Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: garage door solution  (Read 6392 times)

glousteau

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
garage door solution
« on: December 13, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »

I'm looking to build a "solution" for my wifes grandfather as a birthday/christmas present.  Pretty simple, lamp module with a night light plugged into it, psc01 powerflash interface, and a garage door contact (I think this is my problem).  I actually have this working at my house (on my own setup that's been in place for a while) and am testing the stuff I bought for him before wrapping it all up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320447779689 here is the garage door contact I purchased and it says closed loop (normally closed, I think??)

I'm getting exactly the opposite result I'm looking for, my night light comes on when the door is closed, NOT when the door is opened.  I think I must have a normally open contact on my setup and bought the wrong thing.  Is there some other work around for this, or do I need a new garage door contact?

thanks
Greg

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: garage door solution
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »

I'm getting exactly the opposite result I'm looking for, my night light comes on when the door is closed, NOT when the door is opened.  I think I must have a normally open contact on my setup and bought the wrong thing.  Is there some other work around for this, or do I need a new garage door contact?

The simple easy solution is a new reed-switch (about $5 online). I use the same switch you have... and reverse the results in AHP.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

glousteau

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:31:10 AM »

can you send me a link?  and/or explain what a reed switch does?

if I choose to get a  new garage door contact, anyone know where i can get a normally open one?

thanks

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »

This unit has three wires which allows for connection to both normally open and normally closed comtacts.
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Garage-Door-Sensors/ODC-59B

mkgriff

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »

what does this do? is this an alarm circuit or a magnetic switch?  I am looking for something like a magnetic switch that senses metal and goes normally close to trigger a universal module to open an electric entry door.  My desire is to place it under a wooden deck and then when my wheelchair rolls over it it would close and activate the universal module which would then activate the door. -:)
BVC & AHP mean never having to say "TURN THAT LIGHT ON WHEN YOU GO BY"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »

The device is a magnetic switch. It could be used to trigger a PF284 or X10Pro PSC01 Powerflash.
That could send an X10 signal to the Universal Module. It does require a magnet on the device it is going to trigger on.

It almost sounds like you want a proximity switch that detects the wheelchairs metal frame. Maybe to trigger the Universal Module.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »

.... My desire is to place it under a wooden deck and then when my wheelchair rolls over it it would close and activate the universal module which would then activate the door.

You could do that with one of X10's pocket (tiny) remotes. But maybe an RF or IR controlled door lock would be both convenient AND secure.

.. It almost sounds like you want a proximity switch that detects the wheelchairs metal frame. Maybe to trigger the Universal Module.

Tuicemen has a detecter that see's BlueTooth enabled cell phones. I myself use (and am a fan of) BlueWatch. But it does require a PC running 24/7 and has a limited range of about 33 feet.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:27:54 PM »

Tuicemen has a detecter that see's BlueTooth enabled cell phones. I myself use (and am a fan of) BlueWatch. But it does require a PC running 24/7 and has a limited range of about 33 feet.

Actually BlueWatch isn't limited to 33 feet. It is limited by the Bluetooth devices used with it. ;)
IF the PC bluetooth card or dongle are class1 (and most are) :)% and your PDA or Cell is class 1 (most aren't)  :( you can get a range of 330 feet.
Do a antenna mod and you can even increase that!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »

Actually BlueWatch isn't limited to 33 feet. IF the PC bluetooth card or dongle are class1 (and most are) :)% and your PDA or Cell is class 1 (most aren't)  :( you can get a range of 330 feet. Do a antenna mod and you can even increase that!

I picked up a couple spare dongles from geeks.com. I have a feeling there might be a antenna mod in my future.

mkgriff

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »

okay here's what I'm wanting to do, I'm wanting to open/close the door for entry.  I'm wanting to do this only when I get close to it so the Bluetooth wouldn't be an option because it would work too far away.  I do have two computers that run 24/7 in the house so that would not be an issue and the one does have Bluetooth (I guess I'm going to have to check out night riders program).  I've also got AHP and BVC running full time as well.  Okay the reason I was thinking about using a magnetic switch or something to sense the metal in the wheelchair was I could put it fairly close to the door and turned down the sensitivity so I would have to be almost on it to activate the door.  The door opener is a skylink with an electromagnetic lock, when you trigger the remote the lock releases and the door opens/closes and relocks.  My issue here is I cannot use my hands to push a remote so how I'm doing it right now is I tell BVC open patio door, then when I get in to the patio room I can push a button on the wall with my knee, this is all so how I get out.  Once I'm back in my house I close the door with BVC.  I'm using a set up on my house that is probably 15 years old and much more expensive ($1500 compared to $200).  The House opener uses a driveway automobile sensing switch made to conceal under your driveway, you then drive across it and it activates your garage door.  If I'm not mistaken it was from ???Heathkit???  That's been a while ago... ???anyway the sensitivity is turned way down, it's mounted under my wooden porch, I have to be directly over it to unlock an open house door, and of course then after a preset time it closes.  So this is what I'm looking to do.  I thank everyone for their help and ideas.  And by the way I am trying to think of an application for the Bluetooth
BVC & AHP mean never having to say "TURN THAT LIGHT ON WHEN YOU GO BY"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »

...I guess I'm going to have to check out night riders program....

I honored, but it belongs to the great Tuicemen.  He's much more knowledgeable in the ways of the force (programming) than I.

I'm just a coding novice

Credit where credit is due, and

Cheers!

Edited by Tuicemen to fix Quote error
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:04:34 PM by Tuicemen »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 04:12:06 PM »

but it belongs to the great Tuicemen.
rofl Thanks for the high praise  :-[
I've been thinking a little more about this and every one wants to mod Bluetooth devices for more range.
Bluetooth has a 3rd class with very low range though I haven't seen any devices built or marketed with it.
Why not mod a Bluetooth antenna to decrease it's range?  ???
This is something I may be looking at shortly myself ;)
Just wondering what cutting the antenna in half would do ::) ??? ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 08:43:10 PM »

Why not mod a Bluetooth antenna to decrease it's range?  ??? This is something I may be looking at shortly myself ;)
Just wondering what cutting the antenna in half would do ::) ??? ???

Get yourself about a foot (one third of a meter) of metal (alum or copper) screen. Make the screen into a sleeve then slip it over the dongle without any of the screen touching the dongle. It will be more effective if the screen is grounded. That should absorb both ingoing and outbound signals.... and reduce range.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:48:28 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 12:11:29 AM »

okay here's what I'm wanting to do, I'm wanting to open/close the door for entry.  I'm wanting to do this only when I get close to it .............

Almost forgot what we were posting about. I think what your describing may be a perfect use for common RFID tags and a reader (Not that I've ever used one). Often the readers only work withing a few inches... and are commonly mounted near a door so tags usually don't need to be removed from pockets or purses. You could mount the tag to the proper location on the chair.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:16:31 AM by Dave_x10_L »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 01:56:57 AM »

mkgriff,

A more secure solution would be an RFID tag reader, or maybe a proximity card reader.

A cheaper solution would be to use a wireless microphone or baby monitor wired to your chair's power supply and then connect the receiver to the PC or set it near the PC's microphone.  That way you could voice command BVC as you do from within the house.

By the way, glad to see you made it to the forum!

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.