Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DIN RAIL AD10 problems  (Read 2759 times)

guido123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
DIN RAIL AD10 problems
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »

Hello everyone.
I recently have some problems with the modules, mentioned above. After working for more then a year without any failure, they start acting very strange. At certain times some, but not all, of the AD10 can't be controlled anymore. They stay in the on or off mode. Other X10 devices have no problems.
I was able to find the cause : Electronic devices for dimming neonlights. When these things are changing dimlevels, things go bad...
Curiously these devices were also there, a year ago and they work ever since through a FM10 filter.
What to do now? Another filter?  X10-signal amplifier?
Anyone with a possible solution is more than welcome...

greets,
GUIDO

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: DIN RAIL AD10 problems
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »

Here in the US we don't have some of the devices like the AD10 and FM10 modules.

If you had the dimming neon lights on a FM10 filter and the system was working for a year. The lights maybe aging and there is more noise or the power supplies maybe getting noisier. I don't think another filter would help unless the originals have failed and are letting noise pass.
Signal amplifier may help, but that would just be masking the problem and if the lights are aging. They will just continue to deteriorate.

guido123

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »

Thanks Brian,
The lamps I use are rather old. More than 3 years and they work for about 12 hours a day. It could very well be they are throwing more noise on the powerline now.
First I 'll try to change the noise filter,  that's easy. Do you have experience on the reliability of those things?
On the other hand, I find it very strange, that only three X10 devices out of +/- 20(luckily...), have these problems.
Perhaps a matter of sensitivity?

greets
Guido

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »

It could be the modules.
The AD10 has features that we have no US equivalent. So it could be even one of the unused inputs is now sensitive, but that is just an educated guess.  ;D

guido123

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:53:57 AM »

A week ago, I wasn't so sure anymore about the cause of the problems. Sometimes the modules got out of control when the lamps were not changing dimlevels or even when they were out.  :-\  But now I've noticed that the powerline voltage, which should be 230Vac, fluctuates. Sometimes  it drops below 220Vac and then things start to go bad.
So I guess I have to have a chat with my electricityprovider or look for modules that work on a lower voltage.  -:)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:04:32 AM »

The AD10 Users Sheet. Says the voltage range is 230 Volts +10% and -15%. That would be 195 volts on the low end.
Maybe the voltage drop is from a bad connection that causes noise. Just a thought.

guido123

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:59:14 AM »

the voltage drop can be measured in the whole house. The lowest measurement was 207Vac. It drops around noon and in the early evening. People are coming home ,start cooking and watching TV ?
I've also read the usersheet. So normally the modules should not be affected by the drop. But three of them are. They only work without any faillure above 219, 220Vac. But they certainly don't work within the specified voltage range.
Never heard of such a problem...
I'll have to look up which tolerance the electricity provider has to guarantee on the powerline voltage, before making a complaint.
Or just replace those three modules. Which will cost me some money :(.
But maybe easier and quicker then endless discussions with the provider...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:25:23 AM »

If the modules are not working at 207 volts and the specifications are -15%. Maybe a warranty thing with the manufacturer.

Yes at my home voltages also change depending on time of day. But not as great a spread as you are seeing.
My line voltage meter [on line all the time]. Reads between 122 and 117 volts.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.