Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: free software to view cameras from PC?  (Read 8141 times)

L16

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
free software to view cameras from PC?
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »

i'm finally putting together a system that has been sitting for a couple years, and i can't seem to find any software that came with it.
curious if anyone knows any free software that is compatable with the X10 VR36A receiver? needs to be able to view 4 different cameras, and i have found some software to view it from another PC so that isnt a problem.
so far it is just frustrating that i can find no way to even see if the cameras work since i can't find out a way to view it yet   B:(

EDIT: forgot, i need it to save video on my hard drive. if not complete videos at least pictures, thanks to any response ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 05:55:24 PM by L16 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: free software to view cameras from PC?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »

How are you getting the video from the VR36A into the computer?
VA11 or VA12?
Composite video input to a video capture card?

If you have a TV that has composite video in. You could test the receiver and cameras by putting the VR36As output into the TVs composite video input.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:12:54 AM »

L16,

For testing purposes, try the free Simple Video tool from iHouse Home Automation, available for download in the iHouse forum at: http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5.

If you have a CM15A, you might also want to try iHouse for your camera needs.  It's free and available for download at http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com/.  You'll need the CM15A so you can control the cameras through the automation software.

ITguy

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »

is Xray still around?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:33:01 PM »

is Xray still around?

It sure is (http://www.x10.com/products/xrayvision_software5.htm). I've even downloaded it to play with it. It was groundbreaking in it's day... which I think was in 1995. There are better free software products.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »

I might suggest the ~ $8 video USB capture devices on Ebay.  http://cgi.ebay.com/Easycap-USB-4-Channel-DVR-Video-Capture-Adapter-/260533317105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

They come with basic software, and can capture up to 4 inputs, although, like the Vanguard software, not full motion on all 4 channels at the same time.  What I have experienced is rotating camera display or a few frames from each camera rotating, so like a strobe view of each.  It will sense motion by changes in the picture and record (DVR to your hard drive) or email you still images.

This item will not incorporate with the X10 remote power supplies or X10 motion sensors, but it is another option.

They are also available on Amazon.com for under $20...   ;)
>!

L16

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:54:33 AM »

thanks for the responses, the video cable i have is the VA12A. i know it works, when i was searching the site for a simple tool to see video i found the DL for the option to put the video as your screen saver and got picture.
@Brian H, first thing i did when i opened the box was test it out on a TV to make sure it works  ;D
just tried getting anything using that DL for XRay, but its terribly slow and kept hitting errors >.<  ugh, just realized you have to have paid for it before to get anywhere with it, oh well.
i do have motion sense hardware (MS14A) that im going to put together soon as i get more time, so i would be nice if you guys know any of the free software that can use it too.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.