Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: S.A.R.A.  (Read 72615 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: S.A.R.A.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »

BTW... I have a BlueWatch Video posted at YouTube now!

Well I had to do a little camera wiring and configuring... and I now switch security camera video off/on using a Universal Module. This allows me to use Tuicemen's new software product BlueWatch. The BlueTooth dongle had generated interference with my wireless cameras. That was a small problem... and was easily resolved.

As the way for my Home Automation Computer to tell if I am home.. or not. BlueWatch replaced the KeyHolder I have been using.. so now Occupancy Sensing is "hands free" at my house.

But then I realized that since I mow my lawn with the cell phone... in my pocket. I would be out-of-range of the dongle... and the HA PC would think I wasn't home. The extra outside security would then treat me as a tresspasser. I would be warned (by Kate 16.. the computer voice) then video taped and images emailed to me. So I've reinserted the KeyHolder into the Home Automation matrix. Sorta as if it's an additional person. This allows me to change occupancy settings by hanging a set of keys on the holder. That way the HA PC doesn't see the house as empty (if keys are hung on the holder). Yet.. the computer also doesn't see me... as being in the home.

Now... I need to add the mercury switch to the automated chair so it can tell when I've sat down... even before I raise the footrest. Then add a power sensor to the TV.......

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:24:35 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 01:51:12 AM »

But then I realized that since I mow my lawn with the cell phone... in my pocket. I would be out-of-range of the dongle... and the HA PC would think I wasn't home.

Dave,  I had read the other day about a long range bluetooth adapter http://the-gadgeteer.com/2007/09/03/aircable_host_xr_long_range_bluetooth_dongle/.  It claimed that it had a range of just over a half a mile, but as I read the review on this, the person doing the review said that with his computer being in the basement, he was only able to get 75 - 80 feet of range out of it.  I don't know how big your yard is, but 75 - 80 feet would cover most of my yard.  If you wanted more range, I am sure you could get the unit to an upper area of the house and get quite a bit further.  75 - 80 feet of range would be nice too for sensing the cars more towards the end of the driveway as I drove in, thus opening my garage door sooner and starting my "Dan is home" macro. 

Looking at AirCable's website, the Host XR2 device http://www.aircable.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32 sells for $129.00.  This looks like an upgraded model too from the one in the gadgeteer review and has a greater distance (30 km [18.6 miles] with the right antenna and placement).  Heck for that kind of range I would have to leave town before the system thought I was not home rofl.  Anyways, even though a bit pricey, I may try one out as I think it will solve all my range issues with my bluetooth setup.

It might be a little while before I get one, but when I do I'll post my results.  >!

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »

..........  It might be a little while before I get one, but when I do I'll post my results. 

I will be looking forward to that... and ANY posts or updates on this subject Dan (dbemowsk).

We are at the cutting edge of this technology... and yet there is no bleeding. I have often referred to my early adaptions as bleeding edge... in reference to BLEEDING MONEY.. due to the costs of being early with new technology. But SARA is a huge benefit without the big expense.

When I bought BVC the only other Voice Controlled Systems (HAL & HomeSeer) was (and still are) VERY expense. A microphone setup cost a fortune as well back then before we discovered intercoms (thanks glt) and baby monitors. My Voice Control uses an old saved from the trash P3, $17 baby monitors, and a $30 donation to BVC.

Now with a $10 BlueTooth Dongle and a small donation for BlueWatch we can have true Occupancy Sensing. These two softwares are technology exploitation at its best.

Now all we need are, users (like us) to use our own imaginations to really put this technology to use. I am doing all I can to promote this advancement.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:20:40 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »

I was thinking last night after I posted that for the $129.00 I may cash in the old change bucket.  I should more than be able to cover the cost and maybe even get me a few of those XPT switches I have been drooling over for the past few days.  So I may be getting this sooner that I had originally planned. 

As mentioned, I will keep you all posted with the results.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

I was thinking last night after I posted that for the $129.00 I may cash in the old change bucket. 

You may want to think about a simple dongle antenna mod. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oExS4g4VNk&feature=related

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »

I just added a new feature... to my S.A.R.A. setup.

I want SARA to sense my needs.. and ask.. or suggest automation services that can be provided. As an example... when I sit down in my chair with my coffee in the morning SARA should ask me if I would like a weather update, or the TV or radio turned ON. But I don't want SARA asking me if I want a TV or radio on... if its already on.

I just purchased a TV trickle saver (From SmartHome). This device allowed me to setup TV status monitoring... with off-the-shelf devices.

Using BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) allows me to Voice Command (or reply to the computers suggestions) by just speaking. The USB-UIRT allows the HA computer to control IR devices..  like the TV. And now with the new (currently beta testing) BVC feature I won't need to use a command phrase when replying to SARA requests... I will be able to accept automation suggestions with conversational replies.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:56:09 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »

Well the S.A.R.A. project may be getting a big boost soon. :'
Imagine being able to do some of the things you guys have been talking about and not wasting X10 HC UC to do it
How cool would it be to have all your HA software talking to each other whether on the same machine or on another machine at the other end of the house.
There are already projects like this .
I wish I'd found them earlier (may have saved me some time and hair pulling) but then it may have discouraged me. ::) :'
Many programs have networking built in but don't talk to other programs like the AXP or XPL projects
I started on a simular project while chatting about how to interface with BVC last winter @ HAC with  -Bill- (of wgjohns.com).
I'm now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! rofl
Question: Is this worth continuing considering the other projects out there now?
I only hope BVC will get code added to interface with other programs in this manner? :'
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:05:23 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »

Well the S.A.R.A. project may be getting a big boost soon...........
.................Question: Is this worth continuing considering the other projects out there now?
I only hope BVC will get code added to interface with other programs in this manner? :'

I had really hoped my work [S.A.R.A.] would be more inspirational than developmental. Since I can't write code but truly feel that... real automation is computer control. And that always meant software development. I always hoped code writers and users would turn new ideas into new software.

But I am not really sure what the numbers are.. as in how many users actually want a Sarah style of home control. Knightrider and myself may be the bulk of the market that wants that level of computerized control.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:27:29 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 03:34:50 PM »

But I am not really sure what the numbers are.. as in how many users actually want a Sarah style of home control. Knightrider and myself may be the bulk of the market that wants that level of computerized control.
Well with the number of users BVC and PCC have I would doubt that.
In any case I think I may have one more programer on board even though I'm in the final testing for the next release of PCC.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »

.... Well with the number of users BVC and PCC have I would doubt that.

Well that makes me feel better! I really love this automation stuff!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »

Well if users don't start requesting (demanding) stuff from a programs Author then maybe it will be our grand kids that will see our visions materialize
User will move on if a program can't deliver.
And if they want something bad enough they make it themselves.

There is a whole mess of open source stuff out there that can be implemented none of which I have got to yet. ::) :' and may never! :'(
Two get things done faster then one. the more on board the faster things will happen!

Contact the authors of your favorite third party X10 software and tell them to get on the band wagon or you'll support someone who will!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »

OK one step closer to total S.A.R.A. rofl
PCC BlueWatch and AlertDialer Plus (ADP) now have the client code inside.
Besides each being able to speak what the others send they can request info from each as well.
PCC can see who is home from BlueWatch
ADP Can get new email messages from PCC
And BlueWatch can get reminders from PCC
I believe there are a total of 6 commands selectable from each so far.
Oh And now I don't have a cold dinner, with the chat/page button my wife can call me for dinner! rofl
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »

OK one step closer to total S.A.R.A. rofl

It is the software that will make S.A.R.A. a reality.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »

The cool part of this is, if one program gets updated with new commands to act on I don't need to update them all.
This makes it even easier for other programers to add their programs into the X10Relayer network!
The end user can simple add the command to the NetCommands.txt and the other programs are ready to send those commands.
Thus the end to multi program updates! rofl
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

aussie mate

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 04:28:57 AM »

all this talk about "interconnecting" HA software is a great idea.
it would make it easier to get things to interface and work together.

It would be great to see Bluewatch - as the main bluetooth module of HA - to be able to have the ability to connect a BT microphone in to  the PC and therefore into BVC.

I am also planning to look at using an android tablet as control touch screens.
If they can be linked into the HA PC via the WIFI - we may be able to use the built in camera and microphone in the tablet as well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.