Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: -SOLVED- "First Use Wizard" comes again with ActiveHome Pro in Windows 7  (Read 12458 times)

fje

• Helpful Post Rating: 2

Hi,

the good news is that I installed the European Version of ActiveHome Pro (both 3.278 and 3.240) in a Windows 7 64bits Ultimate Edition and it works !!!

In order not to lose all my definitions I had in the old system I copied the contents of the folder from the old to the new one... and again, it works... all the definitions, timers and macros are there....

BUT, it uses to be always a "but", every time I start AH the "first use wizard" comes and I have to click on exit and also the dialog telling that the "monitorized house code is A and there are more modules with code M (which is the one I have at home), do you want to change the house code ?" comes again. I press "Change the house code" and in theory AH should save this preference some place... BUT again, next time I start it the wizard and the change house code comes and comes.

It seems as if AH was not able to correctly save those two parameters where it is supposed to save them so, next time I execute it, it needs again to run both pieces of code.

I already sent the question to european support, but no answer for the time being. So, my question in this forum is: Does any one know where those parameters are supposed to be saved in Windows 7 or where were they saved in previous systems (lets say Windows XP, for instance) and I would try to find out them in my Windows 7 and mark them "by hand" ?

It is nothing serious, but a bit annoying.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:21:30 PM by fje »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: "First Use Wizard" comes again with ActiveHome Pro in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »

When  windows 7 beta was first released many users here on the forum test ran AHP on it!
Win 7 saves configuration files differently (separate location).
While playing with PCC and BVC I did find the location of application data files.
The exact location slips my mind at the moment but I do know you need to have system files visible and admin privileges to find them and alter them.
I did mention the location to -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) so maybe he will chime in with the location if he can remember it!
Few here use the European Version of ActiveHome Pro though some like myself have tested it.
 -:)
You might try some of the microsoft forums to get the location Windows 7 places application data files and how to alter them! ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

fje

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »

Hi, Tuicemen. Thanks for your reply. I feel I know were the application data files are in Windows 7. I'll try to do some investigation and if I succeed, I'll post it here.

If in the meantime Bill read this forum and could remember what you told him, it would be great if he can update this forum with the info.

Edit: I feel I found what I suppose are the files where AH save the configuration in Windows XP and I could do similar in Windows 7, but I feel the ones I found are for saving info in the CM15 device, they are in \All Users\Program Data\Active Home Professional. But I cannot find where to put the mark of "AH introductory wizard already executed" and the info of the house code. Anyone can tell me where exactly these couple of things are saved ? I'll later try to find them in Windows 7 and work with them

Rds.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:57:08 PM by fje »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »

I assume (you remember what assume really means) Windows 7 puts stuff just like XP and Vista did : C:/Program Files/ActiveHome Pro is where AHP is installed and where it keeps all .ahx files.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

fje

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:36:25 AM »

I assume (you remember what assume really means) Windows 7 puts stuff just like XP and Vista did : C:/Program Files/ActiveHome Pro is where AHP is installed and where it keeps all .ahx files.
Dan you are right, in Windows 7 the .ahx are in the same place (in 64b versions in "Program Files (x86)) and I found the configuration files for the CM15 in C:\Program Data. But I still don't know what parameters to change for not having the wizard coming and coming again and for not asking to change the house code all the times AHP is executed.

Any one knows?

Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:27:50 AM »

Dan
Actually windows 7 rebuilds program configuration files on the first save and places them in a totally different folder . So you find the original configuration files in the programs folder but Windows 7 uses the info from another place. Some new security feature ::) :'

That being said fje have you gone into Preferences/Smart macros under Smart Macro Interface & check advanced.
I haven't used the wizard since first introduced in beta testing.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

fje

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »

Tuiceman,

I looked for both *.ahx and also all ahp*.* in full searc over all the disks my computer has.

I only have *.ahx in the Active Home Pro installation directory and several configuration files that seems to be used for the CM15 eprom in the Docs & Settings area. There is also something in C:\Programm Data, X10 related, but it doesn't seem to be of use for what I am looking for.

I discovered also that in XP AHP seems to "remember" the status last time it was closed: introductory wizard was run, house code and what room (or set of rooms) was displayed when closed. In Win7 it seems to "forget" all these data.

So, question is still: Where, in which file and using which parameters does AHP save "the last situation before closing" in XP? Knowing that, I could try to find out it in Win 7.

Does anyone have a good interface with AHP developpers/supporters for finding an answer to the question ?

Thanks again.

Javier

fje

Re: -SOLVED - "First Use Wizard" comes again with ActiveHome Pro in Windows 7
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »

A light  -:) switched on in my brain and I did a simple test and it worked, all that has to be done is to run AH in Windows 7 "as administrator" all the issues are solved... everything works.  :)%

Hope this will help to any other one with similar problem.

Rgds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:32:32 PM by fje »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.