Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 home automation---PLEASE help  (Read 8820 times)

mischa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 home automation---PLEASE help
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:48:13 AM »

hi guys. I am doing a project based on X-10 home automation and its based on the microchip AN236 application note. But i am very very confused and need some help.

I realise that a X-10 data format consists of a start code,house code and unit code. When implementing X-10, I am assuming the house code refers to the particular house and the unit code refers to the particular device one wants to control for example a light. Is this right? Now how do you know what the house address for a partiular home is or what the unit address for a particular device is?????Please help me understand this. Its all very confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X-10 home automation---PLEASE help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:18:46 AM »

Almost all X10 modules have two dials on them.
One is the House Code Dial. A-P
The other one is the Unit Code Dial 1-16
The address is the the House Code+Unit Code Dial settings.
Some like the LM15A Socket Rocket and the Insteon [Smarthome Modules]  are set by putting the module into a programming mode and sending the wanted address on the power line from an X10 controller.

House Code does not mean only one per home. You can use all sixteen House and Unit Codes in one installation. That gives you 256 unique address to use if you need that many. Most do not. Also more than one module can have the same address. In that setup all modules on the same address will go on off dim or brighten from the same command.

Some users use different House Codes for groups if items. Like C maybe their choice for X10 cameras and M maybe Motion Sensors.

mischa

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:11:06 AM »

So lets say i want to control a light bulb in my house. I want to turn it on. What would my address be?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »

The light address would be any one of the 256 codes that you set its module to!  ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »

mischa I've attached an image of a Lamp Module. If you open the image [below] you will clearly see the wheels or dials on the module that are used to set the codes. The House Code is the letter (A-P)... and the Unit is the number (1-16)... hense you have a total of 256 codes.

Most modules and devices are shipped with the default code of A1. I think most users select other codes based on a system that makes sense to them and would be easy for them to remember. Often people use B for Bedrooms, L for the Livingroom, C for Cameras... and so on.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »

hi guys. I am doing a project based on X-10 home automation and its based on the microchip AN236 application note. But i am very very confused and need some help.

Please help me understand this. Its all very confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure why you are trying to re-invent the wheel, but since you are confused about the basics of X10 such as house code, not to be confused with "house address", you might be interested in this technical series by Phil Kingery

http://www.hometoys.com/article_display.php?displayid=17#X-10%20Technical%20Series%20by%20Phil%20Kingery

Start at the bottom with "part one" and work your way up.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »

I am doing a project based on X-10 home automation and its based on the microchip AN236 application note. Please help me understand this. Its all very confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why you are trying to re-invent the wheel

The "smart grid". The concept is people on their own are to dumb to conserve. Therefore government needs to control our thermostats, lighting, and other devices... for us. Power Line Commands could be sent downline from the electric providers to turn off appliances such as air conditioners. Reducing brown-outs and saving the planet.

These concepts are now being studied in colleges and universities (stimulus dollars at work). That might be what the OP meant by project.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:50:57 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »

Yes, I just heard our President wants to upgrade the power grid so our dish washer can be started at 3:00 AM (among other things).

...gonna really freak out the dog.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »

President Kennedy said: "A rising tide lifts all boats". Meaning I believe.. that great prosperity benefits all. Apparently that has been replaced with "Power outages effect all neighborhoods".

I wonder how my generator figures in there?

Its so very sad that after millenniums of struggle and countless generations of mankind spending half of their lives in darkness. Man finally learned to harness the energy of the atom. Yet those who desire power.. deny cheap limitless energy to the masses. Because prosperous men are difficult to control.

mischa

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 07:34:58 AM »

thanks a lot for all the help:)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.