Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wired cameras on ninja  (Read 23789 times)

abc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
wired cameras on ninja
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »

Need to know how to put wired camera on ninja pan and tilt
Thank you

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: wired cameras on ninja
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:42:54 AM »

The Ninja Pan and Tilt accessory. Uses X10 RF commands to move them and a power line signal to turn them on and off.

The power is controlled by a X10 power line signal to the Ninja's addressable power supply. They work in groups of four. Same House Code and Units 1-4;5-8;9-12 and 13-16. Turn one on in a group the others go off. If more than one is on when the RF commands to move the unit are sent. All that are on will start moving.

Do you have more than one wired camera and the needed X10 controls to cycle through them?

I have never physically mounted a wired camera on a Ninja and hope someone with mounting data can add information.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »

I have never physically mounted a wired camera on a Ninja and hope someone with mounting data can add information.

I mounted a (pretty chunky) wired IR camera (not X10) on a Ninja. I got the idea here at the forum from KDR. The whole idea of that camera is to be seen. The Ninja makes the Chunky IR camera standout even more. My cameras won't deter crime... if none of them can be seen.

Since the IR camera isn't X10 I have to use an appliance module to turn it on/off (as well as slightly modified the Ninja mount with new holes). The Ninja could be set to the same H/U code but mine is separate function... which I can then control (sweep, pan/tilt) with the CR14A remote.... or Voice Commands (youTube Video).

Because of my separate H/U code as well as BVC (Bill's Voice Command) control of the Ninja... I created an AHP macro that turns the ninja off 15 minutes after it is turned on. Just to be sure the Ninja doesn't scan the yard for days on end.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

abc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »

Thank guys for help

Abc

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »

Could someone help me with this please. The rca connector won't reach the tvtuner card input on my computer and also connect to the ninja power supply at the same time. Can anyone provide more detailed info on how to do this? I only want to connect ONE wired x10 nightwatch to my computer but also have it on a ninja.  Is it possible?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »

The rca connector won't reach the tvtuner card input on my computer and also connect to the ninja power supply at the same time. Can anyone provide more detailed info on how to do this?
I only want to connect ONE wired x10 nightwatch to my computer but also have it on a ninja.  Is it possible?
Separate powersupply for the camera.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 03:24:08 PM »

You could get an RCA  composite video extension cable and run it to the video input behind the computer.
Update: I looked in a few catalogs and web sites and finding a RCA Male to Female Composite Video cable to mate with the adapter and the PCs connector. May not be easy to find.

I have also seen extension cables for many style power supply connectors. So you could also extend the power supply wire to the junction connector where the video, audio, power and camera connect.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:17:31 AM by Brian H »

birdzeye

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »

You could get an RCA  composite video extension cable and run it to the video input behind the computer.
Update: I looked in a few catalogs and web sites and finding a RCA Male to Female Composite Video cable to mate with the adapter and the PCs connector. May not be easy to find.

I have also seen extension cables for many style power supply connectors. So you could also extend the power supply wire to the junction connector where the video, audio, power and camera connect.

Brian H.,

I found the required RCA extension at the Dollar Store ;D  and it was....A DOLLAR! :o

BTW putting all my ninjas in one group of 4 did not solve the problem of all ninjas rotating at the same time. Why isn't it working? ???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 06:16:02 AM »

The X10 power line signals may not be reaching the addressable power supplies.
Are you using the Ninja remotes C1-C4 buttons?
What RF transceiver are you using and is the house code on the remote and transceiver set to the same house code as the power supplies?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:45:08 AM by Brian H »

birdzeye

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:48:51 AM »

What RF transceiver are you using and is the house code on the remote and transceiver set to the same house code as the power supplies?

Brian H,

The x10 power line signals have to be reaching the addressable power supplies because I can view and control the camera on each ninja mount. I wouldn't be able to view the camera picture or move the ninja base if the x10 signal wasn't getting through. Of course the house code on the remote and transceiver are set to the same housecode as the power supplies. I'm using a CM15A and an additional RR501 (yes, i know i don't need a rr501 with a cm15a but my cm15a only produces a weak signal so i need the rr501).

The problem is that the Ninjas all stay on at the same time. I think there must be a design flaw with the Ninjas, at least for the ones I've got. Should I send them back or is this normal?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »

If the cameras turn on and off with the commands and the Ninja Power supply is powering them. There is someting wrong.

If the cameras and Ninjas are on separate power supplies than I am not sure what is going on.

I can't say about present Ninjas but my old test base unit stops responding to the remote if it is not the one turned on.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »

The x10 power line signals have to be reaching the addressable power supplies because I can view and control the camera on each ninja mount. I wouldn't be able to view the camera picture or move the ninja base if the x10 signal wasn't getting through.
The problem is that the Ninjas all stay on at the same time. I think there must be a design flaw with the Ninjas, at least for the ones I've got.
Try a different CR14A. It is the CR14A, CR13A, CR12A,  or the iWatchout Software that turns the other three cameras OFF, when you turn one camera ON.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.