Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PS561 does not dial correctly  (Read 8379 times)

maartsen

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PS561 does not dial correctly
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:57:36 AM »

I am trying to install a PS561 alarm dialer, and running into the problem that it drops digits, randomly, when dialing out. I initially blamed this on the Phonelabs cellular dialing equipment I am using, but then I tested that equipment with my existing (five or six years) PS561, and that dialed fine (and has been installed on VOIP lines since I bought it, first Vonage, now T-Mobile UMA).

When disconnecting the unit, I found that the green "AC Power" light on the console stays on, even though the unit is unplugged, indicating there is a problem with the unit itself, it drains the battery in this state in 4 hours or so, instead of the customary 24+ hours. I wanted to check if anybody else has seen this specific behaviour - I note several members having trouble dialing out on VOIP, which, if the units emits normal DTMF should not be the case, and it may well be that all these units suffer from the same problem. X10 replaced the dialer, and the replacement does the same thing, including the power light staying on.

The unit may be sending incorrect tones or signals into the telephone network, so may be in violation of both UL rules and FCC Part 68 regulations. As there may be thousands of bad units out there, I will follow up with the FCC. Comments welcome.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: PS561 does not dial correctly
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »

$0.02

This is cynical speculation only, but I sometimes get the idea that X10 looks at an established product and contemplates how many components they can remove to save a nickel (or yuan) and still have the product work. Perhaps they crossed the line.

Or taking the less cynical approach, maybe it is an assembly line error. Sometimes incorrect parts gets loaded in the parts bin....sigh.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:26:39 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »

Sounds defective.

If it is new. Contact Customer Service for a replacement.

Also this is a users forum and I doubt any X10 Employee is going to see your comments on UL and FCC regulations.

Could also be someone in China decided to substitute a "almost equivalent" part that cost less.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:25:17 PM by Brian H »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

Didn't someone else report cold solder joints in their unit on the telco input?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »

Yes I also saw the cold solder joints mentioned.

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »

I just installed new unit and have similar problems. Power light stay on even after unit unplugged and unit does not dial digits 2 and 3 correctly. (2 and 3 are not recognized by Vonage adapter)
I tried to ask X10 but from the answers I got I think they do not have any technical staff.
I am thinking of returning the system that is a shame because it work except this problem.  :-[

Randy B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:25 AM »

I just installed new unit and have similar problems. Power light stay on even after unit unplugged and unit does not dial digits 2 and 3 correctly. (2 and 3 are not recognized by Vonage adapter)
I tried to ask X10 but from the answers I got I think they do not have any technical staff.
I am thinking of returning the system that is a shame because it work except this problem.  :-[

-:)
Have you considered keeping the equipment and changing the phone number to something without 2's or 3's?
 :'

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:55 AM »

Well, I did something better. See this post http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=19954.0

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.