Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to setup snapshot webcam that posts photo online every 30 seconds  (Read 5185 times)

mbradford101

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I'm wondering exactly what I need to buy to setup a webcam that would be attached to the outside of my house - that would take a photo every 30 seconds - and would automatically post it online like the ones on this page:

http://www.estesparklife.com/Estes-Park-CO-Webcams.htm

If you can tell me exactly the items I'd need in order to do this the CHEAPEST way possible, that'd be great. My computer would be about 40 feet from the camera. So if you can tell me what wiring I'd need (or what 50-100 ft. cable to buy), that would also help. I have no experience with this at all.

The camera can be stationery and just needs to take a fairly decent image outdoors. It's not for security, just a scenic view to post online like the other webcams shown on the link above.

Thanks!

-

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: How to setup snapshot webcam that posts photo online every 30 seconds
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »

.... My computer would be about 40 feet from the camera. So if you can tell me what wiring I'd need (or what 50-100 ft. cable to buy), that would also help. I have no experience with this at all.

The camera can be stationery and just needs to take a fairly decent image outdoors. It's not for security, just a scenic view to post on line like the other webcams shown on the link above.
Thanks!

Well if your planning on using something like a little WebCam normally used for chat... that won't work. The cheap WebCams are USB... which is limited to 16 feet from the PC. Also the weather would kill a non-weather resistant camera.

You'll need a Web Page and a Web host that allows you to constantly update. And some sort of FTP software that would do a 30 sec update. You'll also need to have your PC connected and running on line 24/7. If you don't have these skills... and know how to do this. You may need a class, or some books, or maybe just hire a professional. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mbradford101

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »

Hi Dave,

Since I'm a web designer, I can handle all the web stuff you mentioned. I just don't know anything about the camera and whatever else will be needed to set this up...

-

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »

Since I'm a web designer, I can handle all the web stuff you mentioned.

Well that makes it a lot simpler (and at least you know I won't feed you bull).

All you need is a new picture twice a minute. I would use a wired (meaning NOT wireless) color camera the one I linked to has a 60 foot cord. A Video Adapter (VA12A) the Hi-Resolution one. Most if not any of X10 camera softwares might meet your needs.

There are a lot of ways and cameras that can do this. However I think the wired X10 color cam is as tough a little work horse of a camera as you will find. However... there are also many video cards (that come with free software) that may be easier to configure for uploading.

There is a forum member that has done this. I did some searching... Here is his cam Site
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:02:44 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.