Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: FREE - public beta of iHouse  (Read 108449 times)

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
FREE - public beta of iHouse
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »

Hi folks,

I just found out that TJ has made the latest version of iHouse Home Automation a free beta.  Even though officially a beta release, it's pretty bugfree and, in my experience, completely reliable.  It's available for download at:
http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com/

Documentation regarding installation and the macro language is available on the iHouse forum.  The macro documentation doesn't yet cover the latest macro features... because I'm writing it...and I'm slow.  :)

Give it a try and let us know what you think.  Please post any support questions to the iHouse forum.

ITguy

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: FREE - public beta of iHouse
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:02:19 AM »

..I just found out that TJ has made the latest version of iHouse Home Automation a free beta. It's available for download at:
http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com/
..... The macro documentation doesn't yet cover the latest macro features... because I'm writing it...and I'm slow. Give it a try and let us know what you think.  Please post any support questions to the iHouse forum.

A brief look at ihouse.... makes it look pretty impressive! Is it a complete replacement for AHP (and everyother software my HA PC uses)? Does it play nice with the CM15A? Will it work on my olf P3 XP PC? How much will it cost... once we're addicted to it?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »

I just Downloaded ihouse to take a look at it and play with it. All I can say is... OMG.

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »

Hi Dave,

Looks pretty nice and it uses z-wave technology.

Do you see this as a possible replacement to AHP and related plugins or just a complement?

I'll reserve judgment to you and other experts here.

r,
eagle
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:03:48 AM by eagle »

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »

Do you see this as the replacement to AHP and related plugins?

I haven't figured out the software completely yet. The software itself does have a clean profession look to it. It is however different than anything I have ever used before. Yet it seems intuitive enough... I feel like I can figure it out enough to use it without reading a manual.

I was impressed enough that I will be setting up a test PC to put it through some paces.

The timing is a little off [for me] though. Being Christian.. this is festive high holy days of sorts for us (we call it Christmas). Sorta like "recycle days" (in May) are for environmentalist's. But as soon as the new year passes... I will be testing ihouse.

ITguy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »

Hi guys,

I thought you'd like it!

Answers to a few of the questions:

Yes, it plays nice with the CM15A and the VA12A as well.  Currently the VA12A needs to be on the iHouse server computer along with the CM15A. 

The server can be pretty lightweight.  I'm using an old Dell laptop with XP.  The clients, of course, can be even lighter.  A P3 or above should be plenty.

Yes, iHouse should be able to completely replace AHP and plugins eventually.  I haven't used AHP for anything except controlling the "transceive" functions in the CM15A since I installed iHouse a couple of months ago.

The current version does not have the ability for you to view cameras over the web.  TJ is working on it, but it's gonna be a while.  The good news is that iHouse can control Blue Iris camera software even if it's on a totally different computer on your network.  Instructions will be in the user manual, but until I get that written, just look for a "how to" post coming soon on the iHouse forum.

ITguy

ttrolinger

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »

Hello Everyone,
Thanks ITguy for posting all the iHouse info here. I think you are quickly becoming the spokes person for iHouse and I am happy about that because I usually spend most of my time coding.
I do think I should answer the general question "will iHouse remain freeware". The answer is YES! I don’t have any plans to make profit from this software. Matter of fact, once it moves out of the beta stage, I am considering making it open source. Anyway, you are welcome to download it and try it and if you like it keep it. If you do keep and use it, we would appreciate your participation in the iHouse forums http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com/phpBB/ to continue  working out the bugs and features or maybe even help other users work out installation and configuration issues.
TJ

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 09:10:46 PM »

BEST NEWS FOR US AHP USERS SINCE X10 QUIT UPDATING AHP YEARS AGO!

Please add a donate button to your page so we  can at least buy the beer for your late night coding fun!

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:37:36 AM »

This is great software.  In a matter of a few days I've "mastered" the creation of Macros, setting up Areas, installing cameras and connecting to the local weather station.  I've made some mistakes along the way ... but thanks to TJ an ITguy's guidance ... everything works great.  I would have to say the software is very robust.  Believe me some of my screw-ups would have definitely "killed" lessor software packages.

Give it a try if you have a chance.  It's a lot of fun.  And a great product.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »

I agree!  I can only see this software getting better and better!  The macros are easy.  This software has the potential to be everything we want ahp to be.  I agree with Don N completely!  Give it a try!  And for freeware you can't beat the price!  Good job TJ and ITGuy!   #:)    >!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

hawk1

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »

Youse guys need to really take a look at what Ihousehomeautomation is doing!  They just incorporated a video server/client into their software!  This means you can have as many cams as you want on any ihouse server or client and see them on both client and server!   I just loaded the new version today and all I can say is SWEET!!!!!!!! >!

http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com

yancy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »

Hey hawk1,

Glad to hear you have it running already.  I've also been working with iHouse the past 2 weeks and have already fully replaced all functionality I had been using with AHP, plus added more with the great Macro capability.  I'm looking forward to the new Cam capabilities as I plan on having a 3 node configuration and the use of multiple camera monitoring.  One feature I really like is the ability to launch external apps through macros.  This allows me to add some WAF by giving her the ability to launch iTunes so she can play her music off my client device.

ITguy

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:39:17 PM »

Just to expand on yancy's and hawk1's comments...

The video-server function let's you serve video from whatever machine has your VA11A or VA12A attached - the video-server does not have to be the same PC as the iHouse server.  It will also work with almost any other USB "video-capture" device, with the exception of the newer versions of the Pinnacle "Dazzle" series.  And you can record the video on that same server, then play it back on any iHouse server or client on your network!

Check it out, I think you'll like it.

ITguy

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

If only iHouse could download macros and timers into the CM15A.

hawk1

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »

That would be nice!  I don't see that happening though.   B:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.