Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: universal module vs. chime module  (Read 5856 times)

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
universal module vs. chime module
« on: January 11, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »

just a question, does anybody have both a universal module and a chime module? If so my question is are the chime sounds the same.  I have a universal module and not really too happy with the chime sound. So I was going to invest in a chime module only if the sound was different and hopefully more pleasant.

eagle

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: universal module vs. chime module
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »

Here's what the chime sounds like:

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Sample_Sound_of_Remote_Chime

r,
eagle

paizano1

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:50 PM »

thanks but for some reason i cant get the link for the sound file to work. maybe link is dead, or something.

eagle

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »

I played it a couple of times.  It works.

It takes a bit of time to download.  Just wait for it. 

r,
eagle

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »

The chime is a melody.. nearly doorbell like.... very smooth. The Universal Module is a sharp one tone burst.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

paizano1

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »

thanks got it to play now.. Had to switch computers. vista has troubles.  XP plays fine.  Thank you again.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »

If the Universal Module is set to Continuous until turned off. The beeper also keeps beeping along with the closed contacts.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

Aw.. The sound of my dog back from doggy business.  ;D
The best thing x10 does for us 'round the house btw.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »

..... The best thing x10 does for us 'round the house btw.

I like the chime... and I use a couple of them. But seriously if I hung a chime for everything I wanted a notice for... One.. I'd run short of plugs. And two I wouldn't be able to tell which chime was notifying me about what.

I run a Home Automation computer 24/7 and reap huge benefits from it. My (and my wife's) most appreciated is the voice announcements and warning. Because it is an actual voice message (I type out what is to be said for each notice/warning) there are no limits on the number of different messages.

I've suggested to Bill that he should have a BVC lite. I know some people aren't interested in voice commands... but could really use and enjoy the voice announcements. But people don't need to use the command part to enjoy the many other features of BVC.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »

I like the chime... and I use a couple of them. But seriously if I hung a chime for everything I wanted a notice for... One.. I'd run short of plugs. And two I wouldn't be able to tell which chime was notifying me about what.

I run a Home Automation computer 24/7 and reap huge benefits from it. My (and my wife's) most appreciated is the voice announcements and warning. Because it is an actual voice message (I type out what is to be said for each notice/warning) there are no limits on the number of different messages.

I've suggested to Bill that he should have a BVC lite. I know some people aren't interested in voice commands... but could really use and enjoy the voice announcements. But people don't need to use the command part to enjoy the many other features of BVC.

You can tweak it in terms of pitch and speed by changing a resistor.
Just sayin'
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »

You can tweak it in terms of pitch and speed by changing a resistor.
Just sayin'

BVC allows me to have a talking clock. No soldering required.

eagle

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »

If you use BVC as a lot of folks here do, you can simply use any chime or sound file for that matter for your notices or alerts.  Think of it as ringtones.  :)  You can have a sound for each alert. 

The announcements enunciated by BVC from typed messages is good but sometimes it just cannot pronounce words it does not understand.  It spells it out instead.  Amusing/funny results at times. 

So what we've done is to simply record our own messages with our own voice.  This is similar to the feature we liked a lot on a product called Voice Alert (http://www.voicealert.com/).  We were actually on the brink of buying it along with about 6 sensors prior to coming across x10 and dave_w_x10's website.  What a lucky coincidence.  :)   Now we have the VoiceAlert feature with all the flexibility and power that the x10 affords.

r,
eagle

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »

If you use BVC as a lot of folks here do, you can simply use any chime or sound file for that matter for your notices or alerts.  Think of it as ringtones. You can have a sound for each alert.

I do use a couple wav files also... but I use an enhanced computer voice (Kate16) and I really like hearing from her.

The announcements enunciated by BVC from typed messages is good but sometimes it just cannot pronounce words it does not understand.  It spells it out instead. 

I haven't seen that at all... some things I even spell incorrectly.. to get the sound I want. Like with my clock announcement I spell o'clock as oh clock.

So what we've done is to simply record our own messages with our own voice.  This is similar to the feature we liked a lot on a product called Voice Alert (http://www.voicealert.com/).  We were actually on the brink of buying it along with about 6 sensors prior to coming across x10 and dave_w_x10's website.  What a lucky coincidence. 

Hey thanks! That device gave me the idea for my outside warning announcement.

eagle

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »

Hi Dave,

I was about to click on the order button for the voicealert and spend close to $500 for the console and the sensors when I saw a little item called x10 PowerFlash module as an accessory that can be used with the voicealert console.  After investigating the powerflash, I ended up reading more about x10, learned about the BVC, and I never looked back.  :)

What's good about recording your own messages or audio files is that you have the flexibility to create your own message, record it the way you want, tweak it and rerecord as often as you want.  You are not locked in to canned messages or sounds.

r,
eagle 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:02:08 PM by eagle »

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:24:45 AM »

.......... learned about the BVC, and I never looked back. 

After using X10 for a few years... I came to the forum looking for more ideas on how to use X10 (back in 2006). Finding BVC has kept me in Home Automation projects ever since.

I recently started the S.A.R.A. (Smart Articulate Responsive Automation) project. Ultimately... S.A.R.A. this is less about control and more about service.

Using an antenna enhanced CM15A, AHP, BVC and other software products like WeatherAloud and BlueWatch. I hope to program most lighting and security functions for the computer to control. Less predictable things.. like when I return home (which will be detected by BlueWatch) the computer should ask me [as an example] if I would like the TV or the Radio turned on. Short conversational replies to BVC  should activate the proper macros.

If it sounds a little ambitious... so did BVC back in 2006. I am using Eureka (cable TV series) as a model. If you've never seen the show here is a YouTube clip:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Fsq2OOZ7g

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.