Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clothes Dryer End Cycle Chime  (Read 3821 times)

electronicbuff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Clothes Dryer End Cycle Chime
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »

B:(
I'm trying to get the PowerFlash (model PCC01) to trigger a remote Chime (model SC546A) at the end of the clothes dryer cycle.  I'm looking at monitoring the current usage of the dryer to do this with a Current Transducer which produces a voltage while the dryer is running.  I've head of someone adding another power supply to do this but I know there is another way without costing extra electrical use.

The problem I have is the voltage produced by the Transducer will make the PowerFlash send an "ON" signal to the Chime while the dryer is running and an "OFF" signal when the dryer stops.  This is backwards of what I need.

I'd rather not add another power supply to control a relay to control the PowerFlash if I can. 

Does anyone know of a Sensitive Relay that I can connect to the PowerFlash that would run off of the low power and current output of a Transducer monitoring the power feed of the clothes dryer that would provide an open & closed circuit to trigger the PowerFlash? 

I haven't had any luck finding one lately.  The last one I ever saw was back in the 80s.  I didn't need one then but I do now.

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
Re: Clothes Dryer End Cycle Chime
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »

Do you have a Ahp.  A Macro would do it nicely.   Even repeat the chime.
M M ElectricMan

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »

How are you doing this now? I want to do this too. What current transducer? etc
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

bitman

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »

Dunka Brian. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »

I have seen the CT800 sensors fairly inexpensive through Google searches.
It has a dry contact switch in it. Can trigger a PowerFlash in Input 'B' directly.

Though it would be reversed. Chime when turned on.
Will think about and look around for other solutions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:16:00 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

I have not seen many sensitive coil relays lately and the ones in Mouser or Digikey catalogs are all DC.
Maybe you could rectify and filter the transducers output. In that case the CT-800 that has a switched output would not work. I believe they make current transformers that have an output proportional to the current flowing through their core.

I have seen and used some of the new Solid State relays that look like DIP IC's.
Some have NO and NC outputs.
Many can be driven by low voltage DC [some as low as 1.4 V DC] so again maybe a rectified and filtered transducer output could trigger one of those. Use the NC output and when the dryer is on the output is off.

Will have to do some more searching and thinking on this.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:58:11 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 07:41:43 AM »

Well I found a module that can be set to send an X10 On when an open is on the sensor input and an X10 Off when a close is on the sensor input. So a CT-800 that gives a close when there is current sensed will send an X10 Off and when the current stops an X10 On will be sent.  ;D

I triggered my A4 addressed chime module when I opened the input to the module.

I used a Smarthome 2450 I/OLinc. Programed the X10 address in it and set it to Off at closure of the sensor input and On at opening  of the sensor input.
http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=Assigning_an_X10_Address_to_the_I/O_Linc_Sensor_Input
Steps 1-4.

I found with my early firmware unit. The address can be followed by the On or Off command from a HR12A Palm Pad and didn't have to be three addresses then three commands. In my test for Chime Module A4. The Palm Pad sent A4 AOff, A4 AOff, A4 AOff.

Unlike the PowerFlash. The I/OLinc can only use a closure on the Sensor Input {not sure if sensor was a real good label for it} and it can not be used with a low voltage input.

I monitored the power line and double checked the signals. I got an A4 AOff when I closed the sensor input and an A4 AOn when I opened the sensor input.

I know you wanted to not use an added power supply, but one could be used if nothing else fits your needs. Power supply through the CT-800 pulling in a 12 volt relay that has its NC connections to the Powerflash.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:56:10 AM by Brian H »

bitman

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »

Bravo Brian!

- And the crowd goes wild.

:)% :)% :)% :)% :)% :)%
 :)% :)% :)% :)% :)% :)%

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.