Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Splicing X10 low light camera shielded wire  (Read 5787 times)

Thom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Splicing X10 low light camera shielded wire
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:12:16 AM »

Hello all,
I had my low light camera working great and then accidentally pulled the male plug off. So I decided I would cut the female plug and splice the wires. I have spliced the wires, but am now receiving lines steadily on my television and the reception is terrible if at all. Is there a way to splice these shielded wires back together or do I have to go get new plug ends?
Thanks.

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
Re: Splicing X10 low light camera shielded wire
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »

Since you already cut the wire try a few different ways to splice it.  The one way that comes to mind is strip back the shield real long or as long as you can so you will be able to overlap the shields from both ends  Then cut the inner conductor shorter and splice with some solder and shrink wrap if you can.  Make darn sure you don't have any wire touch from the shield to the inner conductor.
M M ElectricMan

Thom

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

Thanks Mellowmark. Leaving the shield wire much longer worked. Now I have video again. The only problem is my audio is a loud continuous squeal through my television now. Any ideas?

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 08:30:49 AM »

Is the shield still doing its job. Like covering up the center conductor. If there isn't enough wire use some tin foil or some thing.  make sure it contacts the shield so it will drain.  Sounds almost like it might be acting as an antenna some how move it over to a new spot.
M M ElectricMan

Thom

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »

The tin foil trick worked great. Now I have both audio and video. I really appreciate the help Mellowmark.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.