Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem with Big Red Panic Button KR15A  (Read 9498 times)

lucianoq

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Problem with Big Red Panic Button KR15A
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »

I purchased the door chime system and have not been able to make the chime (SC546A) sound with the Big Red Button (KR15A). It does sound with the palm pad remote (HR12A). I have changed the settings from A-1 to A-3 and several other different combinations, and every time it works with the palm pad remote but never with the Red Buttons. I have two Red Buttons and neither work. I have double checked the programming and I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I have also plugged the transceiver and the chimes in different sockets but the problem persists. I also have a wall switch dimmer and a lamp module, and they are working fine. I read somewhere else that somebody was having problems with his Red Buttons (he had 3) and supposedly they were all defective. I hope this is not my case. Any suggestions?

bigjohn9944

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Problem with Big Red Panic Button KR15A
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »

I too have the same problem and I've tried different house and unit codes.

What I have found, and reported to X10, is that for some reason, the KR15A with 2006 date codes (small round sticker on back beginning with "06") will not work with TM751s with 2007 date codes. Additionally, they will not work with my Active Home CM15A, which is programmed for all house codes.

They work fine with 2006 dated TM751s (usually in a blue box)

X10 thus far has no solution but they continue to ship KR15A that won't work with the TM751s they are shipping.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »

It has been a while since I last played around with my Big Red button, doesn't one have to press and hold the button for some length of time, before it sends out an 'on' command?  I think to prevent accidental activation?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

bigjohn9944

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »

Hi Walt
The press and hold is when you are using the KR15A with an SH10A. From the KR15A manual :
"Press the large red button on the KR15A. The lamp connected to any X10 Module set to A1 will
turn on. Hold the red button for a few seconds and the SH10A siren will start “dinging.” Hold the
button for still longer and the SH10A’s siren will sound a loud alarm. The siren will stop a few
seconds after you release the button."

In any event, I've tried holding the button for a few seconds and watching the LED on the KR15A blink away without activating the device. Change the transceiver to an older, 06 date coded TM751 and it works like a charm consistently.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »

OH anyone know if the TM751 was also 'Updated' by X10. Like the new wall switches and lamp modules?  ::)

autopilot

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »

I just received my recently ordered Big Red Button Wireless Doorbell Kit which includes 3 items:

1 Big Red Panic Button (KR15A)
1 Remote Chime (Model SC546A)
1 Mini Transceiver (TM751)

I have the lastest AHP software and tested these 3 modules using both AHP PC-based commands as well as my PalmPad Remote (HR12A) and the TM751 and SC546A seem to work okay but the SC546A doesn't respond or sound off when the KR15A is pressed. I tried using HUCs A1 to A3 and even changed the HC to D per advise of X10's technical support but still no response. I just read this thread while searching for related trouble-shooting tips on this problem and a bit surprised and disappointed.. :o

So has anybody found yet a quick fix or solution on this particular problem?
Also, I can't find a KR15A icon among the AHP Module icons or is there? If not, what did you use as substitute icon in lieu thereof?

Pls. advise before I start pulling my hair off ??? ...or just return this stuff back to X10 before the return back period expires... >*<
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:09:58 PM by autopilot »
The basic, must-haves for home repair are duct tape if it moves and WD-40 if it doesn't...

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:05 PM »

I would try the HP564 personal alert icon looks like it might give you same results for the KR15A for programming

autopilot

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »

It looks like my KR15A is either defective or has other issues since I've already tried testing it by changing the HUCs from A-D and 1-5 as well as checking for any RF/PLC signal thru AHP's Activity Monitor and Finding Other Computers for X10 signals. There were no signals generated everytime I press the KR15A with fresh batteries.

x10 Challenged, I also tried your suggestion & dragged the HP564 icon in lieu of the supposed KR15A but a Security Module Configuration dialog box pops up. There's no status change on the "Waiting For Signal" display indicator nor does AHP recognize any signal from the KR15A when pressed. Thanks for the tip anyway...

So anyone has other ideas? Pls. feel free to jive in before I call it quits..What a bummer! X10 should have tested all its products or at least have better troubleshooting guides to all its products to spare the headache and time figuring out what went wrong..and how to fix it without resorting to RMA requests and spending for return shipping costs.  But still, better product quality control should have been put in place and strictly practiced to avoid hassles which in the first place could have been avoided before consumer distribution/deliveries are made .. :(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:50:36 AM by autopilot »
The basic, must-haves for home repair are duct tape if it moves and WD-40 if it doesn't...

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »

Looks like I have the same problem.  I just received three Big Red kits with the transceivers and chimes.  Everything works except the buttons.  Simulate button with different remote and I get the expected results.  No AHP/AM RF traffic seen with any of the red buttons.  Using HC "F" since it was otherwise an unused HC in my configuration.  Is quality control so bad that I got 3 out of 3 bad units?

bigjohn9944

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 07:17:28 PM »

No you didn't get 3 bad ones out of 3. The KR15A will simply not work thru the CM15A ActiveHome interface or with 2007 and newer TM751's (Orange box) They work fine with 2006 and older blue box 751's and with any RR501.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.