Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: just starting  (Read 7916 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
just starting
« on: November 05, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »

Hi,
I already have AHP with plugins, some cameras, motion sensors and various light fixture hardware, but nothing yet that will work with OnAlert, the home security software. What would be good hardware to get from x10 for home security if I'm just starting, and have a small house? The house is also old, and I'm not sure if the door/window sensors will line-up properly so as to be able to work.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: just starting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »

I already have AHP with plugins, some cameras, motion sensors and various light fixture hardware, but nothing yet that will work with OnAlert, the home security software. What would be good hardware to get from x10 for home security if I'm just starting, and have a small house? The house is also old, and I'm not sure if the door/window sensors will line-up properly so as to be able to work.

I am shocked that you haven't picked up a DS7000 yet. Of course it's the door/window sensors (DS10A) that are most often used with the OnAlert Software (I think). Always look for an X10 DEAL (they are often in the package deals). I can't be sure the DS10A's will work in your (or anyones) home... but they are used a lot.

If you search the forum you will see where the DS10A's have been used (adapted/modified) with both smoke detectors and water sensors (even an Automated Chair). I'd buy a DS7000 with plenty of extras (as well as the (SH624).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

stoney

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »

birdzeye,

You can always cut and use SHIMS from a variety of non-metallic materials...especially wood and/or plastic.
Remember...it's not a perfect world! ::)

The sensors (DS10's) are fairly forgiving with regard to proximity and perfect alignment. They can be up to 3/8" apart
and still work well. Don't get them too out of wack and they should work fine.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »

Also in addition to what everyone else has said. You don't have to use the contacts that come with the unit you can use for exaample ones that fit in the door jam and they will work fine as long as it hmm normally open, that is correct isen't it guys. It's late  ;D

Tom j.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »

.... You don't have to use the contacts that come with the unit you can use for exaample ones that fit in the door jam and they will work fine as long as it hmm normally open, that is correct isen't it guys.

Isn't it the other way around? The terminology is always confusing (to me)... however the magnetic reed switches are pretty standard. I think... X10's (and most other) alarms depend on the magnet in the door part of the reed switch to hold the switch in the Closed postion when the alarm is in the Normal armed and ready postion. Then when a armed door or window is moved it removes the magnet and the switch Opens... triggering the alarm.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »

Well I have also seen configurations called both ways and it is very confusing.  ::)
Electronicall speaking it is NO as it is open when not activated by a magnet.
Security System wise. It is NC when the system is not in an alarm condition.
Here is how X10 calls it when you add a second switch.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Adding_A_Switch_To_A_Door_Sensor
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:50:53 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »

You can also substitute any normally-closed sensor (NC) made for a wired security system.

OK, so X10 uses the NC term as well. A little searching shows the really cool snap-in insert reed switches for $5 each. Those and a really long fishing drill bit and some caulk... and you can wire up the alarm wires via a basement, crawl space, attic, or whatever. I wired my DS10A units to the basement (near the console). It can make for an easy setup as well as a nice professional look.

I really like it when a job looks good... or can't be seen at all.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »

Well I have also seen configurations called both ways and it is very confusing.  ::)

Makes me nuts also. The problem is the convention for security magnetic reed switches is exactly opposite the convention for relays....(sigh) very confusing.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.