
Dock Lights C1 Off
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 Off

The 2-second delays were added to force the system to send separate commands for C1 and C2, instead of the combined command.

The trigger at the moment is just a remote (PHR02). I plan to add a motion sensor to sense the approach of a boat.

The software is 3.228
Thanks
If clicking the icon in AHP will always turn it on and off as expected, you can most likely eliminate signal issues as the culprit.

I would guess something is wrong with the code sent by the macro.

If you click the off macro, does the light switch off?

What is the trigger for the macro?

Does the macro include a timer?

What version of AHP are you running?

More information will get you better answers.  (Well, usually ;)  )

>!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »

... The trigger at the moment is just a remote (PHR02). I plan to add a motion sensor to sense the approach of a boat.

The good news is: The motion sensor will also provide an off signal.... maybe making the macro obsolete.

I don't see anything wrong with your macro myself (maybe someone else will). Are you sure your remembering to save your macro and upload it to the interface?

I tend to make my macros as simple as I can. Two macros each doing a simple task.. always seems to work better for me.. than one macro doing two tasks. Maybe if you remove the delay and off function from your macro... and then created an lights off macro. Like:

Lights ON [macro]
trigger
Dock Lights C1 On
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 On

Lights OFF [macro]
trigger (same trigger as ON)
Delay 5 minutes
Dock Lights C1 Off
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 Off
Home Automation is an always changing technology

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 11:44:34 PM »

You don't by any chance have the switches wired in series. Switch c1 turns on the power to the light and also to switch c2.  If this is the case, then see parenthesis()

Dock Lights C1 On (also supplies power to C2)
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 On (all is well because C1 is powering C2)
Delay 5 minutes
Dock Lights C1 Off (also turns off power to C2)
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 Off (will not work because C1 turned the power to C2 off and C2 can't receive the x10 signal)

IF this is not what you have then it might be the type of light.  There are problems using halogen bulbs.  Can't remember the exact issue but has something to do with the wiring to the bulb.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:04:39 AM »

There is only one macro, which is intended to turn the lights on, wait 5 minutes, and then turn them off.  I also plan to add a time range so it will only operate dusk-to-dawn, but that is not active yet.  Also, I have not tried a separate off macro, but that would be interesting to test.  I will try it later today.  The strange part of this is that the C2 switch works perfectly, but the C1 doesn't, and they are identical switches on the same circuit, same wire run, just about 75 feet of wire between them.

The macro is triggered by an input code (C8 On) and consists of the following:

Dock Lights C1 On
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 On
Delay 5 minutes
Dock Lights C1 Off
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 Off

The 2-second delays were added to force the system to send separate commands for C1 and C2, instead of the combined command.

The trigger at the moment is just a remote (PHR02). I plan to add a motion sensor to sense the approach of a boat.

The software is 3.228
Thanks

You might try changing the module type in AHP to a LM14A.  That might change the way AHP attempts to send the "off" signal.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »

... You might try changing the module type in AHP to a LM14A.  That might change the way AHP attempts to send the "off" signal.

Thats true too! I often use the appliance module instead of light switches to remove any chance of the error (with dim and bright commands) in the setup. If the OP isn't planning on dimming the lights with THIS macro... it can't hurt.

rwchalk

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »

No, they are not in series.  If they were, the dock lights would go out when the shore light does.

I have tried separate macros, simple macros, etc. all with the same result. I even tried setting the two switches to the same code, and the same result.  The one on shore goes out, and the one on the dock stays on, but only when the command originated from a Macro.

The only conclusion I can come to is that, for some reason the signal is stronger when it originates from a remote, or a direct command from the switch icon, than when it originates from a Macro.

I have another CM15A.  I think I will try that.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If the problem turns out to be just too much wire between the controller and the switch, would substituting an Insteon switch at the shore light help?  I understand that those modules act as repeaters.

You don't by any chance have the switches wired in series. Switch c1 turns on the power to the light and also to switch c2.  If this is the case, then see parenthesis()

Dock Lights C1 On (also supplies power to C2)
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 On (all is well because C1 is powering C2)
Delay 5 minutes
Dock Lights C1 Off (also turns off power to C2)
Delay 2 seconds
Shore Light C2 Off (will not work because C1 turned the power to C2 off and C2 can't receive the x10 signal)

IF this is not what you have then it might be the type of light.  There are problems using halogen bulbs.  Can't remember the exact issue but has something to do with the wiring to the bulb.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:22:45 AM »

Though most Insteon devices can also have an X10 Primary Address and some a Scene Address. They only resend Insteon signals. The do not resend X10 signals.

Also as a two way module, that also has a transmitter in it, along with the receiver. It will actually weaken an X10 signal, as it will absorb some of the power line signals and is not resent like an Insteon one is. X10's two way modules and controllers also can absorb some power line signal as the transmitter section, if not the sender, absorbs some signal.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »

.... If the problem turns out to be just too much wire between the controller and the switch..

If the signal from the CM15A isn't strong enough to make it to the switch... a phase coupler repeater might be a good solution. Something else you might be able to try with on-hand supplies is a TM751. Place the (TM751) transceiver on the same circuit as the problem light.. and set your macro to send an RF signal (instead of the standard PLC).

Or maybe... if you map your circuits.. you could actually place the CM15A on the circuit with the problem switch.

Another thought.. the switch itself could be a noise source. You may want to look the installation over (ONLY.. if you normally do such things) and make sure the wire nuts are tight.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:15:29 AM by Dave_x10_L »

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »

I have tried separate macros, simple macros, etc. all with the same result. I even tried setting the two switches to the same code, and the same result.  The one on shore goes out, and the one on the dock stays on, but only when the command originated from a Macro.

The only conclusion I can come to is that, for some reason the signal is stronger when it originates from a remote, or a direct command from the switch icon, than when it originates from a Macro.

Hi rwchalk,

In your first post, you stated that you had one of Jeff Volp's XTB's.  Assuming that the XTB-IIR can hear your CM15a transmission, the strength of the CM15a transmission shouldn't matter.  The XTB will amplify the signal to 30V or more.

If you do not have the CM15a plugged directly into the XTB-IIR, give that a try.  This will allow the XTB to synchronously boost the X10 signal on both phases.  Verify that the XTB led is flashing during transmission.

If the above doesn't work, please post the contents of your activity monitor for both the macro execution and execution from the AHP Icon. 

Also, since you are working with outside lighting, are your switches on a GFCI circuit?

Boiler

rwchalk

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:07:16 PM »

OK, I think I've got it fixed now!!  The shore light is a 65-watt CFL, while the dock light is an incandescent rope light.  The CFL is almost 100 ft closer to the house, and works ok, but apparently it creates interference which is enough to cause the problem with the dock light receiving enough signal.

Well, I just reversed the sequence, so the CFL bulb goes off first, and now everything is working correctly.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  It turns out that the one about certain types of lights causing problems got me on the right track.

All the best,
Richard

Hi rwchalk,

In your first post, you stated that you had one of Jeff Volp's XTB's.  Assuming that the XTB-IIR can hear your CM15a transmission, the strength of the CM15a transmission shouldn't matter.  The XTB will amplify the signal to 30V or more.

If you do not have the CM15a plugged directly into the XTB-IIR, give that a try.  This will allow the XTB to synchronously boost the X10 signal on both phases.  Verify that the XTB led is flashing during transmission.

If the above doesn't work, please post the contents of your activity monitor for both the macro execution and execution from the AHP Icon. 

Also, since you are working with outside lighting, are your switches on a GFCI circuit?

Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.