Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How to choose a filter or module?  (Read 11568 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How to choose a filter or module?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 06:29:30 AM »

With no signal issues. I believe the Smarthome Repeater is between 5.00 and 6.00.
In my XTBM review I found one branch circuit that has 1.45 volts on one outlet. It is a known fact that two way modules can absorb signals. Well I have four Insteon Modules and an RR501 on that branch. Removing them as a test got me closer to 8.00 volts from my XTB-IIR.
I also found a rechargeable flashlight that absorbed signals.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »

let the hunt begin  ;D

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 11:53:17 AM »

even with the XTBM and maxicontroller plugged into the same outlet I only got likeX1.00 or X0.99 on the readout.

At the same outlet, just plugging the XTBM in the wall it read X0.03 (there is a signalinc repeater)

In the master bedroom the XTBM couldn't even pass the self-test when plugged in with the power strip containing the tv, dvr, etc

In my bedroom, the voltage dropped from X0.63 to X0.03 when the tv was plugged in, and back up to X0.49 with a filter.

Yeah, using the XTBM makes one realize how many "natural enemies" the X10 signal has in a modern day home.

As I have expounded many times; get a blow torch repeater (aka XTBIIR), and 99% of your problems are solved. Buy a filter and solve the remaining 1%.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brandt

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »

Well I have a signalinc repeater, but the signal upstairs is weak sauce, and the signal at the CM11a is almost nothing. I should start by filtering the TVs and computers.

What are the typical filters you guys recommend for power strips containing A/V equipment, Computer equipment, or a mix of both?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:44:01 PM »

Smarthome's 1626 5 Amp FilterLinc and 1626-10 10 Amp FilterLinc are good. Also have a pass through outlet on the front for unfiltered AC.

The ACT AF120 15 amp filter.

X10Pro XPPF is a 5 amp but has issues if you get too close to the 5 amps. I tested one with a set of incandescent lights. 500 watts that is about 4.2 amps. It overheated and the internal coils started to melt.

Granddaddy of them all. X10Pro XPF 20 amp wire in filter and it is large

Brandt

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »

Well without knowing the amperage, what is the typical filter you put on power strips with these sorts of devices, just to play it safe?

The reason I ask, is because I am at work and do not know the amperage. I also work down the street from the Smarthome factory store, so I can pick things up whenever I like.  :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »

I have the 10 amp FilterLinc on my APC BX1000 1000VA UPS and a 5 amp FilterLinc on my power strip for my LCD TV;VCR [remenber VCRs?]; DVD player and Logitech Z-2300 speakers.

Unless your home entertainment system is huge. 10 amps would maybe over rated but a safe choice.

Brandt

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »

Smarthome's 1626 5 Amp FilterLinc and 1626-10 10 Amp FilterLinc are good. Also have a pass through outlet on the front for unfiltered AC.

The ACT AF120 15 amp filter.

X10Pro XPPF is a 5 amp but has issues if you get too close to the 5 amps. I tested one with a set of incandescent lights. 500 watts that is about 4.2 amps. It overheated and the internal coils started to melt.

Granddaddy of them all. X10Pro XPF 20 amp wire in filter and it is large

would the XPF be used for the a/c,furnace,rain-8 sprinkler system,refrigerator,and garage door?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »

The XPF is a very large filter. Needs to be in a three gang electrical box. I have not seen any reports of garage door openers killing X10, but I guess Murphy could always strike. ;D Data sheet on the XPF is on the X10Pro web site under Installation Instructions.
http://www.x10pro.com/

The ACT120 15 amp maybe for refrigerators and devices with high starting currents.
http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/pdfs/PCCInst/af120.pdf

AC? Plug in or whole home? Whole home would be more like see if you can filter the controls and not the whole main feed.

Oh I forgot some use the Leviton 6287 5 amp wire in between the X10 modules load output and the load itself.

Have you had a chance to look at Jeff Volp's Troubleshooting tutorials? May give you a start on where to look first. Not every device in a home has to have a filter on it.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Uncle Phil at ACT also has some good data.
http://www.act-solutions.com/PCC/uncle.htm

Brandt

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

I picked up a 5-amp and a 10-amp filterlinc on my lunch break (that was fast huh  ;) )    we shall see the results when i get home...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 07:41:23 PM »

Sounds good to me.
With the XTBM you can watch signals as you connect and disconnect items and it will give you data on what needs to be addressed.
I know it showed me why my one branch circuit was 1.4 volts from an XTB-IIR. Many signal absorbing two way modules on one circuit.
I am sure that is also why my older repeater had issues with that circuit.

Brandt

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

Does anyone know if the "Kill A Watt" can measure amps?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 06:21:11 AM »

Yes.
My Basic P4400 Kill A Watt Meter can measure Line Volts; Amps; Watts; VA; Hz; PF; and KWH. There are more high end Kill A Watt Meters that can do even more.

Current up to 15 Amps. Only thing I have noticed with mine. Is the maximum current is 15 Amps. So some of my tests with power used by modules is not to accurate, but we are talking maybe 0.05 amps here.

Brandt

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »

I picked up a 5-amp and a 10-amp filterlinc on my lunch break (that was fast huh  ;) )    we shall see the results when i get home...

ok now I have filters on all the power strips containing a/v equipment and computer equipment in my home. The signal is a little better, but barely. The bathrooms get 0.25v or less...The bedrooms are ~1.5v....

...and the main problem is where my CM11a is connected it receives either 0.01v or 0.00v in x10 signals! it is located out in the garage on above the workbench (as that is where my server is)

Brandt

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »

Obviously, I know a lamp module goes to a lamp, etc...

But what is a quick way to find out the amperage and wattage that your device needs/produces in order to make sure you are choosing a suitable filter or module?

So besides the kill a watt, I was looking for something like this:
http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?THP103

Although it only measures up to 15amps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.