Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My BVC and WeatherAloud setup with AutoHotkey  (Read 11474 times)

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
My BVC and WeatherAloud setup with AutoHotkey
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:08:05 PM »

In my process of setting up WeatherAloud to work with BVC, Dave_x10_L had mentioned to me that he has it set up to save an audio file every so often and then set up BVC to play that audio file when requested.  I noticed that WeatherAloud runs minimized in the system tray.  I began thinking and remembered some time back using a Windows macro program to do some stuff.  I did a search and found an open source program called AutoHotkey.  Using this, I created a couple macros that open WeatherAloud and tell it to read me the current conditions or the current forecast.  This eliminates the need to have WeatherAloud work at saving the audio file every so often.  You can use AutoHotkey to open any program and perform any function in it. 

This will also work with AHP macros using the advanced functions windows command to execute any macros created in AutoHotkey.

I think AutoHotkey would be a great add-on to any AHP setup, and the best part is that it is free open source software.

Dan Bemowski
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

hawk1

Re: My BVC and WeatherAloud setup with AutoHotkey
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »

koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »

Dang, I thought it was so cool I did the post without even doing a search in here.  Well, it's out there again as a testimonial to a great program anyway.

Dan
Dan Bemowski

hawk1

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »

Thats alright.  There is so much data on this forum its easy to overlook something.   >!
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »

but I like the Weather Aloud temperature display in my system tray!! 

I'll even admit (gasp!) to being a weatherbug user.

WA gives me the temperature display in Cincinnati, and WB gives the display in Wilmington, Ohio.

One copy of WA saves the audio file which is read (played) by other computers across the network.

All that aside, AutoHotKey is a great addition.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »

In my process of setting up WeatherAloud to work with BVC, Dave_x10_L had mentioned to me that he has it set up to save an audio file every so often and then set up BVC to play that audio file when requested. 

I have WeatherAloud grab the weather info off the Interweb every thirty minutes. I've watched it... and can't find any measurable amount of time spent downloading the data. Even after writting to a wav file its only a few KB.

As a rule... I've asked the BVC to fetch me the weather every morning for more than a couple years. Recently... I realized thats a repetitive task. So now once my HA setup realizes I am up BVC gives me the weather and turns on the TV for me.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:58:50 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »

I haven't tried the setup of having it save the audio file, but my guess is that you set it up to save either the forecast and/or the conditions to the audio file.  The thing I like about using AutoHotkey is that I can set it up to read any of the information whenever I want without having to set it up to save the file.  If you set up MyCities, you can have it read you the conditions for wherever you like in addition to your default city.

My intent on this is to have it set up for BVC to give me the weather forecast.  Being that my HA computer is in the basement, I don't have it set up to be viewable which is where the voice part REALLY comes into play.  I currently have only one HA computer anyway.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »

........ my guess is that you set it up to save either the forecast and/or the conditions to the audio file. .....
  Being that my HA computer is in the basement, I don't have it set up to be viewable which is where the voice part REALLY comes into play.  I currently have only one HA computer anyway.

You can use ether... or both... current conditions and/or forecasts. I don't use the forecasts myself... because I have so little faith in weather forecasts. The area I live in isn't easy to predict future weather conditions in.

I also use a remote (basement located) HA PC which I rarely look at. I use a computer a lot... but generally its my laptop that I use from my easychair (AKA worlds first automated chair).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:55:42 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mkgriff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »

I also used weather aloud with my BVC.  It checks the weather every 15 minutes and then saves it as a wav file then when I ask it for weather conditions it gives me the temperature, wind direction, speed and humidity.  Then if I ask BVC for the forecast it gives me everything, that's one I don't use too often.
BVC & AHP mean never having to say "TURN THAT LIGHT ON WHEN YOU GO BY"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.