Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 7, VA12A driver, Device Manager  (Read 7845 times)

Videonut

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Windows 7, VA12A driver, Device Manager
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »

My VA12a just died on me and I 'm not sure if it's actually dead or if the driver crapped out. I've tried reinstalling from scratch but the VA12a doesn't show up in the device manager and I'm not sure if it ever did in Windows 7.
Can anyone with windows 7 and a VA12a look in the device manager and see if there is a VA12a driver/device listed.
The only reference to x10 in the device manager I have is, "X10 USB ActiveHome (ACPI Compliant)" , which could be my CM15a.
BTW it's not a camera issue as they are working if I plug them directly into my TV card.
Thanks..

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
Re: Windows 7, VA12A driver, Device Manager
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »

Hi Videonut,

Under Win7 RC1, I find the VA12A listed under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers".  Driver info is as follows:

Driver Provider:  X10
Driver Date:  11/17/2007
Driver Version: 2.87.0.33

If I remember correctly, Win 7 even found the driver automatically during the install!
The VA12A does work OK, though AHP (of course!) has some problems.

You might try de-installing the VA12A, rebooting without it attached, then plug it back in and see if Win7 detects it.

And yes, you are correct that the "X10 USB ActiveHome, etc" device is your CM15a.

Let me know if there's anything else I can check for you.

ITguy

Videonut

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »

Thanks for the info, ITGuy.
Windows 7 did install VA12A drivers when I installed Win7 originally. I've now tried the VA12A in an XP and Vista system and the VA12A isn't seen and will not activate the New Hardware Found Wizard in any system. Also tried the x10drivers.exe from tech support at X10.
Looks like the unit is cooked, but it's still under warranty.
I guess that the driver doesn't show up in the device manager if the unit is unplugged (or broken).
Just out of curiosity, if you feel like it, could you unplug your VA12A and reboot and see if the driver is still listed.

Thanks...

schnurro

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:18:12 PM »

I doubt its cooked ... thats what X10 told me.... nope its the VA12A and the CM15A that won't install properly if you are using other USB's I found.  My wireless internet stick won't work with X10 Active Home Pro, VA12A, CM15A and I have tried it on two different computers now ... one being brand new so that X10 stuff would work.  I bought 2.9 gh Intel Duo Core and it worked for a bit but very buggy and then it quits off and on.  I first had the VA11A and it did the same thing.  I think its X10 doesn't know how to make software and drivers myself!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »

PLEASE schnurro,
 You have done nothing but rant about how your system did not work for you, we are sorry to here that but here at the forum we long to help all those who ask kindly and makes the attempt and understanding of how to get their system to work for them.

You have not asked but only expressed your dismay about X10. Most of us here have their system working very well. In my case both my systems had many problems in the beginning. But with help from the forum and the members, I am able to have an almost perfect system with everything working like and as it should work.

So save the complaining and if you really like to try, just ask and see if we can help you. If not then just fade away please and leave the rest of us to have fun with our toys.

BaBaLou.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=12842.0

Please let us try and help.  It's a waste of everyone's time to find only rantings.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Videonut

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »

Schnurro, perhaps you didn't get from my original post that everything worked fine in Windows 7.
It's just that one day it stopped working.
I can understand your frustration with setting up AHP as it can be problematic, but with the help of users here and some patience, you too can have a working AHP system.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »

Videonut,

You are right.  If I unplug the VA12A while the machine is off, when I bring it back up, the VA12A is no longer shown in Device Manager.  If I then plug the VA12A back in, it takes only a few seconds for it to be recognized and reappear in Device Manager.

One other thing you could try.  If you have USB 2.0 jacks on both the front and rear of your machine, try plugging the VA12A into the other set.  Many times the front and rear sets will be on different USB controllers.  I've had multiple times where switching the VA12A or the CM15A from one to another would make Windows start seeing it again.  I'm guessing that since yours wouldn't work in XP, this won't help, but you never know.

Good luck!

ITguy

Videonut

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 10:39:13 PM »

Thanks for the follow up ITGuy. Good suggestion on the USB ports. I had tried different USB ports on the system as I have,in the past for unrelated issues on different systems, run into issues with USB bandwidth and the different USB header groups remembering incorrect settings, if that makes sense.
I'm pretty well convinced now, with all the trouble shooting, that the problem is the VA12A device. Now I just have to get an RMA and replace the unit.
Thanks...

schnurro

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 01:28:12 AM »

Sorry ... but I have wasted days trying to get the VA12A to work on my XP Home old computer or Windows 7 on my new computer ... its been over a year now that X10 hasn't been able to suggest much ... it was suggested I try a powered USB hub and so I bought one and it still didn't work.  I bought a brand new computer with windows 7 and it still wouldn't install properly.  I finally figured it out after pulling my hair out for the last year trying to get help from X10 without any luck at all.  I never did get AHP to work on my old XP1500+ cpu computer. 

I was blocked by barracuda from emailing X10 and that is why I was complaining on this forum.  I was getting fed the F up not getting any help from X10, and their website still says tech support 24/7 for my cell phone plan and when I call the number X10 is not open.  I have mentioned this to X10 a few times and still their website says 24/7 in many places.  X10 is false advertising and this has me furious.

Anyway using my new computer with Windows 7 I finally figured out Windows 7 today ... to make a long story shorter I finally switched around my USB devices so that my CM15A and the VA12A are on the computer's USB and not on a powered USB hub anymore.  My Sierra wireless internet stick also needed to be on the computer's USB and not the powered USB hub due to the Active Home Pro software screwing up both AHP and my Sierra Wireless Internet Stick.   I couldn't get on the net without uninstalling and reinstalling my Sierra internet stick. 

I learned in Windows 7 you can stop the X10net service by going into start/control panel/admin tools/services/ and looking for X10 near the bottom of the list and clicking on stop the service.  May help to uninstall AHP.

I tried all versions, believe me!  I am trying 3.228 right now after reading it may not be as buggy.  Which is the online upgrade from 3.204 here at this link.  http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/

I thought my AHP macros were not working after I finally got AHP installed properly, but it was my Active Eye and Eagle Eye sensors range because when I brought the Active Eye in the house it finally made my chime ring.  I did have the Active Eye sensor pointed through a window at my CM15a within 15 feet maybe 20 feet.  As soon as I moved the sensor closer to the window it finally worked.  I am wondering what I can do to get some better RF range out of my sensors.  I tried moving my CM15a antenna around.  I have both my Sentinal Cameras hard wired and my macro works, just not the sensors.  My remotes work fine too.  Any suggestions?   I don't want to buy more stuff if I don't have to. I have been reading that some mods or other equipment from other companies may help.

Forever Out of Stock  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Extending_the_Range_of_Security_System_Sensors_and_Remotes

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Optimizing_Motion_Sensor_Detection

schnurro

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 01:50:15 AM »

One more thing is that when I had AHP 3.236 installed and before I rolled back to 3.228 maybe my macros were working and I just thought they were not because my Active Eye Motion sensor needed to be moved closer.  I was following this example for making macros which I thought were not working before, but are now working after moving the motion sensor closer.

I have never had so much trouble trying to install something in my life!  I can just imagine what it is like for someone new to computers.  I feel sorry for them.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/What_Are_Flags%3F

schnurro

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 03:48:35 AM »

B:(  Awwwww that older 3.228 (supposedly more stable) version won't work with my windows 7 and the VA12A and my video is a white out.  With the newer version 3.236 I can see the video.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

AHA!  IS THIS THE FIX??  I have had washed out video and NO SNAPSHOT button action or saves since going back to 3.228 either!  I will now try back to 3.326!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember, I too have been fighting no video since going back to ver 3.228.........

- loading....loading....loading  javascript:void(0);  drinking..... drinking....drinking....

- Ahem!  Ahp updated from 3.228 to 3.236:  and the winner is:::::::;
yawn....  welll..... ahp update to 3.236 stuck, doing nothing waiting on 'skipping check for windows components'....
- javascript:void(0);  enjoying the wait some more!..........
- BTW, while waiting, I can tell you that ahp, since uninstalling 3.236, has never since given me back a - UNDELETE option for itself....  remember this is win7....
- bingo!  wait is over (1 beer & 40 sec later:) and installing update....wow it is slow now... stuck at 23% download on ahp.dll  - ya, I know it is like 7mb bigt but 7mb on my dsl takes like 15 sec!
- but this is good!  more time to reflect on the meaning of life (actually time to go to the refridge and get another beer without missing anything - thank you x10!).............
- well,  beer runover so time to kill it and try again....
- hmmmm, at this rate I will not be able to type intelligently into the computer soon....
- Bingo again!  got it in 40 sec flat!  did not install iwitness 3.236 yet tho - though it best to try part way and see what happens....
- cool beans!  got my snapshot switch back!  but now whitewash video is GONE!  unfortunately now I get black screen instead of videa - no fear tho!  I still have ver 3.228 iwitness installed.....  got 1/2 a beer left so time enough to upgrade iwitness next.....
- BTW, I hope this is of value to someone else... if not tell me and I will refrain from this fun in the future.....
on to iwitness update......  interesting they still call the file name iwatchout_236....wish they could get consistent!
- as Sgt Schultz would say, VERY interesting...................  on ver 3.204/228 it NEVER once during install stated installing drivers for va12...- just va11.... now it does!
- the good news:  I still now have snapshot sound back & looking in the directory, finally have pix again too!!!!!!!!!!!  the bad news is the pix, like the camera views, are all pure black.  but I can live with this!!!!!!!!!!!!  IT IS BETTER THAN washed out white!!!!  hemm...  lets get back to trying to fix this puppy.... 
- what to try next? BTW, if I got paid by the number of hours I spent on this x10 stuff I would have retired about 5 years ago.....
- what next....  let's see if va12 is still in the device mgr list:  yep, sure enoguh.  drive is ver 2.87.0.33 dated 1/17/07....
- now I can try a reboot or try the newer driver dwnload for vista/win7 mentioned elsewhere on this forum....
-I'm going for the new driver load to ver 3.239....  file name on x10 website:  x10drivers_6432_239.exe
- time enough during install for last beer of the evening....  back in a minute.....  says system must be rebooted... nonsense....
- guess not nonsense.  still back screen on video.  crud.  reboot next..   I will pick up this where I left off later tonight after reboot......

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »

I'M BACK

reboot fixed washout and now have good video again.  also have snapshot control back and pix saved to hd.  so sorry but cannot tell you if going to new drivers 3.239 OR last thing fixed video.

So guess to have video we gotta have timerws that don't work.  at this point I will take video instead of timers.

SUMMARY:
----------------------------------
1) If you use win7 (or probably vista) then you GOTTA have ver 3.236 for video drivers to work
2) you cannot use vanguard on this system with ahp 3.228 to get video back - same washout problem.
3) newest win7/vista drivers do NOT fix washout video problem with ahp prior to 3.236

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!!!!!!!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »

Kinda makes me wonder if the driver version is the problem.  3.239 drivers vs 3.236 drivers.

Mike,
Tell us after a day or so, if you still have problems with the timers.

Honestly, 3.236 works fine here, and has for the last several months.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.