Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Returns to X10.  (Read 8560 times)

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Returns to X10.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 07:38:27 AM »

When you buy something defective from your local Walmart, who pays for your gas and your time to return the defective product? Do you demand that Walmart provides you with a replacement product and sends you gas money before you take the defective product back?  :'

I was going to purchase an $800 camera from Best Buy just the other day. Their return policy is to charge a 15% handling fee if I take the camera back within 14 days if it was defective. Did I buy from Best Buy? Nope, their returns policy sucks.

The answer is to purchase your toys from a vendor you can deal with when things go wrong. All vendors have a returns policy, even if that policy states "NO RETURNS".

You pays your money, you makes your choice.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

rickwhoo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »

You are a fool to pay a restocking fee for a defective product. You dont get charged for a defective anything from bestbuy. Name one legit place that has a policy of not sending a replacement product free to replace a defective one and I will prove you wrong. Lets see if anyone can find one except x10.

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 09:37:37 AM »

My experience with X10 on my last order was a mostly positive process which concluded very positively.

But first, some personal notes.  I spent the final 20 years of what passed for a career 'working for the man' in tech support.  Most of the time when a customer called, the complaint was that something was not working.  This usually meant one of two things - the something could be completely non-functional or the something could be not functioning as expected by the customer.  It is critical for tech support to make this distinction early in the conversation.  This frequently leads to the customer becoming frustrated by the perceived lack of action by tech support.  However, if the distinction is not made early, the troubleshooting process is often in trouble from the get-go.

I look at X10 components as just that - components.  It's up to me to put them together and make them do what I want them to do.  (I just wrote and tested my first successful macro.)  If something is not working properly, it's my job to take the first steps and determine if it's me or if the component is dead.  If my testing, and I make notes of each test, determines that component is just not functioning, I will call X10 tech support and, using my notes, explain why I think that X10 might be on the hook to fix or replace.

If the component seems to be alive but not doing what I want it to do, I assume it's my fault and continue testing and making notes.  (For example, I have AT&T DSL and my troubleshooting and tech support interaction notes go back to 2003.)  When I have a problem, I look at my notes first and sometimes will recognize a repeat problem and can fix it based on the notes from the previous experience.  If the problem is new or continues, I search this forum for ideas.

Back to my recent order from X10:

I ordered the AHP package including a number of hardware components and software modules.  All of the hardware arrived but no software.  Upon reading the hardware install notes, I found that I would have to download the software.  I did that based on information gained from reading this forum.  But then I was asked for a registration code.  Back to the hardware documentation...

I should have received an email from X10 with the codes.  Examined my email history for the previous week or so - no codes.  I then called X10 tech support and asked for help.  The very nice tech apologized and said he would send the codes within 5 minutes.  I waited 20 with no email coming, so I called tech support back and went through it again, adding my recent conversation with the first tech.  I did say I take notes.  The second tech apologized and promised to send not only the codes but also a zip file with all of the software modules so I wouldn't have to download anything. 

All this arrived in my inbox within 5 minutes.  Perfect ending to the incident.

On the subject of returns for defective items. 

Amazon.com has a very customer friendly return policy.  I experienced this in December.  Something arrived DOA.  I called, got an RMA #, the promise that a replacement item would be shipped and that when I returned the original item, they would pay return shipping on the original.

They sell X10 stuff.  So if anyone wants to buy X10 components with the option of returning them, check out Amazon.com.  You'll probably pay more but you'll have peace of mind about returning them.

Mel

pcbeachrat

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »

Good suggestion Mel, I will keep this in mind..I do not know if the x10 packages are avaialable such as x10 offers on their site, however, I am no longer interested in x10 products for once I received mine they would not work anyway.In the future this is A good suggestion though.Sears also will charge A restocking fee if you return an item that was purchased on A credit card. I could understand that if the product was in working order and you just simply didn't like it, but I cannot understand paying A restocking fee on something that does not function or work at all.I just can't justifying paying A penalty that is going to be restocked in the trash can.Anyway I fixed the situation with the x10 camera by selling it just to get rid of the hassles..And someone mentioned about returning an item at A local place that they will not pay for the gas..Most people shop within 5 miles of their homes, so if this GREAT camera I bought at walmart fails to work within it's warranty..I will happily throw in the 40 cents I used on gas to take it back, Or I know what..just wait untill I have to go back to walmart for something else and split the cost..wow my return took every bit of 20 cents now and no hassles calling explaning, or begging and kissin butt to get A full refund, then waiting a week on a return shipping receipt, then paying way over the 40 cents I would Driving to walmart,or having the return totally denied when x10 receives it and there is a fingerprint smudge on it..wow did you read the return policy here..geezz if you accidently scratch the base with a screwdriver installing it..You may not get no return at all for you have now Blemished it..even if the internal parts(which is why you ordered for is the insides to work too) does not work..Your out of luck...I know they probably aren't that crude on returns, but reading the policy would make you think so. I know you weren't the one stating about the cost of gas to return it, but that just seemed to cross my mind as I was laughing at the "gas return fee"...and couldn't resist..You did leave A good suggestion though..I pay more on keeping my phone up than I do going to Walmart on 40 cents of gas even though x10 has a toll free number.That is another issue...I have called them a few times 3 or 4 times before I wasn't cut off for some reason and had to redial several times and try different numbers to finaly get through..even though their ad's say something about no waiting, no recordings etc..I have gotten multiple of the above mentioned things that you aren't supposed to have to do when calling them...I will happily pay someones gas to drive 5 miles if they wanna pay my phone bill...A bicycle comes to mind too..I can peddle to walmart in 30 minutes..and that costs nothing, plus it's good for your health
Hmmm>>lets see....Whats fer supper, and Work is for people that don't know how to fish!! Not Original but it beats A blank!!!

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »

Hi pcbeachrat.

My post about my ongoing return at the time was in the thread you started.  But since you've removed it, I cannot reference it so I'll just recount it here to the best of my recollection. 

I placed two separate online orders within hours of each other in early December.  I got the order acknowledgement emails just fine. I called X10 the next day about my orders for some reason but I can't remember now what for (OAS - old age syndrome). 

At any rate, I spoke with a very helpful agent who realized I have separate orders.  He suggested to combine them so that all the equipment will be packed in a single box and I'll have a single tracking number.  I said sure.  Makes sense.  He did just that.  I got an order acknowledgement in the mail shortly thereafter.

The next day, I happened to check my credit card account and saw three bills from x10.  The original two orders and the combined order.  The agent forgot to cancel the original orders.  So, I called x10 and spoke to the same agent.  He was apologetic and cancelled the first order.  He however wasn't able to cancel the 2nd one because it had shipped already.  So, enroute were the combined order and the 2nd order that should have been cancelled.  He informed me to simply return the 2nd box to x10 when I get it and I will get a refund.  He initiated the RMA right away and sent me the info via email.  I had to clarify with him though about the refund process.  He told me that x10 cannot give me a refund right away.  They have to get the box back first before they can issue a credit to my card.  It's their company policy.

Since this error was made by x10, I naturally shouldn't pay for having to ship it back.  The agent agreed and assured me that it will be taken cared of.  Working with his supervisor, x10 sent me a prepaid return shipping label with the RMA. 

So, I got the two boxes.  Everything checked out in the combined order.  All items were accounted for and in working condition.  For the 2nd box, I affixed the prepaid mailing label and dropped it off the nearest Fedex service center.

I tracked the package online until it was delivered to the x10 warehouse in New Jersey.  The Fedex shipping tracker also has a note on specifically who accepted the box.  Nice.

I printed the tracking report and emailed it to the agent I've been working with and his supervisor.  Two days later, the full amount for the 2nd order was credited to my account.  Cool!

By the way, during the whole return process, I paralleled all phone conversations with the agent with emails to him and his supervisor.  They recapped details discussed in phone conversations so I have a paper trail and "proof" of what was agreed upon.  The agent had no problems with it and understood completely.

So from the above, my x10 return experience was pleasant and straightforward.

2 cents and ymmv.

Thanks,
eagle

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30:22 PM »

You are a fool to pay a restocking fee for a defective product. You dont get charged for a defective anything from bestbuy. Name one legit place that has a policy of not sending a replacement product free to replace a defective one and I will prove you wrong. Lets see if anyone can find one except x10.
Who says X10 charges you for replacing a defective product?? Where are you coming up with this poodle gas (a very flatulent dog you know). Your original rant was about X10 not sending you a replacement product just because you said it was defective. Hey, that is NOT an uncommon practice. Now you imply X10 does not replace defective items with out charging for a replacement  (read your third sentence above). All X10 said was to send the defective unit back first. Deny all you want, but that is becoming the norm. Gee whiz go take your blood pressure pill before you stroke out.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rickwhoo

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 12:53:59 PM »

They told me I have to pay to ship it to them. I have never had to pay anything for a defective product return. And you talk funny, where do you come from? What is "poodle gas" maybe something you are full of?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »

They told me I have to pay to ship it to them. I have never had to pay anything for a defective product return.
What is "poodle gas" maybe something you are full of?
Possibly. You won't be the first to think so. But did you take your BP pill yet?  :-*

Yup shipping back a defective product on your dime is becoming the norm. I have had to do it twice since Christmas. If I did not send product first I did not get replacement. One ebay vendor put a replacement in the mail as soon as I sent him the tracking number, but like I said earlier, consider yourself lucky if you have not run into this until X10. It really is becoming the norm.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

rickwhoo

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »

I disagree, it is not the norm. It is the wrong way to do buisiness and I cant find another place that does it like x10. Show me a company that does it.

POST EDIT: Removed confrontational comment from end of post. Original post copied and moved to Administration Area.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:16:55 PM by Puck »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »

What is "poodle gas" maybe something you are full of?

Please refrain from directing insulting comments to other forum members. Posts like this tend to reduce the credibility of the poster, and it can get you banned from the forum.

Please help keep the forum content respectable for all readers. Thanks.

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »

Online vendors (e.g., buy.com, tigerdirect.com, etc.) use their discretion to determine if a product is defective or not.  A necessary measure to mitigate losses from honest customer mistakes and also from actions of a few bad apples.

If they determine that the product is indeed defective, then they reimburse the shipper his shipping costs.   If not, then the shipper eats the cost.

r,
eagle
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:10:50 PM by eagle »

rickwhoo

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »

I bought mine directly from X10 and never offered a refund on shipping cost.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »

I bought mine directly from X10 and never offered a refund on shipping cost.

Did you ask for one?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

rickwhoo

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »

YES,  After they refused to send me a working receiver with a return shipping label for the defective one, they e-mailed me a lablel to return the whole thing and hopefully I get credit to my account.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.