Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie to X-10! Can someone point me to....  (Read 2798 times)

gavilaso

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie to X-10! Can someone point me to....
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:38 AM »

HI all from Puerto Rico, I'm complete new to X-10, I know what it is for and everything but i don't know how to start... can someone help me out on how to start. I would like to control the ligth of my home... i work as a IT so i know how to work with PC and Firewall etc etc but i don't know what do i need to start with x-10 at home....

Can some one give me a litter hand?

Thanks in advance!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Newbie to X-10! Can someone point me to....
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »

You don't know what to ask, so you might look at the X10 website to get ideas and help you get to the point of asking questions. Look at the "Home Automation" section first.
Starting points would be: for X10lighting control, "Lamp Modules" and "Wall Switches" for INCANDESCENT lights. There are "special" wall switches and Appliance Modules that can control flourescent lights but it is going to be pretty confusing in the begining. Do you just want to control lights remotly, or automate at the same time? etc. etc. etc. Check out X10.com.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gavilaso

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »

Thank Dave W for your reply.. i just spoke with x10 com and the hay a home automation starter kit, for $99.00 and i think i'm goint to start with it.. but my bigger question was if i need to leaver the pc alway on or if there were a device that does not requered the PC... and i guest not, that i need to have the pc 24/7 on...

What i would like to control at home is the ligth. so i'm thinking os using wall swith module, but they only say incandesen light. and all my house is with flourescent light.. is there any way to disable the dime option on the wall switch module and it just work as on/off only? so i can use my floursecent light???

can i use my iphone with the activehome software???

Thanks in advances!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »

What i would like to control at home is the ligth. so i'm thinking os using wall swith module, but they only say incandesen light. and all my house is with flourescent light.. is there any way to disable the dime option on the wall switch module and it just work as on/off only? so i can use my floursecent light???

can i use my iphone with the activehome software???

Thanks in advances!!
The DIM function is only part of the problem. The two wire wall switch (WS467 for example) is designed to replace a standard wall switch (only two connections; "line" and "load"). The electronics in the WS467 steals power through the load, and incandescent bulbs will provide this path. CFLs and most standad flourescent lights will not.

The WS13 wall switch will control flourescent lights.
http://www.activehomepro.com/accessories/acc_wallswitch_ws13a.html
However the WS13A needs a neutral wire in your wall box. Not all homes (in US) have this.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Durango-Kid

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:57 PM »

Dave W
However the WS13A needs a neutral wire in your wall box. Not all homes (in US) have this.

Since back in I believe 73 or 78 all wiring in houses will have a neutral wire enclosed in all the Romex 2 wire W ground used in household wiring.  I know I use to wire houses on the side, all the Romex we used for receptacles or light switches had the bare neutral wire in the box unless someone cut it off in switch boxes where a neutral is not needed.
  Most times we used metal boxes & when installing a switch in one we would attach the neutral with a screw to the very back of the box so at least the box was grounded. don't know what they do now days as most houses now have plastic boxes.

My age is 74 so worked in electrical & electronics for many years.  Still learning every day something new.

Forgot to mention I  have 5 of the WS13A's in use around our place. they are currently controlled with a MT13A X10 timer so I can turn them on manually or set a time for them.  Working on getting AHP to control them along with some appliance modules. Lucky when I wired our house & pole barn I put the neutral wire in the switch box so I can connect to it.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 06:16:23 PM by Durango-Kid »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.