Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 trouble shooting 2 systems  (Read 4819 times)

riverrat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 trouble shooting 2 systems
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »

I installed two  X10 sytems for customers.  I am using a combination of MS41a's with WS467 switches, transceivers and an appliance modules.

Both customers report the systems seemingly activating randomly without anything tripping the motion detector.

At one location I installed one MS14a motion detector under the top rail of the hand rail for steps (approx 33 - 36" off porch floor and located for the same wrap around porch) at entry steps at different ends of the house. Both motion detectors are set to A1. The 2 WS467 switches which control the porch lights and a transceiver located upstairs (and has a light plugged into it) are also set to A1. The distance from the motion detectors to the transceiver is probably 20 to 30 feet.   Either motion detector cuts on all the lights for entry lighting and security. On this one the customer says at night the system is cutting on every 15 or so and cutting off as set up 8 minutes but it cycles on/off until he had to unplug the transceiver.  I will double check to make sure no CFL are being used since I installed it.

The other location is set up much the same.  There is a motion detector on the front of which catches a customers car passing in front of house (apporx 30 feet) or foot traffic approaching the front steps where the MS14a is mounted. There is a WS467 switch for the front porch light and one WS467 switch  for the garage flood light on the end of the house.

There is another motion detector for the back entry deck which is attached under the top rail of the ground floor deck railing. There is an inside WS467 switch for the back deck light. All are coded to A1. The transceiver for the system (which has a lamp plugged into it also) is located upstairs (same floor as front porch light and motion detector).  There seems to be some random operation on this one.

We are located in a very rural area. Deer, dogs, turkeys, etc...  No close neighbors.  Could be noisey power?

Everything seemed to function OK when I set it up for both.  One of the customers has a slim line keychain remote to manually cut off everything which seems to work flawlessly.

I am not sure if I used Alkaline batteries.   Could this be an issue if the distance to the transceiver is marginal and maybe the sytem is not receiving the off signal everytime?  Could there be some interference issues between the same code motion detectors and automatic resets to off (which are set to 16 min on one and 8 for the other)?   Maybe the positioning of the MS14a is mounted too low ?

Maybe add another transceiver? closer to most distant MS14a?  Maybe an couplier/repeater like a XPCR?

any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

Hugh

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 trouble shooting 2 systems
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »

$0.02

1. Electrical noise usually prevents the X10 signal from getting to it's target. Symptoms of noise is: you send a command to a remote module to turn ON, OFF, BRI/DIM etc.  and it don't. It is very rare that noise will CAUSE a module to turn ON or OFF or BRI/DIM. Same is true of range problems with any of the RF devices (Palm Pad, Keychain remote, XXXXEye motion sensors). Poor RF signal at the transceiver usually means things don't happen as expected when commands are sent.

2. Batteries could be a problem. They should definately be Alkaline and not standard zinc.

3. My xxxxEye motion sensors will trigger from wind (actually I think leaves blowing, causes changing light patterns, including infrared, across the lens which causes the trigger).

Are the sensors positioned in such a way that they are looking directly at a light source (setting/rising sun, outside light, etc)? If so you might try and reposition so they are not looking directly at the light.

4. Animals will trigger motion sensors.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 12:23:11 PM »

Using a second transceiver TM751. May or may not help. They are not polite and if both receive the sensors signal. They could step on each others power line transmission.

Also watch for the motion sensors dusk dawn sensor. It sends a signal on the units address plus one unit code. At dusk and dawn.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »

...........  Are the sensors positioned in such a way that they are looking directly at a light source (setting/rising sun, outside light, etc)? If so you might try and reposition so they are not looking directly at the light.

People can tend to forget that the environment changes. The sun doesn't rise or set behind that same tree or outbuilding all year.. as the seasons change it can be a problem now.. even though it was fine last month.

Traffic might not be heavier this time of year... but since the leaves fell and the air cooled, traffic can be seen from further away, by the sensors.

A1 is the default for eye sensors... weak batteries can cause it to send an A1 signal. In the cold of the night... batteries can drop to there lowest levels.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.